Naim Service cost

Is there a public price list available for service only of Naim products (not DR)? The Naim HQ price list. I’ve only found the DR+Service price list.

Mainly interested in service cost for 555PSDR but would be great to have it on hand for other Naim products too so you know what is coming up ahead.

£500 at Naim HQ

I am sure Richard will be able to clarify matters but I believe the DR service is a comprehensive revamp that will practically include most if not all that is covered under a typical “service”.

I don’t think a fixed price menu would be available for othe jobs because each item may require different parts etc. Take fixed price car service prices for example: they often look attractive until you realise 90% is visual inspection only, which most times you could do yourself.

I have just had 2xNAP135/Supercap/52 (including POTS8) done at Naim, and although it was not cheap it was actually substantially less than in thought (feared) it would be.

Best to contact your dealer for an estimate of cost for any service or repair work.

Id like to understand service cost prior to purchasing the equipment. Not possible? I thought the 12-15 year service was a routine swap of components with a fixed pricing. No?

Up to a point yes, but it will depend on whether it’s just a standard service or whether there’s other work also required. Also it will depend on where you are in the world. It’s easy to forget that this is an international forum and costs may be different in other countries.

As ever, the best people to give you an estimate of what a service might cost are Naim’s service dept. or your dealer. There’s of course the alternative of using someone like Darran at Class A - again, the best person to give you an estimate of what he might charge for any specific service would be him.

If you were to email any of them and also for an estimate of what it might cost right now for a standard service then I’m sure they will oblige you with an indication.

Is the routine for out of warranty service cost (the 12-15 years routine intervall service this is) quotes to go with a Naim dealer even if they didn’t sell me the product or I don’t own one or directly to Naim?

What I was looking for was a price list like this one but for standard 12-15 years service only without DR upgrade. Fully understand it might be other stuff coming up when the product is overlooked but atleast it’s a target :slight_smile:

I’m not aware of one. Naim or your Naim dealer would know for sure if there was such a thing.

When I worked at Naim we used to have an internal price indication list that was helpful for dealers - maybe there’s still something similar used today.

As for service routine, you need to make contact with a Naim dealer they will then arrange for an RMA and the kit to be serviced at Naim. If dealing with Class A then contact Darran directly.

You must go via a Naim dealer if you want Naim to service it. Otherwise send it to Darran, who will be cheaper and quicker, but just as good. Note that if Darran does it the service is not recorded on Naim’s central service record, so keep the service receipt.

FYI, I had my 555PSDRs serviced in Feb-20 and the cost via UK dealer was £607 per item i.e. for service only.

IMHO (which some other Forumites agree with per posts), the often cited 12/15Y service timeline for a 555PS is too long. On reflection I would stick at around 10Y’s.

The difference post return was marked - see here:

1 Like

From the Naim website:

How often should I service my Naim product? This is a question often asked, and the Service Department recommendations are as follows: for the Chrome bumper (circa 1975 to 1989) and Olive (circa 1989 - 2000) range products, we recommend every 8 - 10 years and for the newer black products (2000 - present), every 12 - 15 years.

2 Likes

Remember also that these are only general recommendations and not compulsory. For one reason and another, I’ve let my kit go a bit too long without a service and it still sounds very good. I’m sure it’ll sound even better when it is actually serviced, but by no means does it currently sound like four spanners and a cat in a washing machine spin cycle.

If you don’t service a car as often as you should, you can shorten its useful life at best, or put lives in danger at worst. Neither is true for hifi - unless you wait so long and treat it so badly it becomes electrically unsafe!

Mark

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.