Naim noob needs advice on upgrade path

Trying to thresh out a plan, I’ve another point of indecision. I was thinking that a 200 or 250 would be a good addition to the Atom but am now considering using the Atom as a streaming pre into a Supernait 2. The specs show a similar powered amp and it would leave me with more flexibility going forward and more analogue ins. I can’t find any examples of people doing this though. Is there a reason for this? Would it cause complications with the volume controls. I guess there must be something I’m missing? Thanks Matt

You’d be better swapping the Atom for an ND5XS2 if you went the Supernait route. The Atom doesn’t have a fixed line out and is not ideal.

For sure. Ultimately I do want to go to the ND5XS2 and SN2, but this would be a stop gap before that, as I only have a budget for incremental upgrade. Also the Atom does have RCA pre amp outs, so I wondered why you don’t read of people doing this? cheers Matt

There are so many options! You could connect the Atom to the Supernait and there must be a way to just use the SN’s power amp input using a suitable phono to din lead. Given that the Atom and ND5 are not that different price wise it may be easier to sell that and get both new boxes simultaneously.

1 Like

Thats a good point Hungry. I’ll look into it. your not wrong about options!

SuperUniti?

1 Like

Naim have said you can do it and treat is a source , but HH knows his stuff so I suspect yes it can be done but not as good as a dedicated streamer.

Having said that I am thinking of getting a UnitiQute2 for internet radio and perhaps as a secondary system at another time.

1 Like

I have direct experience using a Unitiqute 2 as a streamer only connected to both a 202/HC/200 and later on an 82/SC/250 and it worked very well and is very user friendly.
Having said that it was bettered sonically by a Raspberry Pi connected to a Chord 2Qute but the Pi/Qute was not as user friendly.

My very best advice if your determined to upgrade would be to sell the atom and buy an ND5XS2/SN2 or SN3 if funds allow.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.