Naim NSC 222 and Nap 250

That’s a very good system you had already, was it just simplicity that made you want to change? I’m sure a fair few folks on here, and elsewhere, will be interested to hear how you think the two systems compare :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries, you cannot see the top on two of the units, in a standard sized Fraim :blush:

5 Likes

What attracted me was the 100w output of the new Nap. And the new direction Naim took with these in terms of being more environmentally friendly using less power in standby. The units are using system automation via an optical cable. So when you switch off the NSC the NAP also switches off. I really like that. I used to feel bad it being on all the time.
I’ll post sound quality impressions once I have the NPX 300.

4 Likes

Wow stunning :star_struck:

Naim CD players have used a perspex ‘lid’ from the very outset, and I’ve never found that it looks out of place or even - dare I say it - cheap.

I have not seen the new kit - or the NSC222 in particular - for myself. To me, it looks absolutely fine in the promotional photos. (Not as good as the lovely old Olive stuff, mind, but not too shabby!)

3 Likes

In fairness to the OP, I think this is exactly his point. The promotional photos don’t match the reality at all.

It is a little odd that Naim chose to, if you’ll pardon the pun, gloss over the gloss finish.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. But I did not expect it to cause such considerable consternation.
When I ordered these I could not go to the dealer (130km away), so based on what I saw I got them. The acrylic was just so unexpected.
I don’t think this would change anyone’s mind whether to buy them or not. It was not the intention either. It sounds superb regardless of the aesthetics.
But reading even further about this range in NAIM’s website under each component you will see the ‘story about aluminum’. Not even here it mentions the acrylic or its purpose. It would have just been interesting to know why. Or how its inclusion was considered in the overall performance. To me it’s a rather radical departure from what was before. And people I assume would like to know more about it. In the end it’s just an observation. But surely it cannot be as tough and durable as the rest of the enclosure. So going for this - the benefits may have outweighed the ‘durability’ considerations.

2 Likes

FWIW I get what you are saying. This thread made me search on the units and I could not find a single other image that does not suggest a more mat finish. Neither the promotion images nor real life review images. All lighted in a way and photographed from an angle that does not show the mirror like shine.

2 Likes

How do you connect speakers to it could I connect NSC 222 to my Rega amp just wondering

File might be too much, but fine sandpaper could do the job :wink:
Indeed, your photo gives completely different perspective,

And seriously, what was the trigger to move from you current set up. Will be surprised the set new is better.

Higgy, it is connected to the NAP 250 new classic with the XLR connectors. I guess you can connect it to any power amp. since its has a pre-amp out you could potentially connect it to any amp you like.

Good question. I wanted to reduce on box count. I currently still use my NAC252, Supercap connected to the ATC P2. Which is marvelous. I had the previous NAP 250 before connected to this setup and to me it sounds very similar. But since I got the ATC SCM40’s I wanted to use the P2 as well. Who can say how my mind works at any given time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is not new. The CDS3 had Perspex although flush with the case work. If you look after things it stays fine but it’s not as pristine the day I bought it end 2004

I echo that… My 2003 CDS3 still looks as new including the perspex panel and sits on the top of my rack rather than hidden. Secret is to only clean sparingly with a soft bristled paintbrush with the vacuum cleaner hose gathering dust but never near surface.
I like the perspex panel on New Classic kit but not the finned heatsinks which will gather dust and be the devil to clean!

@anon17458420 did you buy your CDS3/252/300 system all at the same time? Just curious.

If so it sounds like you found the antidote to upgraditis with this system :+1:

Yes @Stu299

I was all done in one go. The LP12 was also done in the following year. I took a one year bank loan which was paid off quite quickly

I think that’s rather admirable. It must sound wonderful with the SL2’s.

Yes it does, although our near cuboid room is a bit of a strain sometimes. The place where we will retire will be much better.
I am in the process of creating a new room in the cellar which has the same dimensions as the living room but a slightly lower ceiling.
We extended the house including the cellar at the same time so made absolutely sure it would be constructed to modern standards

Are the SL2 up against a solid wall?

I’ve always wanted Naim speakers but alas I don’t have a solid wall to locate them against.

Brick interior wall. Solid yes but could be better

They were very good in our last flat, but they will shine in our final place