Naim hiss

Well, you can’t remove it from the naim gear, so you can’t try it,
But it’s nice to see naim are getting better at reducing it with the new kit, so obviously they also feel it’s worthwhile doing to inpove things.
As said unwanted noise is just that unwanted, and it’s always there in the background.

1 Like

Noise levels went down a lot here when I added Puritan 156.

I can’t hear any hiss unless I put my ear close by the speakers in my big Naim system. The SL2s have new tweeters too. No physical hum from the amp or power supplies either, unless someone in the house turns on an electric blanket or uses a hair dryer…

3 Likes

For a long time my SuperCap - but not the 552PS next to it - hummed audibly, especially in the evenings. It was only recently that I noticed that the humming had stopped - I hadn’t heard it in months. I assume it was an appliance a neighbour had been using.

Then one evening it started up again, quite loudly. I noticed that my daughter was using a hair dryer upstairs. I asked her to turn it off for a few seconds and turn it on again for a few seconds. Sure enough, it was as if she was flipping a magical hum switch.

Since moving to our current home in the mid 2000s I’ve been lucky with such issues, as they can be difficult to fix. Many forumites more knowledgeable than me have commented that DC offset is a problem, with switchable voltage devices (such as electric blankets, heaters, hair dryers) being particularly bad for causing it.