Naim newcomer - upgrade advice!

The Nova could be a good option if it’s in budget. More power and up to date tech and functionality. With the Evoke 10s I wouldn’t bother considering the Atom.

Back in the day, I added a NAP200 to my Uniti2 to better drive my MA GX300 Gold speakers. Although the addition of the 200 helped, I felt I wanted better SQ and started down the separates route by inserting a NDX and 202.

But the Nova wasn’t even a twinkle in Naim’s eye at that time.

Given where that route took you, do you think it might have ended differently if the Nova was available at the time?

And then…………….!

Probably not, as the SuperUniti was available then, and by getting the NAP200, I had already started on the separates route.

But the Nova might be all the OP ever needs, it is a cracking bit of kit, but the OP will need to check it can properly drive their speakers.

1 Like

Well the bug bit hard and, as you know, I have ended up with my ultimate Naim system.

1 Like

Having had the evoke 10’s they liked a bit of juice , sounded ok with xs2 but way better with sn3

Thanks for all the advice. I did have one further question in view especially of the (very helpful) comments that my relatively inefficient speakers could do with more power - is this a benefit predominantly at realistic (ie loud!) listening levels, or is it in fact also a noticeable benefit when playing music at more modest listening levels (semi-detached house etc)?

A more powerful amp will benefit both low level and loud listening levels. You will notice the better control the more powerful amp will have over the speakers’ drivers.

Hopefully you can demo the amp at home with your speakers, or at least take your speakers to the dealer for a demo.

Not sure if this is universally correct - but when I got a 300 it was masses better at low volumes than the olive 250 it replaced. And I have seen other people say that more powerful amps are better at lower volumes not just higher ones. But even if that is a generally true thing it may not be universal

Thanks chaps. Find it interesting that even at lower volumes a more powerful amp will sound better - but then i was never very good at physics!
Once again, much food for thought…

And also more easy drive speakers will sound better at low volume with the same amp.

A bigger amplifier will generally make the speakers more lively and can often make them sound bigger. Think of the amplifier as the engine that drives the speakers. More power will help the speakers to stop and start more quickly. Some will say this is a poor analogy, which I use not from a technical perspective but merely to illustrate the point: think of a big heavy car; a small underpowered engine will be just as noticeable at 30mph as at 70. It will always be sluggish and a little uncontrolled.

1 Like

I like the car analogy thing - in a big powerful car going uphill, yet with the slightest tap on the accelerator pedal, and you power on up effortlessly…With a smaller engined car however, one may have to change down a gear and scream the nuts off it. It’ll still get you up there but not quite as comfortably :wink:

1 Like

I’d prefer the latter if the girl next to me is beautiful ‘domestic harmony’.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.