Naim Nap300DR with other Pre

excellent preamp, but I will also do this test with a balanced tube preamp but I didn’t understand the 300dr is not a true balanced one how did you connect it? even though the 252 :+1:

Note the connections in the sockets, the plug’s the same as used for balanced but here it’s not used that way.

You can have the cables provided with the 300 reterminated to connect to the preamp, or have a pair of leads made up using the same pin arrangements as illustrated on the back of the amp. Not ideal to mix balanced with unbalanced, but it will work.

As other replied, the 300 dr is not balanced. I needed a special cable, RCA to Din / XLR. Chord made me one.
The other point is that your speakers are high sensitive. They normally are matched with tube amps. With the 300 dr, into these Tannoy, you are quickly high on volume with the pre, because of that.

I don’t really see the 9 o’clock ‘issue’ either.
The volume rarely goes past 9. Occasionally in ‘blast your socks off’ mode it’ll get to 10 - 10:15. On my 282 the remote works excellent to fine-tune the volume in very small steps.

1 Like

At 9 it’s fine and quite typical, but the OP cannot use it at 9 because his speakers have 95 dB sensitivity. Instead …

This leaves a very small adjustment range indeed, and there is a good chance that the pot may be in the “low-volume unbalance” range.

One could argue that it’s not Naim using an unsuitable pot or too much gain (as has been said above) but that the problem is using unsuitable speakers, though nevertheless it can be a bit of a problem.

2 Likes

thanks for all your valuable advice, tube amps i used them but the new canterburys want a lot of current for me it was solid i like a lot more. having said that I have a cable made especially for the 300 to use other preamps. Please advise me what technical specifications should it be? thanks for your help :pray:

I understand this feeling of a small sweet spot. I’ve had it no matter speaker in Naim until I got the 272 which feels more controlled in volume.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.