Naim NAP 200 DR and NAC 202

Sadly, still leaves the OP with a NAP dilemma, as his is in need of a replacement or Recap/Service… :man_shrugging:t4:

It’s the Napsc you should do first. If you look at the back of the 202 you’ll see that the Napsc socket is labelled Upgrade 1. This is done for a purpose. You can pick them up - get a Napsc 2 - for about £200. It makes the 202 sound a lot more natural and I wouldn’t use a 202 without one.

Alternatively, forget the 200 and all the power supply hassle. Sell the 202 and the 155 and get a Supernait 3. All in one box and sounds great. You even get a phono stage.

4 Likes

…and then ADD a HiCap to the SN3 when you can :joy:

2 Likes

I’d skip all that and upgrade to a SN3.

2 Likes

I never found one necessary, but wouldn’t want a 202 without one. Anyway, it’s an option for the OP to consider.

1 Like

Service, fair enough, but doesn’t have to be TODAY … I’d sort out the pre for a huge performance uplift, then get a NAP service or upgrade when affordable.

1 Like

The SN3 suggestion is not without merit in this circumstance to be fair.
I’d certainly give it serious consideration and there are some Preloved examples out there to be had.
Perhaps @jimafblack should go give one a listen at his Dealer :thinking:
Hard to say how that would look for certain, without more detail on the rest of the system.

1 Like

Maybe there are many SN3 for sale because people understand the merits of Pre and Power amps separated …

1 Like

Oddly enough the SN3 was going to be my original plan, but then I sort of accidentally bought the 202 on an eBay auction back in late 2021. I think I did ok as it was only a few months old and I recall I paid just over £1000.

The inclusive phono stage and no immediate need to upgrade the PSU is attractive.

Have a good think about it before getting in to all the mains leads, interconnects and potential upgrades. Different strokes for different folks, but it’s an attractive option.

202 is a great bit of music making kit - I had one for over 10 years. Just enjoy it and be aware of this forum telling you otherwise!!!

3 Likes

One more thought to add into the mix…

In a NAP 200 DR, the DR is used only for the pre-amp, so another option is to buy an older (serviced) NAP 200 and a Hi-Cap DR. Then you get the (much) better Hi-Cap powering the preamp and you don’t need to shell out for the more expensive NAP 200 DR.

NAP 200 + Hi-Cap DR would be better than NAP 200 DR (quite a lot better).

I used a 2003 NAP 200 until recently, serviced in 2020 or thereabouts so it was like new, but considerably cheaper than a new NAP 200 DR.

Good luck negotiating the options! For my money, I’d rank them:

1 NAP 200 + Hi-Cap DR (plus NAPSC if you can)

• best sound
  • nice upgrade path from NAC 202 to NAC 282

2 Supernait 3

• one box convenience

3 NAP 200 DR + NAPSC

Cheers, Ian

4 Likes

Sell it all and get an 82 which comes with Napsc. Get an Olive Hicap to match the 82 and CB or Olive 250. Will sound much better than 202 HiCap 200 system and cost about the same or less.

Becomes equivalent of 282 HiCap 250.

That’s what I did anyway and it sounded superb.

Upgraded since but an 82 Hicap 250 system will be awesome.

Upto you or go for 202 200 set up. Get the Napsc first, then HiCap DR. Will sound good too.

Folk on here will recommend what they have or have had as that’s their experience.

3 Likes

@jimafblack No mention of source(s) or speakers yet.

1 Like

A nap 200 dr isn’t just better than the older nap 200 because of the dr supply to the preamp. I recall there are other minor improvements also

Maybe @110dB can explain why ?

I use a 202/200dr and absolutely love mine … ( I also own a 282/HCDR/250 dr in another room)

1 Like

The SN3 will be way less hassle with a nice jump in SQ.

1 Like

That’s so true. I was thinking 282, 200 (non-DR) + psu’s of some sort, but yes, mostly because that’s what I am enjoying. Funny old game this.

1 Like

Indeed. We’ll have someone suggesting a 552 will be the way to go next and then find out the OP is running a CD5Si as a source :grinning:

3 Likes

I would still go an 82 regardless. Awesome pre for the money.

1 Like

I agree the Nac 82 is superb.
I have had the Nac 202 and in my opinion it’s not a keeper, even with a Napsc and Supercap it’s still one of the most boring preamp Naim has built.

1 Like