Naim equipment to car equivalents

Karajan in a Porsche Turbo = Nait 1.

1 Like

Sorry, I was thinking of the X5, the oversized unnecessary Chelsea tractor for people with no taste and problems in the trouser department. The M5 is fine, though it would be better if it was an Audi.

1 Like

…no it was with me for quite a few years then I moved it on to another young person when I picked up a Dodge Van which carried me through another decade…

1 Like

Perhaps the X5 isn’t such a poor comparison. The 250, great amp though it is, is a hefty beast that uses loads of raw materials (and therefore energy) to manufacture, has no energy efficient standby mode, and weighs a hefty 16kg. Anyone would think it was designed in the 1980s.

1 Like

Bentley? :wink:

I’m one of those people who really doesn’t have a clue about or much interest in cars at all.

This may largely be because I think driving has lost a charm it had decades ago.

More and more urban restrictions on driving, speed calming measures and speed cameras everywhere don’t help.

I particularly dislike speed calming measures in cities which I often think make drivers to daft things, such as speed up between road narrowings or rev up to get past one before the oncoming vehicle in the distance.

Yes speed kills, I get that. Drive as safely as you can and within the limits of the prevailing conditions.

I guess if it saves lives so be it but so many roads/streets have been ruined visually, and don;t get me started on ‘street furniture’ excesses.

Not entirely correct perhaps, but I think it’s a self-effacing part of my persona, and I see so many people consider cars to be status symbols, along with personalised ‘look at me’ number plates.

People are free to spend their money on what they want, maybe it’s a personality thing.

I aspire to good quality devices in many areas but cars are not really one of them.

1 Like

Don’t exclude cars.
Maybe you just want a good reliable car that takes you A to B. There’s quality involved.
Just opt to not acquire a show off one.

:+1:

1 Like

That makes more sense. Though it also makes me want to get an X5 :grin: I am quite contrary though - and I really don’t like Audis :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There was no reference to design in respect of the bmw… so, sorry I wasn’t clear with what I meant!

1 Like

Can’t allow myself to accept that - I think Bentleys are rather vulgar, and am as a result a bit embarrassed about Naim’s connection with Bentley. Ditto the yacht connection :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Disagree: continental GT is a masterpiece

And so was the Mulsanne

:wink:

1 Like

I think my Nait 2 is analogous to a Karman Ghia.
Classic looks and a bit of a cult product. Not that powerful with its own idiosyncratic charm.

1 Like

Good taste! Karman Ghia is beautiful.
By the way:

“Hope to retire in 5 years and visit some European wine country“

If you decide to come to Portugal, we drink a cup of. :wink:

1 Like

My daughter pointed to a car last week when we were strolling thru the neighbourhood: look, the logos are aligned on the wheels she said. It was a RR.

1 Like

The small details… :sunglasses::+1::fire:

Indeed. It just completes the design. Precisely, distinctively right.

1 Like

Good idea. I would live to see Portugal one day.

1 Like

I’m no expert, but the first thing that comes to mind is the MINI.
Fairly compact chassis, with a bewildering array of options that all looks very similar.

C6AC227B-9E9F-470A-A15E-734EE16C2252-19590-00001081A608E333

The old ones also had a chrome bumper.

Went through an “olive” phase.

E418011F-89DB-455D-9754-7107E5830FA7-19590-000010835CFCCE45

The new ones have a big spinning knob to put your wine glass on.

2 Likes

There is some really good wine there, too.

2 Likes