Naim Nova - Teething problems et al

Just don’t forget to enable the SPDIF input on the Nova, if testing this transport. :wink:

Thanks again to all. Trying the Spdif route - is the cover art display on the Nova disabled doing it this way? Audio is playing via Roon in Experimental mode but no visual display on the Nova.

Why are you using the SPDIF, you would use that for connecting digital sources, otherwise use the Ethernet connection for streaming, or both.

Connect the Nova to the EE8. Connect the EE8 to your router and your media / NAS if using one to the EE8, router or anywhere on your network.

Hi Mike,

It’s so I can compare SQ when using a Zen Mini in tandem with the Nova, and the different permutations for serving and streaming music using Roon and or UPnP apps.

1 Like

I’m using a Zen Mini Mk 3 as a Roon core and streaming over wi-fi to my Uniti Atom. I find the SQ excellent whether streaming Qobuz or music on the Mini.

Peter

Still not sure about this, am sure Innuos advised you only benefit from the RAM buffering (SQ benefit) via their USB output, maybe worth emailing Innuos and checking rather than us all guessing on how the Innuos functions.

Note with this option you have to select and enable the Digital output, so only the output display will be shown on the Nova no any track info.

1 Like

Info I had directly from Innuos regarding my setup queries, most when I was using the Zen Mini MK3, but I quickly upgraded to the Zenith within 2 weeks.

​Tracks are loaded to RAM one by one so the size of the playlist is irrelevant. The loading is incremental and occurs in the first couple of seconds - there’s no delay in playback, it plays instantly.

In a nutshell, when connecting via USB using the experimental squeezelite mode, you are using our internal player which buffers the whole track in RAM providing less latency and causing the system less power noise as the HDD/SSD doesn’t need to be on reading files. There’s also the difference of how the interfaces (ethernet and USB) are implemented on the DACs/streamers. It does get complicated as there are many variables and they differ from system to system.

In which case there is not much of a penalty by using Roon, as RAM-buffering for audio can only apply to music played out directly via the audio output (USB in our case). RAM buffering does not need to apply at all when when streaming or using UPnP as the data transfer protocol is completely different - how this is handled once the file leaves the server is down to the streamer. And yes as you say, the Squeezelite player does not get involved at all in this scenario.

So, the question might be more whether Naims own native UPnP sounds better or not than Roons RAAT protocol. I would expect this difference to be quite narrow (if any), but should be easy enough to test/experiment with this at home to see if you can hear a meaningful difference yourself.
Do make sure you have the Naims ethernet connected to the Streamer port on the ZENith to get the most out of it!

Regarding the Audiophilleo with Pure Power, doesn’t just convert from USB to SPDIF, it also reclocks, uses battery power during playback and then more tweak type function which I have never bothered with, oh and it shows the actual bit rate from the Innuos into the Naim.

Major benefit also is NO other cable is required as the Audiophilleo plugs directly into the Naim digital port via BBC or coaxial.

Their is also a virtual cable function that allows you to add i suppose noise like a cable Does, if that floats your boat.

Thanks for all the information and for including the technical lowdown from Innuos themselves.

So it seems that despite what I thought about not needing to try a USB to Spdif converter, it might actually be a worthwhile experiment. The RAM buffering advantages enabled by the USB out of the ZM3 would be worth trying, I think.
Is this the gist of what you are saying is technically possible?

On another note, would you care to give a brief summary of gains you experienced when upgrading from Zen Mini 3 to Zenith. My ZM3 also has the LPSU linked to it, but I know most people regard the leap up to Zenith as sizeable.

Thanks.

In other related issues I am becoming increasingly frustrated with ALL streaming reliability into the Nova. Roon or no Roon, Naim app or even from Tidal and Qobuz apps via AirPlay or Chromecast. All of it is most unreliable to the point it requires a complete restart/reboot of each piece of equipment. (Router, Nova, Innuos, EE Switch)

I seem to be doing this every morning now. It seems unfair to apportion all the “blame” on the Nova but in my previous set up I rarely had connectivity or reliability issues with the streaming or serving from Innuos.

Any further thoughts out there?

Think I’ll play vinyl this morning and leave the blasted digital domain for a few hours!

Last night I had to reboot the iPad and iPhone to get everything working again - worth a try if you haven’t done so already.

I would drop Innuos an email regarding the coaxial output, but i was always told USB.

I went to cold buy the Zen Mini Mk3, but ended up with a Zen Mini MK2 home demo, this was after a period of using a Raspbery Pi UPnP setup to transcode as FLAC.

The Zen Mini MK2 was a sizeable step up from the Raspberry Pi, the Zen Mini MK3 more so, but getting a taste for it i jumped to the Zenith MK2 (think the MK3 was not released then or supply issues), this was a BIG step up, adding the Audiophilleo with Pure Power was even more - i recall after that posting on the forum, surely the server is the source first approach, based on the GIGO principle.

The jump to Zenith just brought more of everything, like a window flung open, adding the Audiophilleo was like swapping to a turntable so analogue and emotional.

I had a issues with the Audiophilleo Pure Power and foolishly upgraded to the Audiophilleo MK1 SE (was using the MK2) but this was without the Pure Power which i think was a mistake, as the Pure Power (playback via battery power) was a step up and now it is not an easy upgrade (need to return the the OEM).

I am hoping Innuos come up with a killer app, given they code, program, develop in house i assume it will be good.

Oh i asked Innuos about a Zen Mini MK3 with LPS versus the Zenith MK2/3, was advised close call but the latter Zenith’s have the edge, in your case not worth loosing any sleep over it.

Thanks Mike, I’ll add those devices to my ever growing list of reboots.

1 Like

Thanks Obsydian, all most interesting and helpful.

Much as I love the sonic uptick provided by the Nova I have to say I’m missing something of the ease of use of Innuos to Qutest via USB and onwards to amps.

I’m going to email Innuos and clarify the capabilities of the digital outs.

Thanks again.

It can be frustrating, my Naim streamers are usually rock solid and sound great. Sometimes though, things play up - streamers, phones, apps, networks, such is the nature of computer type stuff.

There is no right or wrong answer, heck look at the switch thread (proper marmite zone), i have listened to full on Naim systems (having owned one a long time back) and left thinking what all the fuss was about, yet those around me where thrusting wads of cash to buy them.

I learned to late to slow down and enjoy (i am second time around) not just rush buying boxes (Side note admission i have probably spent more than double the Nova cost on Fraim, Innuos, Audiophilleo, Synergistic Research accessories), optimising a system setup (room, supports, cables, music, mains, etc…) brings gains, but most of all the sole measure is, if you are not enjoying the music and getting frustrated with upgraditus or even box envy ( i suffered from that) then it is not worth it.

Also consider how much time you listen, as pouring cash into a system you only listen a few hours a week (like me) is pointless.

Oh worst of all i added an all in one soundbar to my TV with the Fire TV 4K so i can play Tidal videos from my TV and sound via the soundbar, yes the SQ is crap but the surround sound’ish and video really make it enjoyable for the whole family.

Mute point my Naim system speakers straddle my TV, i did plan to using the Nove for TV duties but never got the HMDI Arc to work and gave up, plus i like it for listening not watching.

Yes to all of the above - the frustrations and the temptations.

Music is central to my er, existence - which is the kind of statement I would baulk at ever so slightly if somebody I didn’t know said it - but it’s me and I think I know something of myself by now, so I’m allowed. Ha!

Central as in both my work and leisure revolve around it. Intermingled and sometimes one and the same, though I mostly prefer the latter, when work deadlines aren’t looming.

I’d say my listening is between 6-7 hours per day. Split between work and pleasure, no fixed ratio.

I’ve gone round the houses buying accessories (power supplies, reclockers, cables) with often only fleeting sonic gratification, yet stayed mostly with the same amps, turntable and speakers for years. Cost and expediency came into play there. For once.

DACs and streamers are the two pieces of kit I’ve changed most frequently. Which earlier this year led me to the Innuos stuff and last week led to buying an ex-dem Nova, and though happy enough with the latter’s one box does three things capability, I still have my other gear ready to bring back into play, if deemed necessary.

Where does all this lead? Nowhere fast, probably.

Charles, I wonder why you bother with Chromcast and AirPlay, as the sound quality is less than optimal.
You have a Nova, which can stream Tidal, Qobuz, and local files.
Your Innuos is like an audiophile Nas.
So the most straightforward way, without complications, would be to connect the Nova in Ethernet to the Innuos, the Innuos connected to a switch, and you are done.
You use the Naim app, and all should be fine.

However if you want the Innuos to be the player, connected in coaxial ( spdif) to the Nova, you add some complications. You will not have albums cover on the screen, you will have to use other App, and you use the Nova only as a Dac, not using its streaming platform.
Perhaps it will sound a bit better, but not sure. In the case of Obsydian, he has the Innuos Zenith, which is better vs the Zen, so more capable as a streaming platform, and Obsydian uses also a very expensive cable ( audiophileo).

So if you search easy way, use Naim app, connect the Nova to the Innuos with ethernet cable, the Innuos to a switch , and all should be fine.
No need, to my eyes at least, to use AirPlay and Chromcast too.

1 Like