Naim Integrated & Combo Recommendations

Hi guys,
Quick question: How does the XS-2 (70w) compare to the 152xs/155xs combo? I have the opportunity to swap my new XS-2 for a demo 152xs/155xs combo. I’ve read the 152/155 is basically a “separates” version of the XS integrated? However, I wanted to ask you guys for your thoughts & opinions? Is there substantial increase in sound quality?

Thanks,
JSB

Never owned that combo but have owned the first two versions of the NAIT XS.
I think it depends on your longer term plans here.
I’d not expect that pre/power combo to quantify as a significant improvement over the already very capable NAIT XS 2.
I may have mentioned it elsewhere but you really must consider your system as being far more than just the black boxes.
The cabling and rack being as important as the electronics themselves. The mains supply is also an important system ingredient and dedicated mains is discussed at length elsewhere on the forum.
I’d start by asking yourself how much you’re really prepared to spend in the pursuit of improvements.
If I was looking at building a pre/power system I’d personally be looking at a 282/250 with a HiCap, if you aren’t prepared to go to that level of system/cost you will find a measure of improvement and increasing enjoyment from better NAIT’s adding PSU’s and improving the source components potentially also with PSU’s.
I’d stick with the NAIT and add a HiCap for example which gives you a nice path either to a Supernait 2 or 3 or a decent spec pre/power.
Mostly comes down to time and budget inevitably but if you choose to gravitate towards a pre/power system expect to have to spend a lot more to get the system optimised and working at its best.

As been asked before, where are you headed?

I choose to go with integrated since I was building a system to go into retirement with and was thinking as I age I may be moving from a house to a condo with less space. If I was 20 years younger may have went the separate boxes route.

I will say I was very pleased with my 2 boxes with speakers, ND5XS > XS 2 > ProAc D2 system. Over the past three years it has transitioned to a XPS DR > NDX 2 > HiCap DR > SuperNait 2 > NAC A5 > ProAc D30RS.

Good luck with your choice no matter which direction you choose!

I went from Nait XS to NAC152XS, NAP155XS. Very pleased.

The sound is cleaner, tighter, more involving, more Naim. I realised that although I had been delighted with the Nait, it was actually a bit wooly. As I keep saying, Naim make pre and power amps for a reason.

Is it the same reason they make integrated amps as well?

1 Like

Haha!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.