Naim front end for active ATC’s

Regarding the SCM40 actives. Do you leave them on all or the time, or turn them off after the listening session is over. I do note the grills on the amp run warm/hot.

Thanks.

I actually contacted ATC regarding this since I was worried that they run quite hot, even when idling. So obviously there’s no automatic standby built in the amps. Here’s direct quote from the e-mail:

"We would suggest that if our electronic products are not going to be used for 8+ hrs or more you turn them off.

At idle they consume 40W.

Kind Regards,

Ben Lilly. ATC."

Power consumption is per speaker so 80W combined when idling. It’s quite steep so now I turn them off for night and work day and turn on when I get back home. I’m planning on adding remote controlled power plugs for the speakers since the power switch is in quite a difficult place. I’m just wondering if these remote controlled switches affect sound quality.

interesting mine have been on for over 2 years , except when we have been away on holiday.
Ours are used for TV monitors so they do get used pretty much everyday.
80w is quite a lot of energy (cost)

if we say 15p per kwh then that’s close to 1.2p/hour… heck is that really £105 per year? Adds up doesn’t it?

yes that’s significant chuck of our electric bill, I can see me turning them off from 10pm to 5pm … but nothing compared to the old Class A Musical Fidelity amps.

You’ve spent a decent amount on some rather good speakers. I’d not power them through remote controlled power switches. I’d switch my garden pond pump with one but a 7k pair of speakers…

1 Like

Not something I’d want to take a chance on. Some of those switches are only intended for low power appliances, so I’d proceed with caution.

Leave mine on all the time

What are you basing these comments on? Have you tried if the remote switches have effect on sound quality? All my gear is powered with Naim stock power cables worth probably around 5 euros/piece so I’d say price is irrelevant in this discussion. I wouldn’t buy the cheapest switches possible though. One I looked was specced for ~16A/3600W loads so I guess pair of ~40W active speakers won’t give too much trouble. If I decide to try these I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

I am considering setting up a second system in the living room and am seriously considering ATC speakers. I’ve heard passive 19’s; both passive and active 40’s and active 50’s - all have impressed me with their natural and transparent reproduction, and real musical engagement - the active 50’s (in a much larger room than mine) were probably the best non-live music I’ve ever heard.

Initially I was thinking of perhaps a Naim SN2 and ND5 XS2 into passive 40’s (I have an Atom in the study and I am knocked out by it).

However, having recently heard the active 40’s I am seriously thinking that these could be the answer.

The question is, what goes before the speakers?

I could use the Atom, as suggested above, but I wouldn’t want to lose it from my study, so it might mean buying a second.

However, a few days ago I randomly walked past a hifi shop, an ATC dealer, which I didn’t even know was there. I popped in and told them what I was thinking. They suggest I listen to a Roon Nucleus (I’m already a Roon subscriber) and a Bel Canto 2.7 DAC straight into active 40’s.

The Roon is £1,500 and the DAC £2,200, so nearly twice as much as a second Atom (though I notice the Atom has risen in price by 10% - still too cheap IMHO), and almost exactly what a 272 costs…

I have not heard this combination yet, has anyone else got any experience of them?

Thanks,
Tony

PS I realise a lot of this is non-Naim, please forgive me. One way or another I could very well end up with Naim equipment again, I am a great believer in the quality, pedigree and ethos of the company, and there is still plenty of auditioning still to do.

What are you running Roon on at the moment ? If that’s a satisfactory solution then no need to go the Nucleus route. If going active with the ATC speakers I’d look at other Network / preamp solutions (Auralic ?) that can act as a Roon endpoint. Unfortunately the 272 can’t do this as its based on the older streaming card.

Hi James, I am using my iMac to the Atom via Chromecast at present and it is excellent.

There is a lot of talk about a replacement for the 272, and if so, that could be an answer if that is a Nova++ without the power amp, that could work well.

However, if there is a list of suitable streamer-only pre-amps that would be worth listening too, that would be useful to have.

At present I do not listen to my CDs, but I still have them, and if ever the streaming services disappear, it would be useful to be able to use a NAS too.

I live in the South East if the UK.

Thx
Tony

Have a look at the Auralic range - the Vega G1 and G2 seem to pair well with ATC’s and seem to feature together quite a bit.

1 Like

I just recently moved from SN2 + passive 40’s to Linn ADSM + active 40’s. There’s a night and day difference between passive vs active 40’s. If you have option for actives, go for them. SN2 simply isn’t enough power for passive 40’s, even with HiCap DR. Just be sure that 40A’s aren’t too big for your room. I was “forced” to go the Linn route since I needed room correction for the low end, which Linn offers with Space Optimisation. Otherwise I would’ve considered Naim front end and other options also. I did test 19A’s with 272 but that didn’t impress me that much. There’s more about my journey in the SCM40 thread.

One option could be Naim DAC V1 and wait for possible 372 in future.

1 Like

There IS another option…

Use smaller satellite speakers (with less bass) as they won’t excite the room resonant modes anywhere near as much as “full range” speakers will; then use a sub with room correction either built in or using a filter such as an Antimode box or a miniDSP unit.

Hi Tony , I have Active 40’s here using a Uniti Core into a Benchmark DAC3 HGC Dac/Pre which is perfect for the ATC’s .If the dealer is the one I think it is , they stock Benchmark too . I wish it had a streamer built in though and share your desire for an updated 272 as the new Naim streaming platform is brilliant . As James mentions the Auralic Vega streamer DAC’s are excellent into ATC’s . I’ve heard the G2 a couple of times and its a really impressive piece of kit . I wish Naim made something similar .

1 Like

Hi Pete, I cannot see Benchmark on their website (the place I went into is in the West End in London), they were really friendly and helpful, but I did not have an audition as I just stepped in off the street.

I will put the Benchmark on my list and try to list to listen to as many set ups as possible before I buy. I am in no rush so I will also see how things develop with Naim.

Thanks for all your help.
Tony

Thanks Patu, what Linn pre-amp are you using? I would like to have a try…

I used to have a complete Linn system, LP12/Ekos/Troika/LK1/280/Isobariks…

I still have the LK1 on a shelf, with its LK280 brother, but I don’t think it’ll be much help, it’s not been switched on for 20 years!

That’s great advice, I will certainly listen to the Auralic options!

I use Linn Akurate DSM, one box only which has streamer, dac and pre-amp. Works great straight to SCM40A’s. Linn Silver XLR’s for connection.

1 Like