Naim PS555 dr against old PS555

You can get a DR one for that! In fact I have seen DR ones sell for closer to £4k! It must be DR upgraded for that price…

Not any more…

No point buying a non DR one anymore unless you specifically want one with the new service/DR combo pricing. Might as well just buy a pre loved DR one. I think a non DR will probably settle around £2.3-2.5k after that kicks in. Can’t imagine demand will be that high. Some users of CDS3 and NDAC may prefer one but outside of that I think almost everyone else will go for the DR…

What you’re sayin is ofcourse logical. But i’ve auditioned the old PS555 vs the DR version extensively, over a period of two weeks and very surprisingly, the non DR version sounds better with my nDAC every time.

So I was thinkin 'bout tryin to locate an old PS555.

I think the new pricing cuts in on 1st September, at £2,499.

My Goodness!!
Thtat is interesting.

I wonder what prompted them to cut down the price???

Oh… That is not the price of the unit itself.
It’s the price of the service and upgrade - of course

People generally buy the old units and have them upgraded as a cost effective route to a 555PS DR. Second hand pricing of the DR version (not an upgraded one) has floated around the £4-£4.5k mark on eBay the last 12 months (I was considering one so set up an alert) The old unit now costs £2.5k to upgrade so even if you paid £2k for an old one, then you would potentially still be spending more! (factor in the upgrade time also at the factory)

If you want an old 555 I would wait a few months as most people will be far better off selling their old unit and buying a pre loved DR. This way they experience no music down time either while the unit is being sent away.

I think you are in a great position to pick up a nice unit for a sensible price. Factor in the cost of a service also as some of these units could be getting close to needing one now.

I have a non DR 555PS - I imagine I will be trading it for a DR model before long as this is a more cost-efficient approach than paying 2.5k for an upgrade.

Thanks Steve! :+1:

1 Like

The dr on the nds gave more detail soundstage and bass texture…a really good upgrade. However the 555ps is still an epic psu add one to a 272 and it will really sing…the dr for me really added that final element that lifted sound quality to kind of like an analogue level…like upgrading a cartridge.

Thanks for the reply.
quite interesting…

Some have noticed that the non DR version, sonically at least, outperforms the new DR version.

DR version has massively better specs,
most of which are not that important for Audio.

It feature very low ouput noise.
In Naims applications, that low noise is not put to good use, unfortunately.

But the new DR version is SEXY.

Cheers

Has anyone mixed DR and non-DR 555’s on an NDS?
I have a NDS/555DR presently but have wondered about the 2nd 555 option, however at full price 555DR is out of budget, but a cheaper non-DR unit as the second 555 could be.
If so, which way round DR unit for ‘A’ and non-DR for ‘B’?
Simon

1 Like

The DR update does certainly improve naim equipment … sonically. The point I was making is that the non DR does not sound broken and is still excellent.

They look identical! Both versions can have either the 500 or classic series finish!

I have only heard a few people voice a personal preference of the non DR version when used with an NDAC. Maybe 1 or 2 who were using with a CDS3 also but I could be wrong. Both of these products were designed before DR so if your ears prefer a non DR then thats the best one sonically for you. This may not be what someone else thinks of course!

:+1:

Absolutely correct.

I used to run a 555DR on my CD555 and a non DR 555 on my NDX as streaming was a 3rd source (after the LP12 & CD). As streaming has gained relative increased use I recently got a new ND555 for the NDX and swapped them over such that the non DR is on the CD and DR on the ND. So I’m sure it would be worth DRing the one on the CD, but also thinking whether to run 2 555s on the ND. If so is there any view that one non DR/one DR is better on the ND, or clearly better with 2 DRs? To decide whether to upgrade the non DR one and/or buy another DR one (or two)?

Neil

I was there when an owner added a second 555 to his ND555 and there was a significant improvement. I cannot tel you that it’s worth it for you, of course - only you can decide that

1 Like