Naim SN2 and ND5XS2 --- any additions?

Thanks and enjoy your setup! Totally understand your remark on rediscovering your music :slight_smile:

1 Like

Butā€¦ i have a toslink but does that work if I link that to the streamer? Does that work with a SN2? Do I just need to switch to TV on the naim app?

Would a AQ Yosemite DIN - which I could buy at a reasonable prive 2nd hand - be worth the investment? I am now playing with the standard DIN. Yesā€¦the streamer arrived today! And as a coincedence I stumbled into that cable :wink:. Other questionā€¦does the ND5XS2 need a long period to really warm up or is it up to 100% sound performance right away? Anywayā€¦listening to the first song already (Fear inoculum - Tool) I noticed this streamer is a serious upgrade! So whatever cableā€¦I am already very happy :partying_face:

3 Likes

That is awesome to hear!
Iā€™m afraid I have no experience with the Yosemite DIN, but I regard AQ with respect, plus it seems many quite like the AQ DIN cables for Naim, and that line for AQ is purportedly a great one for many. I have had their SKY ICs (though RCAs) in my system in one way or another for years and have zero interest in getting rid of them. Very balanced and detailed for a silver cable. If it can be had for a reasonable price, why not? However, you could also live with the streamer and standard DIN to have a reference point, IMO. Iā€™m not a huge believer that cables make a profound difference, so maybe the query is wasted on me. I believe they can make a subtle difference, yes; however, thatā€™s where it mostly ends for me.
As to warm up or break-in, I believe all components have some of this to go through to varying degrees (speakers likely different from amps and so forth). If I can rely on my memory, I thought the ND5 XS2 sounded brilliant from out of the box. Iā€™ve tweaked so much since then in the form of Ethernet cables, a switch and LPSU that my opinionā€™s reliability has long expired.
Regardless, I have zero doubt as to the enjoyment you have to come with it. Every night I just marvel at how good this streamer is within the boundaries of my own system. My vinyl playback has taken quite a substantial backseat since I acquired this box. Congrats, enjoy and good luck!

Cheers!! I like this answer. It gives me exactly that food for thought that I need! And yes reliving the joys of your favorite music is what I am doing right now! Within my system this sound is amazing and worth the investment! Thanks and keep enjoying your setup too!

1 Like

I got a new ND5XS2 and a Naim DAC about a month ago.

The streamer was very good out of the box and has continued to sound better and stabilise since then.

I plug my TV audio output via Toslink into my DAC, but I think you can plug yours into digital input 1 or 2 on the ND5XS2 and just select that input on the Naim app.

I agree that it makes sense to tune into the new streamer with its standard cables.

I am going to try a Chord Shawline din cable as a comparison.

1 Like

Indeed, you can. You can do digital input or I use an S/PDIF from my Rega Saturn-Rā€™s DAC and choose that particular output setting with the correct checkmarks in the Naim app: Output settingsā€”>Digital BNC, S/SPIF format, Native.

Thx! Indeed with toslink and the TV buttinin the app works perfect. And i did buy another cable: Audioquest Yosemite DIN. Subtle improvement but worth the investment (and sold some old cables so the wife is not too cranky :wink:). Enjoy your setup too!! It is a great streamer .

I love the ND5XS2.

Brilliant SQ as a digital transport (i.e. digital out).

4 Likes

Iā€™ll second that assessment.

3 Likes

Thirded. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @JanW, very nice system that will give you years of pleasure and listening-fn. Good choice to go for the latest streaming platform allowing you to enjoy things like Qobuz, Tidal and Roon.

Regarding the Silent Angel: I use one and can absolutely recommend it. It made a great uplift to my Cisco one (that I still use in conjunction). If youā€™d opt for the Silent Angel (there are good alternatives like the English Electric) you might want to consider the accompanying Forester PSU which did a lot to me.

I noticed you also had some questions on the interconnect. With your system Iā€™d recommend to use the standard Naim Lavender or look for a second-hand HiLine

Enjoy
Iver

3 Likes

I am determined to get that nd5xs2 in 2021. Although I did say that about 2020. And also 2019 which is where I came in. Groan.

Me too, so many other financial concerns weighing me down.

The money was set aside 18 months ago but luckily it has been gaining 0.01% interest.
Itā€™s courage I lack.
Hope 2021 good for you atb :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

Concerns about job security too.

Thanks - hope all comes good in 2021.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.