Naim NAC 282 vs NAC272

I’d suggest you should decide whether your are fixed on playing CDs. If you are, a 282 makes sense. However, with a 282/250 you really want a better CD player than the CD5si. A CDX2/XPS would be a much better match.

If you are happy to rip your CDs and put the music on a NAS, then the 272 is a really good option. I’d forget about the theoretical point that it is not so good because it’s all in one box. I’ve got one and it works wonderfully well, especially with the PS555DR.

Do you want five or six boxes for your source and preamp, or just two? Both options sound really good. Just decide if you want lots of boxes and to play CDs, or whether you want just two boxes. Remember also that with a 272 you get internet radio, which opens up a whole world (literally) of music.

2 Likes

I had been an owner of nac 282 for 10 years, so I think 272 will be downgrading for me. I shall wait ащк nac 372 …)

I’m sorry HH this is considerably more than a theoretical point. Simply if we substituted a NDX2 into your system with a 282/HCDR instead of the 272 there can be no doubt that there would be greater insight into the music. Whether you or anyone else would consider the cost increase and extra box count worthwhile is of course a matter of personal judgement.

Regards,

Lindsay

4 Likes

Well yes, you’d hope that the extra £8,000 would get you something. But that’s not the point I was making. All this stuff about multiple boxes and separation being in ‘Naim’s DNA’ is nonsense to me. It’s often through mutation that evolution is achieved.

So why have spent so much on a separate power supply and on a two box power amp which separates the circuitry.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but if it was nonsense to you you wouldn’t have invested in a 555PSU for your 272 or upgraded to a 2 box NAP 300, or sought a Nat 05 when there is a perfectly good tuner embedded in the 272. In fact it would be interesting to hear how a NDX2/555/282/HC/250 configuration stood against your 272/555/300? As ever though horses for courses and personal judgement applies.

4 Likes

The decoupling and separation being part of ‘Naim’s DNA’ was part of a Naim product marketing presentation that some of us saw from Naim a few years back at the factory - followed by a conversation about the 272… and of course some of the DNA is applied even to the 272 by using a separate power supply.- but I accept you either buy into Naim’s approach here or not. There was a tacit acknowledgement about being pragmatic about the absolute SQ performance achievable from the combined streamer/NACs - compared to equivalent separates… but separates are not appropriate or practical for all Naim’s customers - so Naim would say I guess their focus is also about giving choice and maximising the SQ for a given set of products.

4 Likes

I only suggested the 72 as the original poster said money was short etc. Even though OP was asking about 282/272.
When Doug Graham was over here a few years ago demoing the 272, I ask him if the 272 could keep up with the separate component boxes and I specifically said the 282. He replied as plan as day “no” so as far as a big pre the 282 beats the 272 and that’s that.
Imo If money allows buy the 282 get it serviced and be done with it. Now if all this is too expensive As I said a serviced nac 72/hicap Nap 250 will blow you away. The money you will save with allow a lovely secondhand Digital source or even vinyl
With respect something to chew on HH🤗

3 Likes

There is always something better but that doesn’t mean it’s required. My setup is more than good enough for me. Anyway, Naim would always say that the 282 etc is better; to say otherwise would be commercial suicide. It’s how these things fit into your life and budget that matter.

1 Like

I totally believe you, because I do know you have had the big system.
But I’ve herd all of the above including a 272 juiced up on a xps DR not a 555 but still very good, not to mention the 272 sounds fantastic with out a ps as well. To my ears the 272 was very good hifi but it just didn’t grab me by the golden ping pongs like a 282 does. You know when you have been tangoed, the 272 did it for.

2 Likes

I wonder whether there was much talk about that “Naim DNA” at the Muso 2 launch in Munich… Anyway, I thought Naim was about a particular sound; not some sort of masturbation over technical design issues…

Why would we deny ourselves that pleasure?

G

3 Likes

Thank you all very much for the very useful advice and opinions based on personal experience.

1. About DR.
    I have no way to send the devices to the service. If I lived in England, I would surely do it.
    But!
    In Ukraine, at least two people speak about DR technology not very well.
    In their opinion, the sound becomes more detailed and seems to be more interesting, but at the same time it becomes sharp, sharp and even bright.
    Well, that’s their opinion.

2. Yes. Good old olive 72 I had. I played with olive 250. Both were with service. Well, of course, a cap.
    It played all surprisingly naturally, warmly and smoothly. But, too compact and small. And I love a wider and pompous sound.
    The appearance of 82 pre and a second cap gave a stunning result. But the music did not catch me. I did not catch it!
    I sold all the olives and made a strange choice in favor of 152/155 / flatcap.
    And I liked it a lot more))
    Than 82/250 and supernight 2.
    But (but again) 155 did not control my tight speakers.
    I sold and 152/155))
    Casually turned up 250 and rushed! )))

In short, I will try 282) let’s see what happens. I expect the demolition of my roof from this bunch. If this does not happen, then well, to hell with that kind of money)
I will pass to 272 and close the topic.

I hope))

some photos of my experiments)

3dfeb12826d48cac396451a890159f3fff4f5a89

9 Likes

My point of view : Naim is not the best to go if you want a bigger, wider, 3 dimensional sound stage. That’s not the first thing to come in mind when speaking about Naim . For me it’s the Famous prat which is another point of view of the music. I don’t say Naim don’t do it but some brands do it better (but fall with the respect of timing).

For me, this famous 3 dimensional sound with instrument bigger than reality isn’t the true way for high fidelity.

1 Like

I agree!
It was with density, rhythm, and brutality that Naim caught me.
It’s clear that the holographic scene is not Naim’s trump card.
But))
Naim is different.
And for example, at 72/250 the scene is absolutely indecently scribbling.
Whereas the same 152/155 have complete order with this.
Anyway. Based on my experience, the black series have much better spatial characteristics than olives. But at the same time a little pale tone.

1 Like

Once again, I apologize for my English))
God knows what Google translator translates there))
Perhaps you are reading absurd nonsense.
After all, we are talking about subtle matters. Here, embarrassing interpretations of Google translator are possible.
I am writing in Russian))
You need to learn English)

3 Likes

Well Naim explained products like the Muso and Qb series products have been truly successful at enticing new customers into Naim, and according to their marketing research have been successful at being a gateway product for encouraging new customers into Naim separates/classic series products to appreciate their DNA as a consequence of succession or curiosity from their entry level smart speaker products…
Pretty smart move in my books…

3 Likes

Yep i fell for it…and happy i did, my daughter has my Muso.

1 Like

I wonder if the Naim for Bentley has done as well as the Muso in bringing new customers to Naim? If you can afford a new Bentley then I guess that particular customer base is more likely to go straight to Classic or is 500 series level kit.

There’s no need to apologise - any slight mistranslations add a bit of amusement for us anyway :blush:

1 Like