Naim SBL vs LS3/5a

Hello @MrUnderhill,
How are you getting on with the P3ESR and would that be the new XD version

I’ll ask Richard for your email & send you a message.

Yes that’s fine by me.

5 Likes

They will need to replace the wharfedales at some stage

Make sure to hear both the Falcon LS3/5a and Harbeth P3ESR - a friend brought over his original version of the P3ESR which sounded very different from the Falcons. The Falcons were lively, exciting, open detailed and one the best speakers I have had in the room - the Harbeth were none of that.

Was that the XD version.

The falcons sadly will be hard to home demo

SBL and Rogers LS3/5a are the only speakers that stayed over many years for me since the early 80s.

I will be receiving the Falcon Q7 tomorrow with the ”gold” LS3/5a crossovers. The Q7 is basically a LS3/5a with 6.5cm extra depth giving it a Q of 0.7 and drops the bass bump of the 3/5a so it is a different speaker, more all-round … but I still have the Rogers stored up in the attic if the Q7 are too boring :slight_smile:

Original P3ESR not the XD - I do understand there is a bit of difference to the XD. My friend picked up the Falcon LS3/5a right after listening and the Falcons are now placed next to his 40.2 anniversary where the Falcons outplay the 40.2 on surprisingly many pieces with their more open and detailed sound. Harbeth is quite a bit of a different flavour - warmer, less pace, less detail, still very natural

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I just had a look and there appears to be a place in Hannover that sells them. I will see if I can get a pair for demo.

As mentioned above we had all of them in the same room - Falcon LS3/5a, Graham LS5/9, Graham LS3/5, Harbeth P3ESR on a Naim Olive 52/SC/250 with Linn Klimax/Aro/Kandid. Surprisingly our preference ended up in the order above with the Falcon and Grahams ahead of the Harbeth. And all LS3/5 variants sounded surprisingly different. Viel Spaß in Hannover!

3 Likes

Meanwhile over on the JBL thread, I am quietly confident that partnering the right speakers with a NAC42 and NAP110 will give a very pleasing result.

1 Like

I am loving the P3 in my nearfield system, there is a richness to the mid range that is captivating.

I am just getting my hands on a valve power amp as I am curious as to how that will sound through the Falcons.

1 Like

A friend has a classic pair of 1970s JBLs. He has had the crossover breathed upon. He uses it on the end of his 401/Audionote arm & Cartridge/ YBA integrated. Sounds superb, especially as we are both products of 1970s music, it just rocks.

Sounds encouraging. I will hopefully arrange a full week in France with them together with the 42/110 and a couple of days either side of that with the 252/300 in July

1 Like

My very kind dealer will lend me the Harbeth P3 from May 16th until June 1st.

Oh and I’m so looking forward to getting these SL2s into a decent non cuboid listening space

3 Likes

They are fantastic with lots of types of music and occasionally go deeper than I was expecting

1 Like

Good to know Ian2001. I am looking forward to a home demo. What stands are you using with them

They are dedicated HiFi rack stands , not sure if they are available theses days .

Picking the Harbeths up next Saturday and will get to try them in both my systems.
In the studio on Saturday I will listen to both the C7ES-3 XD and the P3ESR XD, but will take away the P3 for home demo

1 Like