Naim nap140

Do you know what year the original thick grey SNAIC was released?

Were there many interconnect versions prior to the SNAIC or just the thin grey one?

I think it was around ‘85. I have a copy of the HFA mag somewhere in which its introduction was mentioned - I’ll try to dig it out.

2 Likes

Tried both cables on the 42.5/110. Difficult to decide but favouring the thin interconnect. The SNAIC has more slam and bass control, which is why I need it with the Sara system, but the original cable seems more coherent - agree with @RichardPW that it’s more cohesive.

What about the black SNAIC?

Don’t have one - might give one a go though

OK, found it; Peter Turner writing in Hifi Answers October 1984 about the new HICAP and SNAIC.

“The new interconnect is called the SNAIC… …never mind the name, does it work? Yes, it does. I didn’t try it with the SNAPS, though I should expect benefit; but with the HICAP (to which I had a good listen before introducing the SNAIC) it adds its own degree of tightness to the sound: an extra degree of control with freedom - just, indeed, as though some dam or filter had been removed.”

He goes on describing the benefits of the HICAP and SNAIC combination, but the piece quoted above applies to the SNAIC in isolation.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard!

The problem here in India is the authorised centre are interested only in selling their products and service or warranty is atrocious. They dont have spare, neither do they import spares for us.
Secondly, I done the new wiring in my flat with separate circuit from the mains for my hifi system.
But the wall socket available in India 5 amps and 15 amps only (Anchor India) do not match with the plugs of NAP140 power amp.
In India, all the sockets available 3 round pins whereas on the Naim power cord has two flat and round pin. All I can do is to use adapter of 3 pin round to 3 pin international adapter.
Is it possible that I can replace naim power cord with my desktop pc power cord? Will it damage the amplifier? anyone please guide me.
Last resort is cut the mains plug of Naim power cord and replace with Anchor 5amp plug.
Please reply soon.

Before the Powerline Lite, Naim power leads were fitted with either MK or Crabtree plugs. These are easily removed. You can then fit an appropriate 15A round pin plug for use in India.

I would stay well away from computer power cords. In my experience, they have a far more negative impact on the music than an adaptor, but hopefully you can just swap the plug as Richard recommends.

As long as this is a 3 core cable with an earth, and it has a suitable plug to connect at both ends, it will be perfectly safe to use it.
I would follow Richard’s advice and replace the plug on the supplied lead instead but either option will work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.