Naim NAC 202 + NAP 200 + Hicap DR + NAPSC : is it good combination?

Ill get 202 with serial number of 310xxx, is it not quite old?

You can check serial numbers on Naim’s website, 310 is about 2010.

More important is the serial number of the 200 power amp, as that’s what will bed recapping at 10 years old.

I wonder why you are considering not getting the Hicap DR. I owned a 202/200 once, and it only sounded natural to me once a Napsc and Hicap were added. That was before Hicap DRs were introduced. If the Hicap DR is not possible, I’d take a Supernait 2 or 3 instead of the 202/200/Napsc.

need your opinion about price in England for package of
NAC-202
NAPSC
NAP-200
HiCap DR
unit supplied with original remote control and all cables that appropriate with that set (SNAC, Powercord, etc…)

without box/manual

thank you

I suggest you look on U.K. eBay. At the moment there are two 202s, one for £600 and one for £685. A 200 is under £1,000. A Hicap DR is probably around £800 to £1,000. A 200DR will be a bit more expensive than a 200.

Another 202 is currently £420, NAPSC just over the hundred. Bids though and some days to run.
Always worth keeping an eye on Ebay - and check ‘Completed Listings’ which will give you some idea of what people are prepared to pay.

It’s relatively unusual to see Naim kit sold in this way - most owners are quite obsessive about keeping all the extras - so it’s not easy to answer your question.

Good advice to keep an eye on eBay, but have a look at Tom Tom Audio’s Preloved listings too. Then knock at least 10% off for a missing box & manual.

Mark

1 Like

Don’t forget that the OP lives in Indonesia. Personally if it’s impossible to find a service place for Naim components in Indonesia, I would look at other brands.

2 Likes

Good point, I have no idea but worth thinking a Supernait is one item only to service while 202/200/HC/…!

Maybe Rega is represented in that area ?
Their recent amps are very good as well, I replaced my Naim combo with a Aethos.
Speakers play a role in this game too.

2 Likes

there is a Naim agent in Singapore which is close-ish… But I would be hesitant without a local service tech. I never found shipping to be that reliable (in Malaysia anyway) and certainly would not recommend importing privately from AUS or the UK.

Having lived in Asia and seen how much more expensive this sort of stuff is there than in the UK then I would suggest the price isn’t too bad.

The 202/200/HCDR combo is a fantastic amplifier and gives you the option of adding a 282 or 82 later and having a killer set up… (this is basically what I did). As long as the power supply and power amp don’t need a service soon its a decent trade and I’m sure you’ll be very happy with the sound quality…

2 Likes

The items are from 2010. So they will very soon need service.

Is it worth buying kit if you can’t service it in future.

If you can’t get it serviced, the 200 and hicap in particular will plummet in value as they get closer to service time, to the point that they will be bricked.

We are facing that problem in New Zealand. Last year Naim ended a 30 year relationship with the local advocate and expert. The new local service agents are unknown (and it’s not clear if they even could service Naim boxes) and used Naim boxes have dropped in value substantially.

3 Likes

Especially separates can loose their magic when being due for a service. I’d go for an integrated - which is less sensitive for placement / setup, only one box to service and all that - or a different brand which is more local.

after further checking for NAC-202, NAP-200, HiCapDR and NAPSC all have SN 347xxx (2013) and I have audition on them , sounds absolutely amazing

1 Like

They are 9 years then. But what will you do in 3, 4 or 5 years when they will reach the need for service ?

“Need” for service - ? Someone posted recently about enjoying their unserviced Naims that were 35 years old.

1 Like

Many electronic components degrade with time. Capacitors in particular can require replacement. If you don’t do this the worst case is that the power amp output dumps DC current into your speakers and destroys the drivers. More likely is that sound quality will degrade very slowly over time, so you don’t really notice it - until you have the amp servicesd, then you realise what you have been missing.

2 Likes

Yes, so unlikely to be life threatening. I feel in general the “need” to service can be overstated on the forum to some extent - a good idea, no doubt, but if I got worried just because my old Volvo is a bit less good than its new equivalent - I wouldn’t be getting much sleep :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there any different in sound quality ?
for 2 configuration as follows

1. NAC-202 + NAPSC + NAP-200 + HICAP DR
    VS
  2. NAC-202 +NAPSC + NAP-200 DR

need explanation

thank you

Nevertheless, your amp, like your old Volvo, will not continue to work properly indefinitely if you never get it serviced.