Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

Having successfully installed V4.8 on my UnitiQute V2, the latest ‘stable’ version of the Naim IOS app no longer finds the device from either iPhone 12 Pro or iPad Pro despite network analyzers on BOTH devices being able to see and ping the device.

Anyone else seeing this outcome?Best, J

… and I would add highly unlikely to be caused by 4.8

Have you done restarts of the app and on all devices?

p.s. I’ve moved your post to the appropriate thread to keep as much of it together in one place as possible.

Hi Steve.

Thanks for responding. I’m not sure what you mean by “point me in the direction of this huge file”.

The specific track that I mentioned is from a San Francisco Orchestra recording that is available from Presto Classical among others. This was a hybrid SACD disc from which I was able to rip the DSD layer. Unfortunately, it seems like all that is currently available for purchase is either the Redbook CD or a 24/96 FLAC download. I’m happy to send you the file via Dropbox or your preferred large file transfer method.

I can also send the three other tracks that suffer from the same problem. These were from recordings of Mahler’s third and ninth symphonies, which appear to no longer be in the catalog (but see the Discogs links). These were also ripped from the DSD layer of SACDs.

A few other points to note:

1. Four all four tracks, the amount of the track that plays is the actual track time minus 25:22. So the Mahler 4th track plays for 25:27 - 25:22 = 00:05. Thus I’m not surprised that the recording that @R.K. refers to played without a problem, since the timing of that track is less than 25:22.
  2. I have a second system in my home that uses an Oppo BD-103 universal player, which can also stream files from a music server. This player plays all four of these tracks properly.
  3. In case it’s of any significance, I’m using an Innuos Zen MkII music server. The Innuos app also shows the proper length for these tracks.

Thanks again for your efforts to get to the bottom of this issue.

Hi @JSchmidt

Ping me a dropbox link on steve.harris(at)naimaudio.com and we’ll take a look.

Best regards

Steve

1 Like

Of course Richard,

As ever……….

Oddly enough, the latest updated Naim app no longer appears in the Settings app list on the iPad, but does appear in said list on the iPhone.

Also shifting the Qute2 to Wi-Fi from cable connection re-establishes connectivity, hence my suspicion of v4.8……

Hmmmm

Best, J

Thanks so much for that, I would have been floundering around forever!
Much appreciated.
Best
Chris

No problem, glad all sorted.

Does ND5XS carry RS232 or mini-USB B ?
Mine’s a late 2015 unit

ND5XS has a mini-USB B

1 Like

thank you
then there’s something wrong going with the official page:

Hi Chappers. I am getting the exact same problem on NDX. It says skipped track, then error use Naim app, then eventually stopped press play. Muso works fine, so I suspect 4.8 problem.

This is a well known error that occurs on some of Naim’s printed rear panels of a particular age. In any case the socket shown on the photo is a miniUSB. So if your’s looks like that, that’s the lead you want.

Best

David

Yes the picture shows RS232 printed, but the actual port shown is a mini-USB so the picture is wrong. My drawing picture is from the manual.
The other thing is (I believe) RS232 was only fitted to NDX & changed soon after, my 2014 NDX is a mini-USB, & if I’m right ND5XS was never produced with RS232.

nice
Also , when update is performed using MacBook Air a fully wired USB C (and not A ) to Mini-USB B cable is the right one, right?
In that case may I use the one that comes with an Asus burner since data is involved?

2 min photoshop job to make it right :man_shrugging:

Yes but the issue is that the panels were printed incorrectly for some early production and Naim either didn’t notice or decided to use them rather than scrap them.

I still think it may be technically correct because RS232 is a protocol and not a port specification, but it is quite misleading in the modern age where few people can distinguish it. We had this before :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you do a factory reset after updating your NDX? That is worth a go, along with a pinhole reset of your Mu-so.