Naim firmware update for legacy streamers

It’s happening - TIDAL just deferred the switch-over by a month to avoid any issues over the Christmas period. It’s now scheduled for 17th January.

1 Like

Hi. I though I would chime into the middle of this. I have a UnitiQute 2 with streamer 4.4. Need to do incremental update to 4.8. I also have a MacBook Pro (MacOS 12.1). I read all the pdf instructions for 4.8 which by the way is sandboxed by the MacOS and says the developer needs to update it. That is only a side issue because one of the installers can find the USB-mini connection (3 cables all from portable hard drives which do transfer data). USB driver is installed and rebooted Mac. My computer is happy. The Naim installer isn’t. I can explain into this is more detail but any ideas on how to get around this minor roadblock? Thanks. Bill

You have to have the product switched on and connected to the computer before you open the updater programme. At least that is the case for PC, so might be true for Mac too.

Thanks David but I did that. Nothing. I just think it is glitch with MacOS 12 because the 4.8 firmware app is just rejected by the OS. I may have to find an old Mac and give it a try. I’ll report back. Cheers, Bill

Umm. I’m not a Mac expert but I think you have to go into setup and tell it to ignore everything it thinks about it and run software from Naim if asked to…

I’m sure this was discussed a couple of times when the 4.8 firmware was first released but I forget the details now…

Did you allow the installation of software from other sources than the Mac’s App Store? See here with screenshot and all:

And this may not be sufficient either - it depends on whether the new update is now “notarized” by Apple, using Naim’s developer ID, making them an “identified developer”. If Naim didn’t do this (I don’t know), you must allow the installation from unknown sources, by making a Ctrl+Click on the installation file, where you should then be able to explicitly allow the installation despite the installation file being of “unidentified origin” or something like this:

1 Like

Hi, Yup. That is good and I have been around the block on this one. The problem is that I can’t find the USB port to update my heritage gadget. I wanted to sort this out because I am planning to buy some really good speakers and probably a Uniti Nova. Time to ditch the Muso. This is for the sitting room and I the speakers will be in way before Naim can deliver a new amp/streamer. So I wanted to update the UnitiQute 2. Sorry back to reality. I can’t get any of the updaters to see USB port plus the 4.8 update isn’t properly signed. Oh well. Thanks very much for you comments. Much appreciated. Cheers, Bill

Hm, not sitting at a Mac here and I didn’t have to do this update, so I am of limited help. Make sure that you did all the things in “1.0 Checking for correct driver installation.” on pages 3 and 4 in the PDF instructions, but you wrote that you did, so unfortunately I can add nothing more, sorry

I suggest asking your dealer to do the update. It takes only ten minutes from the off if you have a PC.

Thanks. I knew it would come to this. I have an ndx 2 that updates on its own and will probably order a Uniti Nova today or tomorrow to replace the UnitiQute. This is only an issue because I heard that Naim as a 12 week wait for orders. I was looking to improve what I had until the new bit of kit appears. Oh, my dealer is a Mac shop. It will be fun. Cheers, Bill

That’s cool. Thanks. Bill

Re Using a Mac to update legacy streamers to v.4.8;

I am not sure why folk are struggling with this as I updated both my NAC-N272 and UnitiQute BT using my MacBook Pro 15” 2018 and the latest Mac OS……

I know this is going to sound obvious but……

1. Before commencing the update, read and reread the installation guide.
  2. Download and install the latest USB device driver using the link/URL in the guide - remove any older USB Driver before installing the latest version.
  3. MacOS will usually object to installing the driver - open the Privacy Settings and accept the option to install unsigned software. You may have to repeat this step when first running the USB Driver installer.
  4. Connect the streamer to the Mac - I used my original USB to microUSB cable and Apple’s USB A to USB C adapter.
  5. Power on the streamer and run the Updater, again accepting the settings option to install/run unsigned software if necessary ….Done.

Tip - watch out for pop up alerts which may appear behind the active Installer/Updater window, moving this window to a corner of the screen may help here. Read and follow and directions in the pop ups.
Tip - if using a laptop keep it connected to its mains adapter throughout.

Note - the above SHOULD work with the latest Apple silicon laptops, perhaps owners thereof might add their own comments…
This isn’t difficult and one doesn’t need to be a computer ’expert’ to complete the task.

KR, J

3 Likes

I got it to work! All that stuff you said is sage advice thanks for it. However I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) with MacOS 12.1 which I know I have mentioned. The Naim installer just wouldn’t see the USB driver which was properly installed and in visible in About this Mac. So I dug out an old PowerBook running Mohave and with USB A sockets. I installed the current USB driver and Naim 4.6 firmware installer and saw they had to be replaced. Seems I used that Mac to install the 4.4 firmware. It all went fine with incremental updates 4.6, 4.7 & 4.8. Not sure why my present Mac didn’t install. I was even using an Apple USB C to USB A adaptor. Anyway, I want to thank everyone who contributed/suggested and say that I enjoyed my trip into Apple archeology. Cheers, Bill

1 Like

Just FYI, I completed the update with a 15” 2018 MacBook Pro running MacOS 12.1.

USB device driver installed OK, once ‘unsigned’ software lockout overridden, and that was it.

As an aside, USB cables can be an issue, especially cheap ones…

KR, J

Glad you got it to work. But for anyone else reading this before attempting it, you didn’t need to do incremental updates. That isn’t a thing with these old streamers, unless it’s especially noted in the release notes.

Hi. I am not trying to be controversial so don’t take it that way but I assume that only the reason one would install this firmware update is because you have an ‘old streamer’. Confusingly, the pic in the 4.8 ‘Update Options’ shows and update from the ‘Current Version: 4.70’ so my assumption was that you had to have 4.7 installed. This is especially true when there are comments in the forums about ‘bricking’ a streamer.
I have to admit, updates on my Muso 1 sound bar and my NDX 2 were a lot easier from the web. And I assume that will also apply to my Uniti Nova when it eventually appears.
Thanks for the comments.
Bill

I think you are geekier than I.
As for the USB cables, I used the same high speed USB cable for all the failed attempts and for the ones that eventually worked. But you can’t go wrong with good quality kit.
Regards, Bill

David is correct, you can jump straight to the latest version from a much older one. You can even save the older ones and jump back to them if you really want to.

Cool

My point was only that whereas you do have to do sequential updates for Unitiserve and HDX, you don’t have to with the old streamers like NDX and of course for the new platform streamers like Nova etc, you don’t get a choice as you can only install what you are offered.

It doesn’t matter to you as you have done it now, but my comment was intended to help anyone who is reading this thread later, when trying to get help with an updating problem.

1 Like