Naim Muso 1st gen in nursing home

John stated he had Qobuz Studio which is hi-res not cd quality.
You could use BubbleUPnP (on an Android device) to steam Qobuz to the MuSo.
This avoids Airplay.
But are there restrictions on the resolution the MuSo gen 1 will play anyway?

No idea, we use the Naim app to control it.

Fine thanks for that:). It is difficult to get a definitive answer on how near the iPod touch 7 comes to cd quality via usb. Does anyone know?

When play music from my iPod 7 touch to the Muso via usb I can only use the physical buttons on the Muso remote as the Naim App will not allow me to complete set-up in my current situation. Perhaps Qubuz Studio tells me I am limited to 16 bit 44khz because that is the maximum codec of the iPod 7 touch? Thanks.

I couldn’t find a definitive answer either, but I’d be almost 100% sure that it will pass at least 16/44.1 or 16/48.

How far have you got with set up for the Muso? Have you got it to connect to the WiFi?

Thanks Andy I think you have all persuaded me to quit while I’m ahead!:).

Don’t quit! What you are currently doing might be the best solution anyway, but I don’t think we’ve exhausted all the options yet!

I think people are having trouble getting their heads round why it doesn’t just work on the home’s network. If you’ve never fallen over the problem before, it’s just not intuitive. I’ve run into similar issues before at conference centres and at work - before I retired…

I’ve been looking through the Muso manual, and there are several ways to configure it without using the app. It’s ultimate functionality will be limited though. I think there are some things you can only do using the app, but if those are not things you want to do anyway it’s not actually a problem!

If you can get Bluetooth or peer-to-peer AirPlay working, you will at least not be tethered, even if the quality is (arguably) not as good.

As I understand it, Bluetooth is compressed and won’t sound as good. I have the Qubuz app on my phone and it sends Qobuz to my gen 1 Qb quite happily, up to 48k. The gen 1 muso doesn’t really have great wifi and if running a cable is impossible, then playing as you are now may be the best that can be achieved. It would be fantastic if a wire could be run to your room with a local access point, which would enable wireless airplay.

Thanks Andy, the home’s WiFi covers 2 buildings 6 floors and at least 60 users with multiple extenders. It is quite fast and as residents we can connect as many individual items to the WiFi as we wish. If however we wish to set up a local network, so my IPod can communicate with the Muso, this we cannot do. So when you get to the end of the app set-up you get a message saying ’ Muso joining Bupa network’ then a minute later ‘an unexpected error has occurred please try again.’ This means I can get no audio from the speaker unless I use Bluetooth or my iPod physically connected to the Muso.

This means, I cannot set up the radio presets, the room or see what source setting I am on from my bed as these are only shown on the app and not on the remote! Which I think is very poor design.

The Bupa router is on a different building to me, so I cannot connect the speaker to it by cable to set up the app. Hope this explains thing better. Thanks again.

Thanks. Sadly the only way I am going to get a wired connection to my Muso is to have my own WiFi and router in my room. Otherwise, I am not getting the best from my speaker or the app. My Qobuz subscription was only 12.49p a month as I paid for 1 yr. I love the odd music selections, the UI and the fact you can by album downloads you really like. Thanks.

If you really want to try out HiRes then the other alternative is to get a DAP and a good set of headphones. Don’t buy a Sony as the top models don’t do streaming and the ones that do only allow hires via Sonys own app not apps you can add.

To get hires Qobuz on a DAP you need to get one that runs Android and one that bypasses Androids inbuilt resampling for all apps. Most of these are from the likes of Hiby, Fiio and iBasso with Astel & Kern being the top end ( not sure if they have system wide bypass though) but not sure there worth the cost when the others do a brilliant job . They come in many different models all adding better features, memory, cpu and screens. I have a Hiby R5 it’s the base Android model they do and it’s great but you may find the screen a little fiddly as it’s small. Do some research and if your going down this route the look on Headfi website as they are great for this stuff.

Other alternative that might work as it does on iPhones is to connect an external DAC to the iPod using the correct connector then it bypasses the limits of the internal hardware. Here you can choose from many different ones. You need a specific adaptor to get it too work but they are cheap I believe.

1 Like

Thanks so much great advice.

Um. Can I check my understanding? You can run the Muso configuration to the point of telling the Muso which network it should connect to; it drops the setup connection to the app and (probably) connects to the Bupa network; as we (now) expect the app then throws an error because it can no longer communicate with the Muso. Is this right? If so…

There might be a workaround to at least finish the Muso setup and save some radio presets. A bit of a faff, but might be worth a try. If you were to set up a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot using a mobile phone, you should be able to connect both iPod and Muso to it following the same procedure as you have previously for the Bupa network. You would need to make sure both the hotspot settings and device connection settings allow discovery/communication between devices. You should then be able to configure the Muso from the Naim app, including setting internet radio presets. If you now do a network reset (short push in reset pinhole) on the Muso, and repeat the network setup for the Bupa network, I think it will retain all other settings, which should give you access to radio presets on he Muso controls and, with luck, the remote.

You could probably stream Qobuz (or Tidal) too while using the mobile hotspot - but that would chew through your data allowance pretty quickly so it’s probably not a long term solution!

My reading suggests that the iPod Touch 7 will support up to 24bit/48kHz, supports FLAC as well as ALAC, and that the headphone output is actually not at all bad. That’s maybe another thing to try before buying more kit.

Poor design? Maybe. It’s just outside the design use-case. It’s difficult to see how it could be designed otherwise without significant extra complexity.

Thanks. Fine on quality control. When I get to the end of the set-up process, I get the message Muso joining Bupa wifi, then after a minute I get the message an unexpected error occurred, please try again?

Talking to my local shop, that sells Naim, they tell me you cannot set-up the Naim App on a shared network. My cheapest solution is to get broad for my own room. So l think that is the way forward. Thanks again.

If that’s actually practicable, I’d agree. I had the impression the building infrastructure would make it difficult. I hope it works out well in the end!

Thanks, I checked with BT today and they do connect broadband to this nursing home. My problem is physically connecting to the nursing home’s router in a different building on a shared network.

Thanks so much.I will let you know how I go.

1 Like

If you get your own broadband then surely it will be discreet and you will not connect to the home’s router and network. You have your own. Perhaps the best way to go.
Not sure what is meant by a “shared network” either as in a sense every network is shared even if it is just your own family/household. (at present people on the home’s network could play to your MuSo !!!).

Did you buy the MuSo from a Naim dealer if so get them to come and make it work. If you cannot presently connect then possibly your MuSo is not up to date and you have no internet radio either. Updating would be the first task.

Having a Muso 1 in our bedroom, I would say you’d be hard pressed to discern between hi-res and cd quality and/or airplay. The Muso, while having fantastic sound is really a great equalizer imo and was designed as such. My biggest peeve with the Muso(s) has been lack of a headphone output or BT out to headphones.

It’s not that difficult to understand. If every person that lived in the home decided to have a muso and tried to control it with the Naim app and if the network that was shared between all of them allowed it, then every instance of the Naim app would discover every muso and chaos would ensue!

On a shared network, this sort of network wide discovery is not permitted and so the Naim app can’t find even the muso that it’s next to.

Having his own broadband and WiFi would seem to solve everything for John.

Best

David