Naim kit - on or off?

Sorry, I have no idea what a state pensioner in the UK makes or if they all have the same income, nor what you have saved or what you spend for living, etc. You asked a question that is impossible to answer. It’s different for everyone, e.g. I can happily say that this question occupies zero percent of my thoughts, but then I have no dependents, have a good income, am living pretty frugally in many respects, and always made sure that my rent and my monthly savings are the same amount. It’s different for everyone, so I don’t know how anyone can tell you what to do

2 Likes

Thankyou Mr. M thats the answer I was looking for.

Some years ago my wife and I went through a very bad financial patch. I won’t go into details but suffice to say that selling the hi-fi was something we didn’t even need to think about. We just did it and raised £10K.

An expensive hi-fi is a luxury item. If you find yourself in any sort of financial trouble then luxury items should be the first to go.

I agree that owning an £80K system and worrying about energy bills does not make sense. Worry when you only have £100 in the bank, you are on benefits and your wife is seriously ill.

It really doesn’t matter what assests I have system wise or what my fixed income is or what I can sell, if I had to, it is simply getting ready for the doomsters forecasts and how we should budget. All I wanted to know was is it good economics to switch off the Naim system to help reduce/keep economical /help my outgoings in terms of energy.

1 Like

Switching it off will reduce your energy bill, that much is obvious. Whether you need to do it, isn’t :slight_smile:

Why not work out the power consumption of the system (see other threads on this) and then you can see how much it’s actually costing you to leave it on 24x7. That might help you decide whether to leave it on or turn part or all of it off when not using it.

1 Like

Hi James
Sensible suggestion but I think the best answer is to switch it off unless I want to listen one evg. rather than leave on all day when not listening or am out

4 Likes

I have 8 boxes always on. My electricity bill is around 30 euros per month. If switching off when not listening, maybe I would save 5 euros.
So personally don’t bother.
My gas bill is much more important. I tend to take less baths than before. But go more to sauna then. :grin:

1 Like

Yes it does, as it is this that governs the extent of the impact of fuel price increases on you and your family.
If it gets to a point where you cannot afford to run it at its optimum, then switch it off. As HH implies, any “doom” appears manageable.

1 Like

Off.

Yes, it is.

Phew, that was easy.

Mark

2 Likes

whilst I agree hi fi systems are a luxury and, has already been said, sell it to raise money is a no brainer,
but if I can put in place initiatives to accomodate the increase in prices we are all facing regarding energy, and these can include powering down 24/7 system without causing too much sound degradation (which was the point perhaps of my badly worded question) then that is a helpful
tool to employ.

2 Likes

Pretty obviously, since electrical equipment uses electricity which costs money, the answer is yes.

Whether it will be of significance or importance to you in terms of the money saved only you can tell.

Yes powering down will degrade the performance, but again only you can tell if that’s something you can live with.

Facing the worrying hike in the energy costs over the coming months, although I can wear lots of clothes to keep the heating off in the winter, do I really have to turn my naim boxes (12) off rather than keep them on 24 x 7. Being a much ignored pensioner in the income stakes and having spent most of my savings over the years in keeping Salisbury well oiled, how do I react to this dilema?

Sell the twelve, get a Muso, or a Nova

Spend the balance on thermals

seriously I hope nobody takes offence at my comments .

2 Likes

Try it and see. Some people think the sound is OK after 20 minutes of being powered on, others think that it can take days to come back on song.

1 Like

I hate to be the bearer of possibly unwelcome news, but, even with a system on the scale of yours, you are going to be disappointed if you anticipate saving enough on powering your system down to cover anything more than a tiny fraction of the likely hike in your energy bills.

Mark

1 Like

Since I started powering my system down, and then replacing my 135’s with active ATC speakers, our energy consumption appears to have dropped by approximately 2kwh a day.

It would be instructive to monitor your household consumption over,say, a week with the system constantly powered up, and a week with it off, or off until required.

Good Idea! will try that for interest

1 Like

It’s a valid question and I can see you’ve got lots of fairly unhelpful answers. I’m sure lots of owners built up their systems over time when they had a higher level of expendable income or perhaps their financial circumstances have changed - they’d prefer not to sell the system which they really enjoy but wonder how they can reduce the running costs during a time when energy costs are sky rocketing - seems reasonable to me. Also, just because one could afford a 12 box system at one time does not imply that leaving it on 24/7 has no environmental impact. If it was me I’d power down at night or when not in use for extended periods, I suspect it’ll all sound fine after 30 mins or so, the only issue that concerns me is faults that appear with regular power cycles, a while back I took to powering down my SN3 at night, it’s now with Naim being repaired as the right channel went belly up - a relay presumably so powering down Naim kit has its risks too.

6 Likes

Thank you Hollow you have hit the proverbial nail… To follow that Yes it is a very good point that constantly off and on will subject the life of some components and the inevitable trips back to Salisbury. Richard perhaps you would like to comment?