Naim Nova, open-hearted reflections

Kudos speakers generally are not a difficult drive. In fact the first time I heard the original T88s it was with a Nap 200 sounded fine. Can’t comment on SL2s but heard them years ago on a LP12/Olive system, absolute rubbish :wink:

The Nova is probably a better match for your little Proacs

I’m not sure it’s better than an NDX2, PS555DR and a Supernait 3 though……

1 Like

Not to be Nova bashing but I didn’t get on with mine either, I think speaker pairing is crucial. I was driving Spendor A7’s and they’re fairly revealing and it showed up the Novas shortcomings. I listen to a fair few 128k radio streams and they didn’t sound too good at all, high Rez was better obviously but still not great imo. Switching to the SN3 & NDX2 was transformative and even the low Rez radio stations sounded great and overall much better grip and control. I’m surprised some dont hear an uplift but I guess it’s down to speaker pairing.

I’m sure it isn’t but a totally unfair comparison at four times the price.

@anon4489532 “brilliant” in the context of what it does for its design at price etc. I’ve said the same of my Qb.

On the matter of the 505s at the last Signals show in one room there was a ND555/552/500/Dyna Confidence……and it was awful people were almost running out of the room, lord knows what was wrong and I normally like Dynas, in the adjacent room a Linn Selekt with 505s and the room was buzzing!

3 Likes

I have a decent Linn system. I think my Uniti Nova systems sound quality is approximately on the same level.

1 Like

This is my humble system, Nova paired with Fyne F502sp.
I heard and liked the sound in the shop and had a home demo and enjoyed it even more.

4 Likes

Hi did the picture disappear?

1 Like

I was also told very different things about the Nova : a luxury « chaîne hi-fi » (i don’t know how to translate it in English, but it’s kind of expansive version of entry level hifi device), I was told that it was close to a SN3 with a dac…I don’t think that people that were sharing their believes were malicious, they just have different backgrounds and sensibilities.

Even if I think that the best money / value of the line is the Atom, I don’t really see which device, even separates, would provide me this sound quality and convenience at this price range. Sure, I guess you can have substantial SQ improvement, but I think that to achieve that, someone would have to invest a lot more (at least the double) even if it’s not in the Naim range.

1 Like

I find that with the Naim systems, the natural combinations are all very good at the respective price points when matched with appropriate speakers for room. The Nova is no exception to that principle.

4 Likes

[quote=“LindsayM, post:24, topic:18869”]
Leads me to speculate! I of course have no insider knowledge but I wonder if the much heralded 272 successor will be a Super Nova without power amp (Atom HE on steroids) with a series of new (white logo) power amps, and perhaps no external PSU option in the same way Statement is configured.
[/

Super Nova is a great name, hadn’t ever thought of that but it’s brilliant! I for one would be interested in less boxes and a great all in one at the next level. Here’s hoping……

1 Like

Wow! I read, in this thread, and others about speaker pairing and how crucial it can be, and if not happy, how expensive it can be to get it right. I consider myself exceptionally lucky then that when I got my Nova about a year ago and connected it to my four year old B & W CM8 S2’s that it seemed to me (to my ears at least) a very good match, a sound which is still very pleasing, a very lucky person I am!

2 Likes

The SuperNova idea has been bandied around for a good few years now. It will be interesting to see what finally emerges when supply chain issues are resolved. Maybe it uses blood tubes somewhere.

4 Likes

Had some slight concerns over my Nova and P3ESR , the sound had gone a little backwards when I switched to it (for non-audio reasons) from my Aethos by 10-15% (which on a pound per sound basis, was entirely reasonable)

My Nova currently has a full fat Powerline as a demo , and I am very , very happy with the sound - a Powerline on order, my CDX2 going for a service and a digital output fitted .

Next some better speaker cable , probably Tellurium Black 11 or Silver 11 - or indeed Witch Hat

It is a really good product - pleased

As I have said (many times) my aim was to downsize my system whilst keeping the SQ as high as possible and introducing an element of future proofing with a streaming capability . The Nova has ticked that box .

7 Likes

Hello young man, I spotted in your piece that you are thinking of using tellurium Black 11 (amongst others) with your Nova, this is the very cabling I use with my Nova, and whilst the speakers, and indeed the room can influence the final sound, I found this cable to give a very tight and open sound with excellent bass, just a thought, as it is quite an affordable upgrade. I wish you luck with your final choice!!

1 Like

I use the Black II (rather than the 11, which might be some way off) and it’s really nice sounding. It’s also small and flexible. I’m rather averse to using products from companies that make a living bodging Naim products, so Tellurium fits the bill nicely.

2 Likes

Oops, sorry chaps, you’re right HH. II it is.

not sure phantom is a bodge…just well engineered with plenty of copper

2 Likes

You are correct I run the Tellurium Black II in one system and the Phantom with the Nova, it’s bodge free in that nothing is made badly or clumsily as far as I can see or hear.

1 Like