Naim HDX vs NS01

Hi ajm - I’m not intending to stream from a PC.

As mentioned above, you have a problem as the Innuos only has a USB output. To get this to work into the NDAC you will need a USB to SPDIF converter.
In the meantime it will work nicely as a UPnP server into your SU.

Hi Chris

Yes, so it seems :frowning: I went through the DAC manual again. I’d forgotten about the UPnP route.

The DAC-V1 would have been the way to go for the USB connection, methinks. But the Naim DAC will enable me to hook up more components.

I would have gone for a Zen Mini as this has the SPDIF output you need and all the same functions that you get with the Zen.

Er yes, Chris. What’s that saying about haste and repenting at leisure?

There are a few Zen Mini Mk IIIs going on eBay for not a huge amount more than I’ve paid for the Zen Mk II (although adding the optional separate power supply would have bumped the cost up, although that could have been added later).

Oh well…

Okay, so an update. The Zen Mk2 and Naim DAC are on the way. In the meantime, I have an opportunity to get an ex-demo Supernait 3 and an ex-demo ND5 XS2 from my local Naim dealer at a very attractive price, especially with part-exchanging my Superuniti.

The issue I have is that ND5 XS2 would, I believe, duplicate the streaming functionality of the Innuos. Almost certainly, the Naim would win in the sq stakes, but bear in mind that I really only use streaming for BBC Radio 3 and Spotify and I am wondering if the ND5 would be unnecessary duplication and that the extra money might be better spent on an external power supply for the Naim DAC.

(I can run the Innuos into my little Mobile Fidelity V-DAC, which has a USB input, at least for the time being).

Remember that if you lose the streamer you are back to the problem of having no USB input on the NDAC, so you would have to use a USB to SPDIF converter to connect the Zen.

True, but I did mention that I have the Mobile Fidelity V-DAC, which has a USB input, which could connect Zen to the amp separately from the NDAC, which would look after the other digital sources.

Seems like a waste to use the Zen and not run it through the much more capable NDAC.

Agreed, Chris, but I was only considering the V-DAC as a temporary solution until I can source a suitable and good quality USB to SPDIF connector - any thoughts?

Never used one to be honest as I have a Naim streamer. I think a few forum members have used converters so maybe someone will be able to suggest one. Maybe @Filipe ?

Lots out there. Audiophileo is good, as is the Gustard U12. There are also good convertors from Mutec, Berkeley, Yellowtec and others. If on a budget the consider the Hiface.

1 Like

Yes as Richard says the Audiophilleo (+ PurePower) is good. It runs off the PurePower which only charges when you are not playing music. I got mine preloved for half price from the one UK dealer near St Andrews. Only does upto 192kbps. Combined with Innuos Zenith, which has a really good App now, the nDAC sounds wonderful. No need for expensive BNC cables either as it fits direct to the nDAC.

Phil

Thanks for the input guys.

There’s a M2Tech Hiface Two going on eBay at the moment, finishing tomorrow, starting at £50.00, and also an Audiophileo + Pure Power USB To SPDIF for £650.00 or make offer. Is this a reasonable price?

Won the Hiface! £67.99 :smile: Not too shabby, considering they’re around £165 new. So the Innuos will now be able to chat to the Naim DAC :smile: Now need to see what coax cables I have lying around idle…

It had occurred to me earlier that, if push came to shove, I could always hook the Innuos up to the DAC in the Marantz SACD player, which has a USB input for the purpose.

[Richard.Dane] Leader

“The HDX is far superior to the NS01 in performance, however, both are getting on a bit now and parts and support must be starting to become a bit of a problem.”

That’s interesting - I though the HDX was identical to the NS01, just without the display (and supporting digital electronics)?

No, the whole analogue output stage from the HDX is different and far superior to the one in the NS01. The former is also upgradable with a XPS or 555PS …

1 Like

The bare bones are similar, but that’s about it. The NS01 was designed to be networked (Netstreams/Naimnet) with just a basic analogue output, which in most case would probably never be used. The HDX though was designed to not just be networked but also one that could be used as a high quality stand-alone player with a full touch screen control, an uprated power supply, high quality analogue output stage and the ability to be further upgraded with an off board power supply.

2 Likes

Ah, OK, thanks. Looks and specs can be deceiving!

It’s a pity Naim didn’t replace the HDX with the same type of component. A high quality hard disc player, as opposed to a server could, I think, still have some mileage in it from the sales point of view.

I have a Yamaha CDR-HD1300 with, if memory serves, a 120Gb 3.5" hard drive. Unlike the later 1500, this one won’t take a bigger drive. The hard drive is easy to swap for another one, but thanks to Yamaha’s proprietary software, it’s a complete nightmare if you want to back up the contents onto another drive. And you can’t even put the hard drive from one Yamaha into another Yamaha of the same ilk without formatting the drive first, so you’d then lose whatever was on it. Gawd knows what the engineers/designers were thinking about.

And of course there’s no networking, no downloading of album art and track info, etc. You have to manually input titles and track info, which is a total pain as there is no keyboard input.

But copying discs is straightforward and you have a choice of digital or analogue inputs and outputs, so you can record LPS, cassettes, whatever takes your fancy, and then burn CDs of them, should you so wish. And it does sound half decent.

I am currently using it as the basis of a small system in my bedroom.

It would be great if Naim were to produce a successor to the HDX with the analogue recording abilities of the Yamaha and the interchangeability of the HDD/SSD that the Core has.

One can dream…