Naim Pre-Amp stopped working just like that light off no sound nothing

Well something may have got lost in translation but it was something about the power failing between the 2 units. Phew.

BRILLIANT
perhaps it also shows how crazy high naim service/repair costs are now? £70 paid or £800 quote…

£800? Where does that come from?

If they had been dropped off at a Naim dealer, the faulty pre-amp supply in the NAP140 could have been quickly identified and the unit sent back to the factory, where it could have been fully serviced (which would have meant the pre-amp cap would have been replaced along with all the other caps etc…) for £399.

2 Likes

Thanks Suedkiez.

I guess without any idea of the issue they quoted a possible worst case scenario.

Still, if you took the two items into the dealer it would have taken but a few minutes to ID the issue and would only have necessitated sending in the NAP, which could have been fully serviced for £399.

I would be very cautious with an amp that age

It could fail and unload a bunch of DC direct current into the speakers and destroy them

It really should be properly serviced with all the old caps replaced

Preamps can also short due to failing electrolytic capacitors and send DC

Better to pay more for a full service than end up for for that anyway shortly AND a speaker repair

The £800 came from local dealer approx quote of £400 for servicing each box. My local dealer recommended the place I then went to as Naim won’t accept anything unless it is in Naim packaging he told me. He mentioned a new integrated amp is £1,400 and probably better than my 28 year old kit as improvements made with new kits developed as the other option. So fingers crossed as I can’t really afford £800 right now and I do not have the packaging of course so would have to buy that from Naim also, apparently.

Yes I thought so…thanks

A good Naim dealer, as distinct from a poor Naim dealer, would lend you the packaging, although properly packaging older equipment would present a challenge for most dealers.

1 Like

Keeping the original boxes is always best… :thinking:

My loft is full of them!:laughing:

1 Like

:joy:

The good thing is that once we, men, get kicked out by our wife’s we have something to sleep in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.