Naim olive pre and power

Hello, thank you for explanation, does than mean output signal from source or pre amp sensitivity is higher, would that be the case for a dedicated board, or just be very careful with volume, hence my pref for the 72 I am perhaps mistaken but my belief is the simplest path for the signal is the best, regards Neil.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve used the remote for my 52 in the last 8 years, I just move the volume pot to roughly the right position depending on if I’m listening to vinyl or CD when loading the media, easy.

I wouldn’t say the inputs or outputs are sensitive, just that there is a lot of extra volume in reserve in case you feel the need to do some target practice with the speaker drivers! Just try it, it’s less touchy than it sounds, it will be second nature after the first 2 minutes

1 Like

It’s not really a complaint, more observation.
I have a second system that my daughter uses that has a 72/140. Similar " limited use" of the volume pot on that, compared to my MF xa2 amp.
Maybe the sources are high, but don’t think so. Nominal 2v I think.
But, you do get used to it. And I can’t say I miss the remote either.

Hi again, I don’t actually want another remote it would just be another she who must be obeyed would hog, only joking I think, regards Neil.

Hello
The 180 was delivered today, that’s the amplification sorted both the 72 and the 180 are in amazing condition and a credit to their previous owners, I contacted class A to enquire about service and agreed the best way forward is after travel restrictions are lifted to take in early one day and pick up later same day can’t ask for better service than that, pun not intended, I haven’t sorted source out so can’t test them other than connecting up and turning on which I did with no problems, on the hunt for a suitable source cd just hope I’m as lucky as have been to date, will post again with progress update.
Regards Neil.

5 Likes

Hello again, as posted amplification sorted, one quick question is the later black 4pin snaic sonically superior to the older grey item, thanks again. Neil.

Don’t know, as my snaics are all black. But usually the later, and black cables are meant to be better.

1 Like

@Neil1956 have you sourced speakers yet?

I’ve taken advantage of Darran’s “while-you-wait” service in the past for my Olive HiCap and NAP250. You’re right that you won’t get better service than that, and you should be 100% confident that Darran will do a top-notch job with them.

I can’t help with your query regarding a 4 Pin Black Snaic, but having replaced one a year ago, I can confirm that the black 5 Pin Snaic IS a little better than the Grey. I would expect the same to be true for the 4Pin.

2 Likes

Hello, not quite but I am looking at a pair of pmc gb1i, I did listen to them a while ago and as my listening room is relatively small and they are not that sensitive to placement than they would be a good bet, will let you know if I get them. Regards Neil.

1 Like

Hello, that’s good enough for me I have ended up with a black and a grey 4pin hence my question, will definitely be using the black now, regards Neil.

1 Like

Re Black SNAIC’s. I will have any Naim Fairy Dust that I can get, at a reasonable price…

My original Black SNAIC-5 was £50, in 1999. They were new-ish then. I got 2 more, pre-loved in 2015 - one was £37, the other was £54. This was an ‘eBay Accident’ - I only needed 1 more. So, I sold the other one on, on eBay… for £75… :sunglasses:

Hello, thanks for your reply, it seems after buying units from separate sellers that I have ended up with two 4pin black ones, plus a very old grey one from years ago which on inspection is ready for bin as one of the non twist lock connections is broken, one of the two black ones will be put on a well known auction site, this hopefully offers another Naim user to poss upgrade from an inferior interconnect, regards Neil.

1 Like

I am confident the Grey SNAIC would be repairable… :thinking:

Hi I might look towards a repair when I take the 72/180 in for a service, it’s not a priority but will be a spare perhaps, regards Neil.

1 Like

Hi @Neil1956 , a pic or two of your setup and final speaker choice would not go unnoticed here. I for one was quite happy to see I wasn’t the only one at the time to get a “new” to me olive pre & power.

1 Like

Hello, I’m really pleased that you also have gone down the olive route, unfortunately I still haven’t got a front end sorted, 72/180 and gb1i speakers I promised that I wouldn’t put it all together until amps serviced and the CD player sorted, I haven’t posted for a while due to sudden potential serious ill health, not Covid, you never know what’s round the corner, so at the moment everything is on hold, I will post as soon as I have news regarding the cd, keep up the postings it rather nice to read, regards Neil.

4 Likes

Really sorry to read of your health issues Neil. I hope you’re on the road to recovery as soon as possible.
You’re showing admirable restraint in waiting for the amps to be serviced before putting the system together. I suspect most of us would be like kids with a new toy!
I wish you the very best of luck.

1 Like

All the best, hoping that this too shall pass.

I’m currently running mine through less than ideal speakers but until my Cyrus 782’s are repaired, it’ll have to do.

You’re in our thoughts, keep well and hope to hear from you soon.

Hi, and thanks for messages of support, no not restraint but I recall putting a system together in the distant past and it blew due to a fault and caused major damage which I want to avoid, hopefully after a few tests I’ll be back on the hunt for that cd front end, regards Neil.

3 Likes