Naim NAP 200 DR and NAC 202

If you haven’t had a Nac 82 ,I think it’s hard to speculate how it sounds, the newest isn’t always the best, in my opinion.

2 Likes

@jimafblack hi,

This really depends on what your longer term aspiration is? If it’s a pre-power combination and your speakers are not too demanding I’d forget the 200 at this stage and trade the 202 for 282, lots of 2nd hand examples out there. The 282 pairs surprisingly well with the 155. On the other hand if you think your speakers need some more clout then go for the 200.

Good luck.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Separates from Naim could be a veritable bargain these days with new products upcoming.

A 202/200/HC is splendid though I wouldn’t run a 202 without Napsc, as others have pointed out.

Total this combo might be cheaper than a new SN3 or even a XS3.

No need to look for 200DR but 200, if later adding a Hicap in setup.

I paid less than €2000 for my s/h 202/200 and I already had a Hicap, and Napsc from earlier use.

4 Likes

Exactly. My nDAC is worth more now than when I bought it second hand. Go figure!

3 Likes

It depends on which item it is a Naim nDac is a fantastic product.
Preamps like Nac 112,102,202 not so good for being Naim Preamps ,in my opinion.

2 Likes

I have an NDX/202/200 combo. Sounds great. Sure I can and will go further, (seriously considering a new 252), but the full set up I have works. Have lived with this for a couple of years. The previous pre/streamer was a 172. The NDX/202 was a huge upgrade. The 200 has been in my system for a decade.
So my advice to the OP is grab a decent 200, enjoy it for a short, medium or long while . When, or if, the bug hits, and they need to scratch the itch, there will be plenty of paths available.

6 Likes

yes indeed I use a Chord 2Qute (basically a Hugo 1) with a 202/200DR and I am very happy with the performance…

1 Like

For what’s it’s worth, I had a 202 / 200 combo and liked it. I added a classic range but old hicap for £400 and it was a big improvement. It really opened up the soundstage (much harder to place the speakers when eyes closed). Sure you could get a new £1800 hicap, or second hand DR for £1000, but my £400 option also have big improvements!

3 Likes

Had 202/200 with Napsc & HiCap for about 15 years.
Will not use without Napsc & HiCap.

4 Likes

202 was a massive step up from 112x, 200 not equally Big step from 150x, wouldnt think its night and day over 155xs either.

202 is a really competent pre with great enjoyment, massive tweaking made possible with PSUs and cabling

1 Like

Impressive variety of advice here :joy:

I had 102/180 originally and I remember during the dem I told the dealer I didn’t want to add the napsc (have to draw the line somewhere). He said nothing but plugged it in and played a difficult track with it in and then out. Made such a difference I decided to have it

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.