Naim NAC N272, How to turn off?

Hi there,
I am new here and new to NAIM as well.
I am sorry to ask if this seem to be a noob question … also I have no idea where to post the topic as the support section do not show up to write Topic.
I just want to know how do we turn off the device, there is no power on/off button on the remote nor on the app, I am just turning off the device using the power switch on back panel or the mains, am I doing this right or is there a different way ?
Cheers & Thanks
Aditya

You are supposed to leave it on all the time because that gives you the best sound quality. There is no power off switch on either the remote or the app, as you discovered.

If you want to turn it off for some reason then either the back panel switch or the switch on the mains socket, if there is a switch there, is equally fine.

Best

David

1 Like

To add to what David has said, you presumably have a Naim power amp? In which case, when you do need to turn the 272 off for say a period when you are away, them make sure you turn the power amp off first. Wait a few moments and then turn the 272 off. Reverse for switch on. Otherwise leave everything powered up for instant music!

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:
Got it now, I had the same feeling but wanted to check anyway.
Cheers
Aditya

I got Audiolab Monoblocks, I am turning off monoblocks in the same pattern what you said. I bought 272 last month, I read somewhere about 272 must be turned on all the time, so I did the same and didnt turn off till now, but because of the heavy rains, there is interruption in the power supply, am just scared to take the risk of turning on the equipment in this situation. Thanks for the info again :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Aditya

1 Like

It won’t hurt your 272 to be turned off whoever you like. The improved sound quality comes from it being all warmed up and ready to play. Naim advise you to turn off and ideally disconnect your equipment if there is an electrical storm forecast (thunder and lightning). But unexpected power outages shouldn’t in themselves cause you any problems.

Best

David

1 Like

I agree with the consensus on the appropriate switching on and off sequence, however, I did try the on off sequence the wrong way around, i.e. power amp on > wait > then SU on (I use the SU as a streaming pre) to see how bad the switch on ‘thump’ would be. Mine is silent, I have tried this a few times also switching off the SU first, still no thump. My kit seems to be very well behaved and not at all sensitive to sequence.

My kit is turned on and off every time I use it. Following old RAF practice, I believe it is good to ‘exercise’ contacts and switches from time to time.

1 Like

I tried mine and it gives a lil thump when I turn off the system the other way. So, being new to the stereo world dont want to take chances experimenting :smiley: hehehe
Thanks for reply :slight_smile:
Cheers

I can see how different kit combinations might behave differently to mine.

Leave it on. Mute when you need to “turn it off.” I only power the whole thing down when I’m away.

2 Likes

Hi Welcome to the forum,

Nothing to add to the above posts, except I keep my pre amp powered up with volume down and switch the power amp on and off as needed, then if I need to power down I switch off at the back, power amp first -

My O/H insists on this as it is supposed to save electricity, but Naim amps have a low quiescent current so should not draw too much mains juice when not in use.

2 Likes

If you are worried about thunderstorms, turning equipment off is not enough to fully protect it. You need to additionally disconnect it from the mains. A lightning strike that causes damage via surges into the mains won’t care if your equipment is powered on or not.

1 Like

Yes, thats exactly what I am doing, that is the very reason why I asked here, when I said I am turning off at mains I am unplugging the cable from the wall socket… I mean my power conditioner cable

2 Likes

I’d also suggest that you set the display to turn off after a short period. You can do this in “Settings”.
This will prevent the screen from burning out too soon.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, will sure do that :slight_smile:
Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.