Naim Powerline vs competition

I use cryo-treated power cables from Ice Age Audio. I had a Powerline on the SuperNait2, and then tried the cryo cable (copper/copper version). The SN2 woke up, sounding like a bolder, more assured version of itself. I sold the Powerline.

Jan

1 Like

To be honest there’s only one way to find out , it certainly won’t sound worse . I have a Powerline Lite that came with my Uniti Core , it’s a really nice well made cable .

Did you order that from their US site with plugs for your country?

Yes.

Why did you order the copper/copper version rather than the copper/silver or carbon fibre cable?

From the description, it seemed to offer more of what I was looking for at the time for the SN2 (warmth). I’m tempted by the silver/copper version though, to see if it can refine treble detail a bit more. In my main system (252/SC/250), I’m using the carbon fibre version as the main power cord into the distribution block (BIS Audio, also cryo treated).

A good review of the cables can be found on the hifizine website.

Jan

Naim Powelines are excellent, I use them on all my boxes that require power, I always think synergy is important.
I have also heard most of the TQ range, again extremely good, possibly more expensive depending on which one you try.

But always best to listen for yourself, so take advantage of your friendly dealer and arrange some dems

2 Likes

Just because a powerline is just the thing for a Naim box don’t expect it to be an upgrade generally. It made a Rega DAC sound horrible and I’m told by someone local who tried it it’s not much better for an Isis either. I do use one on my non Naim turntable power supply though.
When I bought my first I ran it in on the 250, then tried it throughout the system, except the PSC. My favourite place was on the CD5x, even though I had a flatcap powering its analog circuits. Eventually even the PSC got one to advantage.

1 Like

I’ve been through many power cables. At the end of the day - use only PowerLines.
They just work best with Naim boxes.

5 Likes

What more does a cable need to do other then provide a stable 230V and sufficient current to the unit? Do expensive power cables do more than this?

Much of the benefit with the Naim Power line range is decoupling the cable from the kit.
I tested four different mains cables with my missus, she had no idea which cable was which - just numbered 1 to 4.
I included a MCRU shielded cable, a quality (Belling Lee) , standard Naim and Powerline Lite. The PL Lite was streets ahead.
I even tried fooling her by swapping back to a previous cable during the test but she picked up on it :grin:

2 Likes

I used a 2-head Graham’s Hydra into the ps for the 272 and the 250. When the ps (XPSDR) was replaced with a 555PS it came with a Powerline, but as the Hydra had such an immediate and noticeable effect on the XPS I’ve left it in place in the 555.

As the Hydra is supposed to improve things with star earthing, and as I quiite fancy keeping the PL in its bag in the box that it all came as a nice little +ve when it comes to selling it on, is there likely to be any appreciable difference were I to use the PL in place of one leg of the Hydra?

1 Like

Since we’re on the Powerline topic, I have budget for only one PowerLine right now. Where should I place it? On my Naim Integrated amp or HighCapDR?

Tough call… test both.
I think integrated would see more benefits…

1 Like

Hicap. It made a huge difference to my system.

1 Like

Does anybody have experience of using a powerline on a Qb?

Vertere pulse HB mains

Thanks @Guinnless and @Adam.Zielinski I’m looking forward to testing.

Have you tried the Rega Reference mains cable? Cheap at 195 USD and works a treat in my Aria. Only downside is it’s stiffer than NACA5.

The Rega DAC was a temporary way to use my Core while I waited for what turned out to be the ND555, it now sits in a Cursa/Maia/allae system in my spare bedroom, still fed from the Core but hardly used. The standard Rega cable was pretty good with it once I’d found a digital cable that would let it sing.
When the Core was feeding the Rega in my main system via SPDIF (belden 4794R) a powerline on the Core was a nice upgrade over the Lite. That powerline is now feeding my turntable ps and I can’t say I’ve missed it on the Core via uPNP with CAT5e into the ND but I’ve not done a direct comparison as other changes coincided (plug order on the main system).