Naim nac 282 appreciation

I’m going non Naim for a couple years (well, there are still a couple Qbs and a UQ2 with jury rigged main earth). But so far even the new smaller non Naim main system is resting in boxes while 1 bit is yet to arrive. I’ve been sans music (the Qbs etc are still in boxes somewhere) of any kind for 4 months now and starting to lose my mind.

Unless you count the neighbour who practices piano a lot and clearly isn’t getting the hang of it.

3 Likes

I am looking forward to joining the NAC282 appreciation club! I recently moved to a bigger apartment and needed some larger speakers and fell in love with the sound of ATC SCM40 actives. Housing them meant moving on my standmounts as well as my SN3, with a NAC282 and my trusty HiCap DR about to take on control duties.

My first exposure to Naim was listening to a NAC82 at a dealer nearly 30 years ago. I remember the 82/180 not really doing it for me, but once a HiCap and 250 were added, wow :star_struck:

Having been all over the naim hierarchy and particularly loving the Supernait sovereign the years, this feels like coming home.

1 Like

Can 82 owners join in…?

2001 vintage. Serviced at Class A not long ago. Brilliant…!!

4 Likes

Wow, big news there. You had my favourite system. Good active speakers are such a good option for a high-end space efficient and elegant setup.

1 Like

Yes @Mike_S, I was loving my system in my other apartment, but it just sounded rather lifeless in a much bigger space. It was really disappointing as I’d put so much time and effort into it. Luckily a visit to the dealer soon showed some good alternatives. I was keen to stick to a SN3 at first but in the end the 282 with active speakers was a far superior sounding solution.

1 Like

I changed to a 52 2 years ago, but my 82/HiCap/135s gave me thousands of hours of music listening pleasure over the 25 years I used that set, fantastically musical setup.

4 Likes

Went from XS2, SN2, 202 to my 282 and it’s gonna stay!

1 Like

I am absolutely blown away by my 282. Coming from a Supernait2, the difference is incredible. It’s so punchy. Incredible amounts of detail but by no way analytical.
Mine is a late 2019. :grinning:

7 Likes

Indeed there’s no review of the 282 in English, yet the first of the hi-end Naim preamps

There really should be a review of this product !

There’s a review of the 552 on stereophile and a 252 on what hi-fi, and even of the 202 on what hi-fi.

regardless - the performance leap over a 202 is very clear.

The 252 and 552 are better (252) and much better (552) to my ears, but I never felt the need to go any further up, I really enjoy my 282 a lot.

2 Likes

Anyone moved from 272/XPSDR to 282? Worth the hassle?

Haha. Funny question. If you posted that within 12 months of the 272 coming out most people would have said it was better than a NDX/282. The hyperbole died down over the years. Very few would make that claim now, and loads have done the 272 to 282 migration. It’s worth remembering that a 282 isn’t a preamp. Without a power supply it does nothing. For that reason a 282/200, 282/FC, 282/HC and 282/SC are all different preamps.

1 Like

The 282 is a brilliant piece of kit and is significantly better than its pre-amp sibling the 202, and I’m still using a 200DR! Might be a while before I upgrade to a 250 or even 300 - spent far to much in the last year!

1 Like

My 282 is on order should be arriving in the next few weeks, HiCapDR is in its box waiting…

The 282 will be paired with NAP300s none DR but Naim serviced last year.

3 Likes

[quote=“popeye, post:28, topic:12391, full:true”]
I am absolutely blown away by my 282. It’s so punchy. Incredible amounts of detail but by no way analytical.[/quote]

NAC 282/SuperCap DR is the ‘Concorde’ of pre amps. What a beauty and I love it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My 282 was sounding very nice with my Hi-CapDR and then I treated myself to a s/h SuperCapDR.
Wow! What a difference! The HiCap was good but the SuperCap takes the 282 to a new level.
It really is a very good pre-amp.

3 Likes

Once you’ve heard the 282 with a Supercap it’s difficult to go back to a HiCap.

2 Likes

This is all making me frustrated!
I just don’t have the time to

1. Swap the SC2 (on 282) for the SCDR (on Superline) and compare

2. Hook up the 2 HCDRs that have been waiting in the wings for their shootout with one of the Supercaps

Dammit. I need some proper me-time! But… it’s a nice problem to have: the 282/SC2 combo as-is sounds really :ok_hand:to these old ears.

I am new to the 282 having recently upgraded from Audirvana/DACV1. I am experiencing considerably more grip on the speakers. So far I have around 25 hours of listening on it roughly I think, I’m told it will get even better down the line a bit.

I was wondering how has the 282 evolved over the years? If it all?

Not much evolution I understand – the 282 was that great from the very beginning of its product life in 2002! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck:

2 Likes

the only change is the purchase price… :wink: