Naim Nait 2 ? phono stage

Fully upgraded Rega 3 directly into Nait 2 1993 serviced. Is there any benefit of an external phono stage ? MM cartridge Elys 2

For an MM likely not. Only thing is that I never really much like the Elys with Naim phono stages, but see how you go, you might feel otherwise.

1 Like

Rega doesn’t seem to specify a preferred loading for the cart, but as their phono stages have a 100pF input capacitance that’s a good indication. The Nait 2 has 470pF, so likely you will experience early roll off for high frequencies.

I would probably look for an external phono stage with a Rega cart. Or at least compare.

Not really had a chance to compare Rega cartridges. Went from original RB 100. Is there a recommended MM from Rega with Naim phono stages

Any recommended external phono stages ?

I preferred the predecessor to the RB100, the old R100 cartridge made by Supex. It’s a lovely cartridge an a great match with Naim MM phono stages, boards etc… Indeed, the Supex SM-100E on which its based is also one of my favourite MMs, along with the Grace F8 and a few others. Of course, it’s old now and quality replacement styli are not easy (or cheap) to source.

1 Like

It all depends on your budget of course, but the MoFi StudioPhono (developed by Tim de Paravicini) or something by Lehmann Audio would be a recommendation.

If you want to keep cost to a minimum, try the Cambridge Audio Solo.

Maybe I should not have upgraded :grin:

I wasn’t a fan of the RB100 although it was quite a cool design.

Just a heads up on the Graham Slee phono stages, lots of choice/budget options and all but one of their stages are MM (only)

Another thought might be going to a high output moving coil cartridge, as I think they’re less affected by the input capacitance of the NAIT’s stage, I think that’s right @n-lot ?

1 Like

I think high output MC are equally affected as MM, but I’m not that familiar with those, so happy to be corrected.

Low output MCs should be relatively agnostic AFAIK.

Incorrect, I believe.

Any MC (low or high output) cartridge is far less affected by Capacitive loading, than a similar MM is. Its all down to the inherent Inductance of the 2 designs. An MM cart has a resonance in the high audio frequency range, which varies with frequency depending on the Capacitance it ‘sees’.

An MC also has a similar resonance - but its at a significantly higher frequency (because of an MC’s much lower Inductance) - above 20kHz - so the effect of Capacitance doesn’t really affect an MC cartridges sound.

A Google search on ‘phono cartridge capacitance matching’ will turn up a number of versions of this explanation, from several well known individuals.

YMMV… as always… :crazy_face:

PS. AFAIK, most Naim MM inputs are relatively high Capacitance - 470pF - with 47kOhm load.

2 Likes

Thanks for that.

Interestingly I think the NAIT 50 and NVC TT have 100pF MM inputs, the NSC222 stays with 470pF

3 Likes

Thats rather… odd… 470pF is now rather high - 100pF is more usual.

NSC222 spec -

Audio Input
1 x moving magnet phono
MM phono: 47k/470pF, 5mV, 23dB overload (75mV max)

NVC TT spec -

MM: 47kΩ and 100pF

Seems weird… to me. Maybe @110dB can explain… :thinking:

2 Likes

The choice is usually down to listening and what is felt to sound best. That’s how decisions like this are normally made at Naim.

As Richard says, end result of tuning in the listening room

…we lean more on 100pF (nait 50 is like this too), some sound better at 470pF.

For an adaptable phono stage with great sound and great VFM, I’ll keep banging on about the Dynavector P75 mk4, it’s a little cracker. I struggle to think of a cartridge whose requirements it can’t match. Mind you, it might be overkill if you plan to stay with the Elys long term.

2 Likes

I think I would be looking at a turntable upgrade before spending that much on a phono stage. The safe bet is probably a Rega Fono.

2 Likes

But in this case that reasoning doesn’t make much sense as it’s very cartridge dependent. Lower is good as one can always add more capacitance. Higher is strange as one cannot take away and few (if any) modern MMs, at least by the major manufacturers, work well with high capacitance.

If indeed based on listening tests (let’s hope by someone young enough to hear the frequencies affected), it’d be interesting to know which cart(s) it was.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.