Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

Thanks Geoff.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that - a real pain. You won’t want to hear this after the event but, apart from at work, the only place where I religiously wear a face mask is on a plane (and it needs to be an FFP2 or FFP3 mask). Hope your illness is brief

2 Likes

Hi Richard - 3 days post event seems atypical, with LF test not detecting until symptoms are well-established (often 36/48hr lag). Hope OK (most are) - my medico contacts report lingering tiredness after symptoms abate appears the primary after effect, which can go on for a week or two.

1 Like

Richard,
Fast recovery and it is recommended to take a supplement of vitamin D regularly.

1 Like

Great job Daniel and thanks for sharing.

The thing I’ve found with the Fraim - especially with a two stack set up but the same principles apply with a one stack like yours - is that it’s like a puzzle. Eventually you will work out what the optimum configuration is to ensure that cables hang optimally and, as others have said, that the boxes are at the correct level on the Fraim.

By way of example I started off with the NAP 300 Head unit on the base of the left stack and the NAP300 Power supply on the base of the right stack as that seemed sensible. I ended up with the PS on the top level of the right stack and the HU on the base level as that ensured that the 300 burndies hung freely and did not touch the floor (which they did in the original configuration). The same principle then applied to the 552 HU which goes on the top of the left stack and the PS on the bottom of the right stack. It took me about 6 goes to work all this out but it’s absolutely part of the fun!

So don’t worry at all if your first configuration isn’t perfect. You will work it out once you have tried a few variations.

1 Like

Hope you get better soon.

3 Likes

Speedy recovery Richard.

4 Likes

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I stacked it this way to get the cables off of the ground, and for its looks. I feel it would look unbalanced with the Hicap on the bottom. I also wish I could have placed the Fraim a little further from the back wall, but I can’t because it would be too far into the listening room.

Only the Burndy slightly touches the wall in one place. As for the SN2 volume being low, I don’t mind this at all. I use the remote most of the time. It was all about the best compromises I could make, nothing being perfect. Either way, the system sounds better to my ears than it did before, so I am very happy. The Fraim also looks awesome compared to the Quadraspire.

Do you really have to take it apart every 6-12 months to tighten everything? I screwed in everything pretty tight so it shouldn’t loosen.

2 Likes

Get well Richard!

2 Likes

Maybe a tautening up in six months time if you feel the need to disassemble for cleaning or rearrangement of the gear but other than that i wouldn’t worry about that rumour. Mine has never came loose in the two years since building mine. It’s a domestic HiFi rack, not a rally car. Enjoy.

2 Likes

I have ordered, now I’m waiting :star_struck:

3 Likes

Question. what are the circular clear plastic bits included with the Fraim base and shelves? I did not see them mentioned in the manual. Also, the 3m paper?

Are you referring to the glass locators which help secure the glass onto the bearings? They’re not essential.

Thank you!

You don’t “have to” strip the FRAIM down every six months Daniel but by eight months mine had loosened off and the sound improved after a rebuild. Not a “rumour” or conjecture, fact! Happy listening

One reason why I am very happy with my non adjustable Isoblue!

One of the numerous reasons not to buy a FRAIM. Life’s too short for all that malarkey…

What an odd thing to say. Fraim is no different to any other rack out there. It comes flat packed, you build it, job done, it’s no big deal. Same as an Argos TV unit, you build it from scratch, plonk kit on it and enjoy it. If it keeps coming loose it’s because you’ve built it wrong. Literally.:thinking:

Actually, Fraim is different to a lot of other racks. Having had Fraim and now having Isoblue, they could not be more different in terms of ease of assembly and general tweakiness. Which way up to put the glass? Are the spikes exactly centred on the cups? Is the glass centred? Is it exactly level with the front? No matter how well you build it, it needs tightening after six or eight months. The metal compresses the wood and it works loose. Once tightened two or three times it will stay fine for a good long time but it’s still wise to check it once a year. To say it only comes loose if you’ve built it wrongly is plain silly.

None of this is to say that Fraim is not a great rack. It is. But it comes with an ongoing need for attention if you want to ensure continued peak performance.

2 Likes

I’ve only re-tightened mine once and i think that was because i didn’t do it tight enough to begin with. I do strip my system down every six months or so for cleaning or trying a different arrangement of the kit. It has stayed solid. Saying that though maybe if the rack were to sit on a suspended wooden then perhaps that maybe a different story altogether. Mine doesn’t.

Personally if i have any gripe with the Fraim then it would be with the glass shelves sitting on ball bearings. It can become very easy to forget how easy they can move and scoot off.

2 Likes