Naim ND5 XS 2 Network Player Comparison CDX2 Gen 1

Rhythmic, propulsive, great bass. Boogie factor is second to none. Upgradeable with XPS. Current used prices for a CDX2 and XPS DR will give you unbeatable CD replay for the money. Admittedly, maybe not the best choice for lyrical classical replay.

1 Like

The CD players will eventually fail and be unrepairable (most already are). Rip your CD collection while you can and get the NDX2

1 Like

It’s surprising that a second hand NDX (with a new screen or without and a suitably low price) hasn’t been mentioned. An NDX/XPSdr is a formidable source if you mostly steam locally.

It has a very different presentation to a CDX2 so isn’t to everyone’s liking but in my opinion is as good albeit different. If the CDX2 is at the aggressive end of the scale, the old NDX is at the chilled out end, which may be why it doesn’t get the love it deserves. But it can probably be found for a comparative price to the CDX2 repair.

2 Likes

He doesn’t at present as he would need the kit necessary to rip and store his discs - however - he could still follow your suggestion of NDX1 plus his XPS2 to stream from Tidal / Spotify / Internet radio. Even from Qobuz with the workarounds discussed on this Forum. Bargains available as you say.

1 Like

I know and I’ve never experienced any issues streaming from the net on my NDX but as soon as anyone mentioned the original NDX, 101 people instantly post “It’s streaming is flakey.” So I decided not to invite that.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Hi Guys thanks for the continued response on this subject.

Problem is going with an NDX1 is it will already be at least 5 years old and possibly even 10 years not sure of launch date. So already getting back into the realms of my CDX2 age constraints when a repair is required. Not sure how good reliability is. I have heard of numerous screen failures on Naim Streamers.

If i go this route then a youthful NDX2 would probably be my option. Especially when comparisons between NDX1 & 2 reviews state that the NDX2 is in a totally different class to the NDX1.

I am sure some may disagree with this.

Thanks

Trevor

1 Like

Definitely a better option if the funds are available. A basic CD /DVD transport via SPDIF would give the option of spinning your discs if streaming isn’t to your taste.

There are many threads worth a read on this, but fwiw…

I rate my CDS2 2-box player the best CD player I have heard that costs less than a flash car. NDX2 plus XPSDR matches it on rips and good streams from Tidal/ Qobuz . It also has no moving parts, so won’t wear out like a CD transport does.

Imho ND5XS2 is great vfm but clearly a bit less good than the NDX2, even without the XPS. However, a s/h nDAC on the ND5XS2 matches the NDX2 to most ears.

Adding a CD transport from (say) Audiolab and plugging that into the streamer gives immediate unripped CD replay if your old CD player dies or you fear that it will.

EBay offers bargains on all these boxes.

1 Like

Hi Guys

Had a call from Audio T today to say Naim can’t repair the cdx2 as cant get the parts. Very disappointing customer service from a Company such as Naim who boast about their ability to maintain older equipment.

I will now need to ponder my next move. Probably start with Streamers much lower than the cost of a NDX2 or even ND5XS2 in the hope i stumble on a sound I really like. Might also try a couple of cd players.

Makes me feel like selling the lot and just using my little system of Rega 1+ Onxyo all in one unit and Dali entry level speakers. Gives me a lot of pleasure this little system but not powerful enough for the main listening room.

Could be an interesting few months.

You really should hear the NDX2 and the ND5XS2. To my ears, there’s very little difference between them, and certainly not enough to justify the extra cost. But, as I say, that’s to my ears.

1 Like

I had an ND5 XS 2 here for a year before ‘upgrading’ to the superior NDX 2. If it was hardly better i would’ve sent it back and not have bothered doing the upgrade. With the XPS DR added on it leaves the ND5 XS 2 eating dirt in every single area.

2 Likes

Thats… very disappointing. Perhaps @NeilS can give us an insight into this…?

You would like to think the NDX2+XPSDR would be significantly better than a ND5XS2 given its approximately 4X the price :wink:

3 Likes

Simply not my experience, Stephen. However, it’s been a while. I’m seeing my dealer on Friday and, in the interests of fairness, will try the comparison again.

But as I and @silverback have said, the cost differential has to be a factor.

1 Like

Mac Mini into Ndac, around 1,2 k for both.

Don’t be sad buy a Naim nDac and ripp your CD’s to USB sticks ,it will easily outperform the CD player musically.

@Cayman295 Do you have a serial or RMA number for the CDX2?

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

I agree in that a ND5 XS 2 represents good value for money in comparison to a NDX 2 but that same thing can be said with most things HiFi in a range of products. I’ve lived with both products and i know which one i’d choose every time if money wasn’t a constraint.

3 Likes

Hi Neil

Serial No is 218081 which makes it a 2005 I believe. Its the version without a DAC output

Naim service have not looked at the player. The diagnosed is based on provided information.

Which is that there is no output via one channel via din or phono outputs. Previously crackled and distorted sound occurred.

The plan was to get the player repaired and serviced.

What are you thinking Neil

Trevor

1 Like