Naim PS555 dr against old PS555

Yes, as mentioned earlier, they are demo units. They’ve had lots of hours on them.

PS555 immediately improved the SQ. PS555 dr - not that much.
it improved SQ but the difference was much less noticable.

Going back to the PS555, it was a BIG difference.

1 Like

The D/A hardware section of the nDAC is really reference class.

Specially the coupling of the digital signals to the analog part and the design of analog stage is slightly better - imho - in the nDAC than other Naim digital products.

I believe that was one of the reasons why the nDAC had to be discontinued.

1 Like

That is exactly in accordance to my observations.

nDAC SQ really jumped up to amazing levels once partnered with PS555.
Other PSU’s like XPS did not produce the same effect.

I havent been able to find units that are that much cheaper.
It still is a lot of cash, but in the case of PS555, definitely worth it , imo.

But I’d like to know more of your opinions.

It is very highly unlikely that Naim would launch a product that would sound less convincing than its predecessor.

While I’m a source-first kind of person, I must say that with a 272/PS555DR and 150/Arrivas it sure as hell isn’t the front end that deserves attention.

I agree about Naim, @alexiss. When I preferred and bought the non DR 555PS I puzzled over this. My conclusion was that I had tried to introduce a 500 series component of the very latest specification into my (then) mix of XS/Classic system, none of which had DR. It, the 555PSDR, was too much for the system while the ‘lesser’ 555PS fitted in fine. But Naim was right all along because when I had SL loom, powerlines everywhere, a 300DR and a demo 552DR on loan, the DR version of the 555PS showed what it was truly capable of. When I bought the 552DR I also had my 555PS upgraded to DR status.

1 Like

:grin:
It’s better than 20k speakers with a Supernait though :wink:

But you can’t even spell Arivas!
When did you last hear them in your house carefully set up and tuned and with a 272/555DR?
Clearly never.
They have 3 drivers, HH. These 3 drivers are not right next to one another, like they are on a lot of other louadspeakers. That helps Arivas to generate a nice wide field of sound.
Almost everyone attacks the Arivas, but hardly anyone has heard what they can do with today’s kit.

Yes - I know I should get a 250DR.
And I might do that.
But it’s interesting to consider other possibilities too.

1 Like

No, I’ve never heard them in my house. But turning things on their head I suspect you’ve never heard what a 272/555 is capable of with a really good power amp and speakers. I suspect you’ll gain far more from balancing things out than from going for an NDS and a 282. Probably for less outlay too.

1 Like

Does not compute!
Improving on my speakers seems likely to cost me at least £5k.
And a SH 250DR is around £3k.
And the 150x and Arivas would bring in not a lot if I sold them.

But it’s a different story at the front end…

Again, apologies to the OP for thread drift!

But, yes, I agree - the safe and balanced-system way foward is get a 250DR.

But it’s a big decision because this will probably be my last purchase until I’m 60 in 4.5 years time.
Front end or back end?
NDS or 250DR?
Which will sound better?

@JimDog, I think this warrants a separate thread, but as I am here I would say 250DR, but I have heard what a 250DR can do and have no experience of the 150 or Arivas. The 272/555DR does deserve better though, IMHO.

Apologies for drifting.

1 Like

You’d do well to listen to folks like HH JimDog. He’s been right up to the top of Naim’s range (bar Statement which wasn’t around then) back down and part way back up again so knows more than most what box impacts what.

It’s no good shouting down those who are trying to help you out - something HH always tries to do on here.

1 Like

Thanks all - and apologies again for digression.
cheers
Jim

The DR version of the power supply has a lower noise floor, so music should sound a little calmer and clearer. However, the Naim dac was developed when the non-DR version was in production, so may well have been fine tuned to give of its best with the non-DR version.

Several members of this forum prefer the dac with the non-DR version, so you would not be alone in preferring the dac with non-DR 555PS.

To argue against myself here, my CDS3 sounded wonderful with the 555PS but even more so with the 555PSDR!

Note that the 272 pre-amp and the new generation of streamers will almost certainly be better with the DR version to the majority of listeners.

Hope this helps, if only a bit.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Hi BF and thanks for your response.

Well, it is extremely reassuring to hear that there are few others who prefer the old PS555.

I agree with you on the fact that it’d be logical to assume DR stuff is optimized for the new line of products.
However, talking to Naim - they did not confirm this.

As you pointed out, the DR measures waaay better than the old design.
So it should sound better…but with my DAC…it doesnot.

The old PS555 sounds incredible.

Go with what your ears are telling you. It’s the only ‘measure’ you need. :+1:

1 Like

Call me a cynic, but your dealer is there to make money, and he is unlikely to concede that the latest model is inferior to the old one.

:+1::+1::+1:

That’s unfortunately a fact. Good thing there are forums to ask for others opinions :laughing:

RackKit hits the nail on the head for me here. Pick the one that you prefer, regardless of what others may say.

When I tried a new Supercap DR against my olive Supercap on both a Superline (i.e. a modern design) and the NAC52 (an old design), the Superline was obviously clearer, better focused, more resolving and enjoyable when powered by the Supercap DR.

Conversely, I preferred music when the 52 was powered by the non-DR olive Supercap. The 52 with Supercap DR was better hifi but I felt emotionally disconnected from the music.

Sometimes, it just comes down to which power supply the component has been voiced with in the final stages of development by Naim. The dac was voiced (as I understand it) to work with the 555PS non-DR. Perhaps this verifies how much effort Naim goes to in order to make its systems musical.

Best regards, BF

1 Like