I hope everyone is doing fine despite the hard times.
I am new to the Naim world and to this forum. I recently acquired a Naim Nait 5si (second hand refurbished by Naim Audio – amp is 2ish years old) and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised about the build quality and the sound (full, detailed, good dynamics etc.). It’s just been a day since I got it and I have played all in all one cd. I am using a Marantz CD6003 player with Tannoy xt8f. Personally I find this combination working really well.
Since I am new to Naim products I got a few things to ask the wider audience. In order of discovering them here are my observations:
- The power socket on the back of the amp is a bit lose; it wiggles when one moves the power lead. (The rest of the input/outputs are feeling solid.)
- There is a pop/thump from the speakers when the amp is turned on.
- There is audible hum from the transformer. One can hear it across the room and it didn’t change over the course of the day which makes me think that it is a mechanical hum.
o The hum is the same with/without connected input/speakers.
o The hum doesn’t change with increase/decrease the volume.
- There is a buzz coming from the speakers if the volume is increased around 11-12 o’clock. Of course nothing is playing, just idling.
- There is a pop/thump when the amp is turned off.
I have had other amplifiers and hum/buzz/pops weren’t such an issue. I tried searching online including in the Naim forum and yes I found some topics where some of these things are discussed but there were no clear solutions. So I decided to submit a new thread about all the points above.
I would really appreciate some comments from fellow members who have more experience.
Thanks a lot and stay safe!