Naim NDX - Wi-fi vs Ethernet - tremendous difference

@jmtennapel Did you experience difference in SQ between WiFi and wired Ethernet connection?

@Simon-in-Suffolk Thank you for the clarifications! Basically I’m the only user of the Wi-Fi signal at home and when I stream from Tidal the only internet consumer are various apps on my phone like social networks which eat some of the traffic but I don’t know how much. I believe my wlan does not have big load for the moment. Can you give an example of such Wi-Fi access point with Ethernet uplinks - is this a configuration where there is a run of Ethernet cable from the main router to a Wi-Fi device/access point in the other room which then emits Wi-Fi signal in this room?

Yes non UK solutions include Ubiquiti wifi access points. These work well with Naim, and you can disable airtime fairness settings.

1 Like

Yes, and ideally you would have two access points wired this way that are in range of each other… this allows load balancing and steering.

1 Like

Having read some of the comments here about wifi/ethernet I thought that I’d give mine ago - I’m currently connected via a cat6a (cablemonkey). Sadly, I cannot locate my wifi aerial - I though it was in my boxes, sadly not.

Are these relatively inexpensive to get, do I just contact Naim/Dealer?

1 Like

Does the router/switch from which the Ethernet cable runs have to be also from the Ubiquiti brand or I can use any brand like TP-Link to connect it to this extender? Btw I will see if my current TP-Link router has this airtime fairness setting in the menu an disable it if it is turned on.

Having said that these Wi-Fi extenders does not provide true Ethernet output signal from a wire, do you think this would be the main cause I experience much much better sound via Wi-Fi? If so then my EtherRegen is not utilized at all since it gets a crappy signal and in my case it’s a pure waste of money.

About the EQ of the NDX via Wi-Fi we can summarize that the stronger and more durable Wi-Fi network I setup at home the less work the Wi-Fi module of the NDX has to do, which will decrease internal noise probably and provide better EQ.

Yes I do.
However more to do with the RFI they produce and that the chances are that is going to affect the Naim electronics.

Bite the bullet and get rid of them and wire an Ethernet lead instead… yes a bit of disruption but worth it. You may find with that the gap between wifi and Ethernet lessens, or you might even prefer Ethernet… either way you will have removed a massive RF generator from your house.

1 Like

Thank you, you provided really helpful information! I will investigate the option you described and try to implement it. I think you have also mentioned in another topic that having a switch near the hi-fi system and running a cable from it acts like an antenna, so I have two RF generators - Wi-Fi extender on the wall + switch. Seems like a double trouble… They are positioned only 4 feet away from my NDX and nDAC.

I was tempted to join this thread, I could not believe what I was reading, it’s 180 degrees opposite from what I hear with my NDX.
When I first got my NDX I experimented a lot, wireless & wired, I quickly focused on wired because wireless was clearly inferior but most annoyingly unreliable with dropouts, NAS & iRadio both affected the same.
Since then over the last 5 years I’ve gone through various wireless hub changes & spurred on by this thread I thought I’ll give wireless a 2nd chance. So last evening & again this morning I’m back on wireless. Big positive was last evening it played 2 albums with no dropouts, sound quality was OK, but not better. This morning I’m picking up some background effect or something I can’t ID that I had not noticed before on iRadio, I then reverted to ethernet & it’s gone.
That’s me done - ethernet is back.

1 Like

Also reading this with interest. Simon - are you saying that correctly implemented Wi-Fi could potentially sound better on my NDX2 than using it wired with Ethernet ?

I have mine connected by Ethernet, and have not experimented at all with Wi-Fi, I mistakenly thought that Ethernet was considered superior. I’m very happy to experiment, but I first need to locate the aerial which is buried in the loft somewhere, so want first to be sure that I have understood correctly…

Thanks, Paul

1 Like

Ha, I’m in exactly the same boat!

hi @corsuse
re the problem with tidal stopping when playing a playlist, i have had the same problem with qobuz thru the naim app. have discussed this with naim and it seems to be a problem with naim app losing contact with the streamer (muso2 in my case). i understand naim are looking into this area of the app hopefully for the next release.

1 Like

Ha, mine is waiting to go back inside the big Naim box up in the attic.

1 Like

@indexical Yes it might be also a software issue. I think the NDX is not supported anymore with latest firmware updates so even a fix is released I won’t be able to apply it?

@Mike-B Having read a lot of opinions like yours, I was also skeptical about Wi-Fi but decided to try it. It was also a huge surprise to me but it is what it is. Great sound via the Wi-Fi. In my particular case it might be that, as @Simon-in-Suffolk has pointed out, my Wi-Fi extender does not provide true Ethernet signal and what is more it gets it from the current of the mains socket. These factors probably degrade the Ethernet signal a lot in my local environment.

1 Like

not sure what situation is with ndx but if the solution is in the app software rather than device firmware then i believe you are using the same app so the fix might well work for ndx but it is probably a case of wait and see -or i guess you could raise it with naim support?

The Naim app does not carry any streaming data packets. It reads & displays stream information & sends control commands only.

Sorry for the intrusion on the topic, very interesting it is, but i wouldn’t have a google product near my property, let alone inside it and connected to google itself. Just my 2p.

2 Likes

agreed, but when the app loses contact with the streamer even for a short period it seems to have problems re-establishing information and control. at least that is my experience, on my system

Not wishing to be contrary (I am though :slight_smile: )but I recently added an extender, picked it up for a tenner so nothing to lose really. It lives on the landing in the centre of the house and connects to a bog std router in the living room and has been a major improvement to wifi throughout, even in the room where the router is. The iPad and my phone now connect to that network (same name as main with _EXT on the end) and suddenly bedroom browsing is better, sitting in the garden is no longer an exercise in frustration etc etc. I suspect when it was sorting itself out at setup it found a better channel number to use but I’m of the view that it works, it’s better, there’s no need to bother with it till I need to.

Neither of the Naim boxes (Muso, 272) connect via wifi so it hasn’t affected sq.

I understand that, but its a separate subject to the thread topic.
Try a forum search for this or similar & if thats not successful start a thread on the problem.
Be sure to describe in full you system components, how they are connected, your software revisions, the control device brand & model & its software number & finally your wireless hub brand & model. All are relevant to how the app ‘Finds Rooms’

1 Like

i don’t understand your point . the issue was raised by the OP in his original post and clarrified by the OP in a later post as the reason for not using wi-fi. i believe this is the op’s thread not yours and he has raised the subject - i was simply trying to compare with my experience. i have discussed this problem with @Stevesky and others at naim - i do not find your post helpfull. are you a moderator or something?