Naim Gear - USA move to EU (Current Question 110V to 220V)

Hello Naim Community.

I have some Naim gear (Superunity/Atom) 110V and contemplating whether to sell or deal with the current issue once in EU. My fellow HiFi peeps here are telling me to better off selling and not risk increased noise floor that may come into play once in EU.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Apart from the cost of the voltage conversion, you have the cost and risk of transporting the gear. I would be tempted to sell them and buy replacements here, where you may find that used prices and availability are better than in the US.

Availability of Naim depends a bit where you are going to. Out of interest, which country do you plan to move to?

You should enquire about the cost of voltage conversion, so you can deduce which is the better option. Email support@naimaudio.com
There won’t be any noise floor if you have the units set to 240v.

Moving to Lisbon, Portugal and there’s quite a few Naim ADs out there. The transport risk is another issue I didn’t fully consider. Makes sense to sell as the resale value on Naim gear is decent in the US.

I haven’t tried this myself but a lot of European professional construction equipment runs at 110V for safety reasons, so there are a number of portable 230-110V transformers.

If all else fails, using one of these may possibly give you an alternative solution, so long as it is of at least 1kVA capacity. It has the added advantage of acting as a Balanced Power Supply (BPS), so knocking out any asymmetric mains noise for you as well.

We use a 5kVA BPS for our larger Naim system and have found it wholly beneficial.

Just a thought.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Sell and use as a reason to upgrade.

Re. the 110V safety thing… never understood that. I was always told it’s the amps that kill not the volts. Doubling the amps sounds less safe to me… anyway what do I know?

Yes the balanced transformer sounds an excellent idea… kills two birds with one stone, and very cost effecting I’d think. Strongly recommend going to Airlink Transformers.

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies gents, much appreciated!

It’s true that it’s the current that kills, not the volts. But it’s the current through you, not the appliance, so if you grasp a metal conductor with a wet hand, you will get a big current flow and may die.

In real life people aren’t usually that stupid, so they might inadvertently touch a live wire or metal part and the resistance to earth (as long as they aren’t in a bathroom with a wet floor!) is probably quite high. The current flow would be half as high with 110 v as with 220V, so half the killing potential (pun intended!).

As well as that, 110 volts will give you a bit of a jolt, but 220V (or 240) will give you a much bigger one. From personal experience I know that touching 240 V even with a dry finger and with rubber soled shoes can still give you a very unpleasant jolt that you don’t forget.

I wasn’t there to see this, but at a company I used to run, an electrician was doing work at the weekend on something in a 12 storey office block and although he wasn’t supposed to be anywhere near the incoming 3 phase 450V main, he was daft enough to try to measure the size of something with a metal tape measure. He touched a live bus bar with the tape measure and was thrown across the room by the jolt. He survived, but took the building supply out and when they called me the mission critical IT systems were all shutting down because the air con in the server room was off. It was a bad moment when I said “well turn the supply on again then” and the reply came that they had tried that but something in a duct caught fire so they had to turn it off again…

1 Like

Slight side note: Many, many years ago I was building a mass spec. that used a 10KV supply for the ion detector. I once touched that… I had to go sit down for a good 10-15 mins after that… I didn’t do it twice. Also, stripping the wires off a telephone cable with my teeth when it started ringing… something else you don’t do twice :slight_smile: All good fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

10 KV! That’s a real demonstration that “its volts than jolts but mills that kills”.

Yes it was very low current but it made the bones in my arm crack like rifle shots! :slight_smile:
Happy Days :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.