Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

Another successful update for N272 using 2012 MacBook Air running macOS Mojave 10.14.6. A data point for support.

No issues were encountered, followed instructions to the letter - I had read the warnings :joy:

CK

3 Likes

Hi Chappers. Yep after signing on and off a couple of times all OK. Probably not helped by the fact we use several iPhones/ipads to control two streamers. Fingers crossed. Thanks both for your comments.

1 Like

A successful update using 2014 MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave 10.14.6. No problems with the N272, and the Unitiqute was OK once I was able to install the driver for the USB to RS232 cable. A big thank you to the community for your help and advice in this thread.

2 Likes

Updated my 272 (from Mac) and Muso (1st gen) without issue - thanks for the clear instructions! Sounding good…

1 Like

Only 2 hours in which is due in part to two slow laptops. One has windows 10 the other is 7 which I’m more familiar with. The USB A - Mini USB B cable is a Ugreen data cable. I’m unable to see the downloaded cable driver in Networks after repeated attempts trying different options on both laptops. I’ve now plugged the cable into the NDS and the windows 7 laptop and it appear that there’s no need for a driver with this cable. Once plugged in it says device driver not successfully installed. But in the in Device Manager it shows CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller. Device status - drivers are not installed Code28. Says update driver clicking on search online for software isn’t producing anything after 5 minutes. I’m tempted to get another cable unless someone says the cable will transfer the upload to the NDS. A bit fed up with this to say the least thought it would take 20 min max.

Ackers

The must read the Naim instructions and do exactly what it says in the order it says it. There is another thread which gives some hints about how to install the drivers. You can’t just download the zip. You have to unpack it and run the x64 file…

2 Likes

David,

All’s well. I did get another USB cable. The other one did make the laptop go bing/bong and said something about a driver. The other cable seemed to do the trick and the driver software appeared as per the screen shots in the guide. Thank you very much for coming to my aid and the notes from the other thread helped a great deal. The power of this great forum is a big thing when presented with queries and problems. I’m now looking forward to a glass of something calming later on and to see if I can hear an improvement in the sound quality. Tidal is up and running and it’s good to see v4.8 in ‘about’ in Tidal. Thank you.

2 Likes

Same here.
Installed 4.8 without a problem but alas…
Long DSD tracks (only when they are .dsf, .dff files play fine as before) is NOT solved… :frowning_face:

DSF file

DFF file

I know @Stevesky is looking into specific DSD files people are still having issues with, so flagging this for his attention.

1 Like

Is it installing the update in a mirrored image kind of way?:sweat_smile:

This looks more like it

2 Likes

is that for real? Or photoshop?
Pretty serious (although funny because it isn’t mine)…

1 Like

It is for real

Should I worry?

no, you shouldn’t worry - several people have noted that happening during install. It’s like it’s checking to see if you’re paying attention!

2 Likes

Haha. All done and playing as before the update. Thank you Clare.

2 Likes

Okay,thx Clare.
Added some pics for extra info if needed.

I sent two of my four problematic tracks to @Stevesky, who was able to replicate the behaviour (Whew, always nice to confirm with weird problems like this that I am not just crazy and/or impossibly incompetent).

The whole lot has now been shipped off to the third party who handled this bit of the software development for further analysis.

I notice from your two pics that the same general observation that I have made applies. The difference between what the Naim app displays/plays and the actual time is about 25:30 (in my tracks it’s 25:22)

Didn’t you change display recently? I’ve seen this happen before. Maybe compatibility issues with new displays in some way :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep new display

Not playing tracks from back to front then?

1 Like