Naim ND5 XS getting hot

Interesting that some people have a cool running unit and others get quite warm. My main thought was that it was running much warmer than the amp which surprised me

Iā€™m not convinced that is the case, cool, warm & hot are not temperatures, they are just descriptions, perceptions, compared to ā€¦ ā€¦ Donā€™t you have a thermometer in the house ??

Not really. Bear in mind that is a localised temp on the outsite of the case in one very specific spot. On top of that I have a much higher ambient room temp.

And as mentioned, when measured, mine is actually 45c.

Itā€™s a bit surprising to touch but Iā€™ve had non Naim stuff you actually couldnā€™t touch for fear of burns. (50c 'arbitrary limit I set myself) shouldnā€™t do any damage to the unit or me.

The internal sensor is located somewhere else I suspect. That generally gives 36c which is close to the temp of the rest of the case.

Iā€™ve had UQ2, Uniti 1, ND5XS & 172XS and all where warm to the touch warmer than any Naim power amp Iā€™ve owned. I think Naim streamers have a safety feature that will cause them to cut out if they get too hot my Uniti did.

Thatā€™s very different to my experience, but then I guess thereā€™s a big difference in ambient temperature between Japan an North Wales!

As HH says above, the streaming boards can run really quite warm - lots of processing, just like a computer. The case work is designed to act as a heatsink for this. However, provided you have adequate ventilation all around the unit (especially above), it should not get so hot that itā€™s really uncomfortable, i.e., burning, to touch. If thatā€™s the case then get it checked by your dealer.

Iā€™m intrigued about this internal temp sensor, tell me more, where can I find it (how to read it) on my NDX

A really good comparison ā€“ my Dell All-In-One computer actually gets quite a bit warmer than any Naim box I have encountered, including my previous ND5XS.

Also bear in mind that unlike most computers the Naim has no fan onboard (on purpose to keep any physical and electrical noise at a minimum) so all cooling is passive via the heatsinking casework.

Thanks Richard for the explanation
The streamer is not getting so hot that it is uncomfortable to touch just hotter than expected
I thought the streamer would be barely warm like the CD player and that the Nait would be hottest when playing music
It never occurred to me that the processor was in fact a computer so would get hotter the more it worked
I feel happier now

Itā€™s a while since I used an NDX but if itā€™s like the UQ2 I still use then go into Factory Settings and then System Status and scroll down - a lot - until you get to Temperature. Iā€™ve just switched on my Uniti Qute 2 (there was a long power cut here yesterday evening so had switched off just in case) and the temperature is currently reading 15 degrees C.

Just looked at the NDX manual and I see thereā€™s no mention of it under Factory settings, so maybe different. I thought was similar to the UQ2 so apologies if it doesnā€™t have that feature.

Yes, I think the Unitis have this, not the separate streamers.

1 Like

OK thanks Chris. I didnā€™t have one at hand to check. So itā€™s back to the old fashioned thermometer thenā€¦

IIRC the Unitis go into some sort of standby mode when the internal temp. reaches 70 degrees. Similar to the separate power amps, which shut down completely at that temp.

1 Like

Thanks Richard - but not with NDX sorry to say, its not included in the System Status menu. (Iā€™ll admit to mischievous intent when I asked the question)

However if it helps interested forum readers; this morning, using my Fluke IR (IR light beam) temperature reader, after an overnight on & idle period & the internet connection timed out, the top of the front centre panel is warmest & reads 32.7ā€™C with a room ambient of 20ā€™C

1 Like

Sorry @Mike-B. Could have sworn both my boxes UQ2 and NDX) had this. Last time I looked it was around 37c and I could have sworn I was looking at the NDX at the time. But if itā€™s not in the manual, then possibly not. Iā€™ll check tonight to be sure.

Itā€™s not just you!! I was convinced my 272 had it too. Iā€™m wondering if it was removed in one of the firmware updates as Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve looked at it before.

Anyway, the message to the OP is that there is no need to worry.

I noticed with my Nova when playing for long periods that sometimes it got quite warm and then youā€™d check it an hour later and it would be cool only to get warm again a while later, ditto with NDX2 & SN3.

I have had various different combinations of Naim equipment for almost 40 years and always kept it turned on. At the weekend I had a new NAC 282 installed by a highly reputable dealer who told me that thereā€™s no reason to leave it on and that I should turn off the power amps (135s) and the HiCap when Iā€™m not using them. Even Naimā€™s advice on this is somewhat ambiguous in my research.

• Leave on because it will improve the sound
  • Turn off in case of a power surge and to extend life
    (To say nothing of the environmental concern of ā€˜wastingā€™ energy of course)
    Would appreciate other users thoughts on this subject