Naim Fraim - Cup Which way is up?

The magnetic North Pole is in Canada somewhere, some miles away from the true North Pole, and its constantly moving - so you would have to adjust them every week.

Iā€™ve tried too and can barely detect a difference. I still think itā€™s a forum prank! :smiley:

1 Like

Agreed. Itā€™s nonsense and even if there was one side that dinged and one side that donged I can not believe it would make any difference to the sound of the system; or at least one which the human ear is capable of hearing.

3 Likes

Did you actually try it? That tells us something!

1 Like

Along with more than a few on here, yeah! It tells you I was willing to try just to hear if there was a different sound to the sides of glass but it doesnā€™t mean I think it was going to make any difference to sound of the system if all the glass shelves were ā€˜he right or wrong way up.

I canā€™t seriously believe anyone would strip down & rebuild a system down to see if there was a change in sound.

I think most of us set up the systems as best we can but thereā€™s a limit to it all.

Iā€™m just going to go and sprinkle some Quantum Dust on my Sondek.

Burn the witch!!!

If @Richard.Dane said do it, then thatā€™s all I need to know.

The Worldsā€™s gone mad. The next thing youā€™ll tell us is that Boris Johnson is Prime Minister!

Careful! If one or two people pick up on that political quip and respond accordingly, you could find Richard moving the thread to the Padded Cell and then moderating it away by Monday!
Best

David

1 Like

Ignore my quip, Iā€™m off to ding and dong my Fraim shelfā€¦

Youā€™ll want either a ā€œdingā€ or a ā€œdongā€ but not a ā€œdonkā€. :grinning:

2 Likes

Both sides sound the same to me, dang it.

Fine if itā€™s a ā€œdingā€ or ā€œdongā€. If youā€™re just getting a ā€œdonkā€ itā€™s worth spinning the balls a bit and also going back to front with the glass. However, it can also be an indicator that thereā€™s a possible issue somewhere else in the Fraim stack such as something not done up properly.

I can confirm that a ā€œdonkā€ is universal with racks.
I donā€™t have a Fraim. I have a Pagode finite elemente MR.
With four screw threaded mini cones under each shelf going into little steel wells within a frame which contains parasitic resonators.
Having four makes it super fiddly to get true, especially so as they turn quite freely with no locking nut.
When a heavy tap thatā€™s held on the shelf gives a dingggg all is good. When a donk or a donkkkk is heard then the little under cones need adjustment. Having four of them itā€™s difficult to determine the one needing it. You guys have it lucky.

I may double check things on assembly and listen to the glass again. It turns out the veneer on the lower shelf on my Fraim base isnā€™t glued on well and is coming off. My dealer has arranged for a replacement shelf under warranty from Naim.

At the same time I am also getting a set of medium stanchions and bolts to convert a standard level. Then Iā€™ll have matching brains and brawn racks (i.e. base + medium + standard + Fraimlite std).

On the base Iā€™ll have my 250DR and the medium level will separate that from the SCDR and XPSDR above. On the brain side it will be phonostage on bottom with the medium level separating it from the NDX2 and 282.

Managed to right my cups, but not wanting to power down managed to do one at a time, the glass ding, dong, dang will have to wait.

Ok being a bit OCD, I decided to power down clear the Fraim and check the cups, balls and glass.

Top glass seemed to ding the same, bottom glass one side definitely ding

Brought back old Mana memories :sob:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.