Naim Nap to partner naim dac-v1

Hello everyone and anyone,

Current set up Nait 5 with Olive Flat Cap, conversion with naim dac-v1 and the speakers are Neat Acosutics Motive SE2.
I would like a more powerful amp to drive the Speakers, so currently 30W wouöld like to move to 50w or higher.
Ovbious choice would be to dump the Nait and get the NAP 100, but my question is, should i just go for a used Nap 200 instead, would the 70W really drive the Neats any better when they are already quite sensitive.

Thanks in advance.

My old system was built with advice from this forum and i have had that system for 5 years, Nait 5 + Flat Cap + Chord Electronics 2Cute and Neat Motives SE2’s.

Get the 200 if you can. It’s not the power. The 200 is just a far better amp irrespective of the power difference.

2 Likes

My hi-fi equipment is quite similar to yours by category. I experimented with a more powerful roksan power amp than my nait 5i and indeed more control is noticeable. I believe you will get even more with the nap 200. Of course trying would be the best thing to do.

1 Like

The original Nait 5 is a great amp. Listen carefully to any potential replacements before you decide to part with it.

Having said that, the V1/100 is a great simple setup and will give you a nice increase in power. The 200 will give you more, of course. Just be sure, as with any older Naim kit, to check its service history and budget for a service history in older items if required.

2 Likes

You could always try a nap 140 instead of the more recent nap 100.

1 Like

The Nap 100 is splendid, some time I use two - one for left ch, one for right ch.
Not a fan of Nap 200 even I have one lying around.

1 Like

I agree,I used 4x Nap 100 active with Snaxo and Linn Kan for some time.

2 Likes

Our NAP140 works brilliantly with the DAC-V1. It has much more control over the speaker than the Nait5 of its day.

2 Likes

I first ran a 110 with my V1 and now have a 160 bolt down. It sings nicely. I actually asked my dealer at one time about the 110 vs the 100 - he said don’t bother.

2 Likes

Hi,

My speakers are Neat Motive sx2 so not far from yours and I used to run them with a Unitilite. Always had the feeling that the music was somewhat stuck in the speakers if not played loud enough and then it became a bit shouty and out of order, so there was just a small sweet spot of sound level where it was satisfying.

I have added a couple years ago a Nap200 from the pre out of my Unitilite and I am happy with it, there is more clarity, more satisfying at low level, more composed at higher level. And more engaging overall. Nap200 can be found for little money and for me it was worthwhile.

Obviously I’m eyeing a Nac272 next but it’s very enjoyable as is.

So I reckon Nap200+motivesx2 is a good pairing in my limited experience. Obviously this is to my hears, in my room and ymmv.

1 Like

the Se2’s also have that issue with a specific sweet spot, but thankfully it is not too narrow. i just think the 30 watts from the Nait 5 isnt enough to drive them fully.
I think i will aim for a good used Nap 200 as it is not too expensive that my wife would complain. Ps. love the Neat Speakers, not fussy with placement and after i treated my room with huge bass traps and most walls covered with acoustic curtains and panels. the sound was improved 100%. So the biggest upgrade has for sure been the room treatment, now i want the final piece which is a increased lower volume drive for the speakers.

Better at low level was very much one of main reasons to get my Nap200 and it’s definitely improved things.

In the realm of 5 digits €$ systems on this forum the 3 digits of a used Nap200 make it a reasonable upgrade :rofl:

1 Like

I got the NAP200, it was a larger than expected improvement and i got to sell my Nait 5 to a friend for mates rates, he was extremely happy. Thanks for the help everyone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.