Naim nDac USB issue

The USB input on the Naim DAC can be a bit fussy about sticks, as others have attested. Just make sure you format in FAT32 and that the entire card is formatted with no hidden partitions - many miss the hidden partitions that premium cards always seem to have for some other software or other. This also means a smaller capacity card is best - and as you can’t easily navigate the stick you’d only want a handful of tracks or maybe one or two albums at most, so a small stick is ideal.

Playing directly off a USB stick on the DAC can sound really good, particularly with hi resolution files. Do try the rear port against the front one - it may sound better. However, as I’ve mentioned above, it’s not a very practical way to use the DAC as you cannot navigate the card beyond skip forwards and backwards.

I hear you Phil.
But playing music files from the attached USB stick is highly recommended, even according to Naim.

In this mode (USB input-mode), or any other USB connection, the DAC circuitry is allowed to control the dataflow and thus operates in the so-called Master Mode.
This leads to massive improvements in jitter performance, since DAC is no longer slaved to the data source (your transport of choice).

USB stick is just a storage device. It communicates back and forth to the DAC in this case. The most important thing is the conversion instant, which in the case of nDac in USB-mode, operates in Master Mode.

Thanx Richard for the advice.

I also tried re-formatting the USB stick to FAT32. Then I copied the music files (3 tracks, all 44 kHz) to the USB, and connected it to the nDAC.
No luck! :frowning:
It just doesnot read/recognize the USB sticks I have on hand. I tried both rear and front connections.
No luck :frowning:

Now - according to all of you all advice - I think there might be something wrong with the unit.
The only thing I can do is to:

• wait till tomorrow and get some new USB sticks and try again
  • call Naim Audio and ask them what the heck is goin on.

I would take it up with the seller - was it a Naim dealer? It may mean that there’s a fault with the DAC, but yes, do try and exhaust all possibilities first.

I bought it used from a very nice guy.
He told me it’s been sittin on the bench and not been used much due to the fact that he recently became a father.
He wanted to upgrade to a ND unit.
The unit looks completely new. Not even the sockets on the back look used.

I got the receipt, the box, the plastic wraps, everything.
Who would you recommend talking to when I call Naim audio?

Thanks.

Nope, Windoze FAT32 does just fine, at least for the front port…never tried the rear.

You should take it to a Naim dealer who can then arrange for it to be inspected by Naim. How old is it? I assume it is now out of warranty (note any extended warranty is not transferrable) in which case you might wish to have an estimate beforehand. You could first peak to Naim’s service department to see if they have any ideas, but I think it may need to be checked over.

Was the USB input working OK for the first owner? Did they check it out before sale? Have they ever updated the firmware of the DAC?

Thnx Suzy for your response.

I don’t think there is any difference between the front and rear connections.
Looking at the pics of the internals of the nDac online, they appear to be connected to the same port.
The rear one is connected via a longer cable than the front one.

Yeah, I am now using FAT32. But still no luck.

One more thing, are you putting WAV files on the stick? If it’s an early unit it can only read WAVs, not FLAC.

Hi Richard.
I concur.
The unit appears to be from 2010, and I got it on the used market.

The owner assured me everything was working properly, as that was the basis for my purchasing it.
I asked him several times about the USB inputs, and he said everything works fine.

I have sent him a cpl of sms:es but no response yet.
He told me he never had the chance to update the FW.
I checked the FW and it appears to have an old one (ver 04-10-03).

As you pointed out, I need the USB input to work properly in order to update the FW.
I cannot do it since it refuses to communicate with USB sticks.

OK, as I say, the early units can only read WAV files. Have you tried a plain vanilla WAV in the root directory on a FAT32 stick.

1 Like

This is a very interesting point. You are observant.

It was among the first things I tried. I have now tried with FAT32 formatted, 5GB USB stick, containing 3 16 bit, 44 kHz files, copied straight up on the USB (no sub-directories and such).

It does not read it :frowning:

OK, it’s worth trying some different sticks - the early firmware was much pickier than later versions. Basic small capacity sticks are best. Make sure you load WAVs only.

1 Like

Allright. So far, these are the recommendations:

• get a less than 10 Gb USB stick.
  • get a cpl of chip, chinese ones, and maybe a Samsung
  • use FAT32 file format
  • use only .wav files
  • save files directly on the USB, not in sub-directories

Anything else??

1 Like

I’d probably try doing a power cycle of the DAC before trying again after a failed attempt - just in case.

Thanks Richard.
You mean just turning it off, wait, and turing it on again??

Yes, @alexiss, the "dock’ button illuminates when the nDAC plays from a USB. I’ve just checked mine to be sure.

That’ll do it.

If you get it working, next step is to update the firmware, but let’s try to get the USB working OK first…

OK, So I have just taken a brand spanking new Sandisk Ultra 16GB (a tenner from Amazon, IIRC) , put it in a USB “holder” and thence to a USB hub connected to my Windoze 10 PC. The Sandisk was already formatted, so I didn’t reformat, but simply copied a .flac from my NAS to the stick (10CC’s “I’m Mandy, Fly Me”. FWIW).

Ejected the holder and plugged it straight into the front port.

B***** H3ll, it sounds good!

(mine is also a 2010 unit, but has what I think is the latest firmware, V4.11.8.

2 Likes

Thanks MDS.
Ok, then it should be illuminated. :+1::+1:

Mine does no such thing. :frowning: