Naim IPv6

Hi, IPV6 is near pointless inside your home network and not worth worrying about. The point of IPV6 is to provide more public IP addresses as the IPV4 pool is limited, not private internal ones where ranges can and are re-used literally millions of times over.

Some may say IPV6 allows the removal of NAT. That’s an idiots idea. 99% of routers used in homes have zero intelligence as a firewall and rely on a stateful inspection NAT table to provide any isolation whatsoever between the internet and your home devices. Take that away and most home networks will be infected by malware in hours. You can of course fit an intelligent firewall and not run NAT, get your wallet out and expect to have to maintain and manage on a daily basis. You would be open to the internet and relying on the skill of whoever configures the device to keep you safe. I provide and manage networks for a living; the best security you can have is isolation, don’t rely on software. NAT does this and for most cases causes little issue.

Phil

Yeah Phil, but how does it sound, eh? Thats what everyone here needs to know. 6 is bigger than 4, so presumably sounds better.

1 Like

Hah, now that’s a great question and one i have absolutely no idea about!

The point is that you don’t need the private ones. But the bigger point is that, even if slowly, that’s where internets are heading, and have been for a long time. So in 2020 it’s reasonable to expect support, even if, as in the case of Naim, temporarily disabled.

The internet, yes. An internal home network, no. Never ever seen an IPV6 only internal network. Ever. Anywhere.

@Pipdan not sure if you read the whole topic, but the concern is not now, but the future when IPV4 is gone. It may sound a long way ahead, but it soon comes around

You have a private Tidal and Qobuz cache on your LAN then I guess!

Unquestionable customer service already contributed in the thread from the man who signs off on what code goes out to our products so hopefully that answers the question sufficiently.
Read as a reasonable and well considered answer as I saw it anyway.

1 Like

Well the original post was about not buying a Nova some years ago due to it not supporting IPV6. That’s a wasted opportunity for something that can give joy for 20 years still!

IPV6 will come that’s for sure and many ISPs are starting to offer it due to the lack of available Public IPV4 addresses. This means internet facing routers need to support IPV6 right now but for the foreseeable future an internal device that may or may not support IPV6 is simply not an issue. We already have IPV6 internet links that retain IPV4 behind routers, that’s got at least a decade of life in it yet. A simple /24 IPV4 range supports 253 active internal devices, a /23 supports 509 and it doubles with every step. Internally in any premises behind NAT there is no pressure to replace IPV4 and likely never will be, so the take up of IPV6 internally just does not have a driver to force it. I’m sure internal IPV6 will come as software development costs make rationalisation a sensible approach but in the timescales we have available every equipment manufacturer will have ample time to bring their updates to market.

Correct.
It is a shame as ipv6 has advantages for the home network … including the option of eliminating dhcp and using more reliable discovery, replacing ARP with NDP and even having more secure addressing options for local only ipv6 addressing (ipv6 ULA). … this could help home networks. The other benefit is when using internet as increasingly ipv6 routing across the internet is quicker than ipv4 improving latency on streaming. There is far more to ipv6 than just additional addresses out on the internet… I think that is what the layman only associates with ipv6.

Naim is one of the few items on my home Lan that only operates in ipv4.
I suspect it is only a matter of time before ipv6 will be supported by Naim … and I guess Naim will explore because it can remove many interoperability issues that otherwise occur with ipv4… even my smart TV uses ipv6 and only uses ipv4 if it needs to… and needs no user setup for ipv6 to just work!
I suspect many are using ipv6 on their home networks but don’t realise it which is how it should be, but are probably only aware of the additional ipv4 settings because they often need to be exposed to check or setup.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.