Naim software performance

From my nearly two years with Naim and experience with the Atom, I would say yes they need to improve. The app has got better but is still buggy on Android but it’s a massive improvement on where it was when I first got the Atom.

Its the firmware on the units thats more concerning to me as the QC seems to be very inconsistent and then the length of time to sort out the problems that arise from the upgrades is worrying. I have had changing sq , 100% volume bugs twice now in different firmwares. One was an issue switching from an input with AV fixed volume to another which resulted in 100% volume they fixed that a few versions back and now the one that’s just occurred with latest firmware.

I reluctantly voted yes but only because my ND5 XS 2 doesn’t turn on from standby first time round. It’s always a second attempt or even a third attempt command. Other than that I don’t have any other issues with it.

I cannot really comment on the current Naim software as I do not use any Naim product that heavily relies on application-level software: no servers, no streamers, no Naim app.

What I can say is that my decision not to buy any of these products has been largely motivated by the impression (gathered by reading user guides where available and posts on this forum) that Naim software was neither particularly well designed nor very reliable. For instance, their UPnP server is far behind standard alternatives like MinimServer or Asset in almost every respect.

I also have the impression that the software that I currently use for streaming - MinimServer, upmpdcli and BubbleUPnP - are better supported and receive more frequent updates than Naim software.

I voted yes because the software/firmware is clearly deficient. The number and range of adverse comments over the past couple of years on this forum highlight that very clearly.

I purchased a Nova and Core, in late 2017 (IIRC), believing the claims made by Naim at the time and having had a long-standing attachment to the brand. However, they are both still in their boxes, unused, because I simply could not face the scale of aggravation being described by other users. Nor am I interested in tuning/updating/reconfiguring my internet to the degree that a lot of users on here clearly are. The Nova (imho) is a tremendous marketing success and a technical failure (to date). I’d love my money back …

The QBs are an excellent product - I happily stream to those via Spotify and my iPhone - superb price/performance!

I love the CD5si and Nait 5si - they just work every time :+1:

Hi Stephen, have you tried talking to your dealer to make sure you don’t have a particular fault with your ND5XS2. I don’t have this issue with my NDX2 and I think the core code for this is the sane.

I run an Atom as my second system and while I have had the odd issue with its OS I don’t think it’s a failure. To be honest I’m quite impressed by its (musical) performance.

It’s a shame there still in the box.

That would explain the poor communication after the launch of the Uniti platform with the Uniti Core and the many idiosyncrasies at the border between software design and software implementation.

Still, why do Naim not use well established standard software as most other companies do? There are years of development behind products like MPD, MinimServer, etc.

Why not to take advantage of what is available now and works better than what Naim could achieve (with limited resources and a much wider focus) only in the long run?

Hello Simon
My ND5SX2 always needs a couple of attempts - the same as Stephen. If the Cisco has previously been turned off it will not start now without having to manually turn on with the button.

1 Like

If you’re happy with the Qb then you should be happy with the Nova and Core. I also have all 3 and the Nova and Core have proved just as easy to set up and as reliable as the Qb.

My thought also. Look at what Melco has been doing together with SongKong for Twonky/Minim - and most of this work has been made available to all Minim-users.

Or look at Linn where you can get access to certain API:s etc.

There is also still room for imporvement in UPnP like using HTTP/2 and/or optimizing use of multicore CPU:s using latest non-blocking features in C++20 (and coming C++23). ohNet or Roon is not the end.

Ok when you say the Cisco? Are you talking about a 2960 or similar device… if so that is likely not really do to with the ND5XS2, but likely to the default protection you have on the 2960 that defaults to an infrastructure port with loop detection, rather than a host port as these devices are not really designed for home networks. If you use the 2960 you should set the port connect to the Naim as a ‘fastport’ - ie with no loop detection… that means the port comes up quickly and so the ND5XS2 - or any Naim streamer is less likely to get confused with its DHCP timing.
I am not certain it is this - but sounds like it could be the case - certainly something to try and eliminate. If so Naim could likely build a work around - but would be a specific work around not normally required in home networks

That’s a lot of money sitting unused for 2 years! Any particular reason for not selling them on?

1 Like

Hello Simon, yes after reading many posts on here regarding the switches I added a Cisco 2960 switch I purchased from the bay.

I plugged the streamer cable into the furthest port away from the inlet cable from the nowtv internet box that connects to the incoming socket on the wall.

The Cisco being second hand I don’t know if it’s configured or properly reset to factory default.

I would really welcome it if Naim publishes an API so that I can write a very simple app which does exactly what I need, not more, not less.

3 Likes

That needs to be addressed.

1 Like

They are only going to depreciate boxed or unboxed, and you might want to check they are ok as I suspect standard warranties may be about to run out - did you register for the extended warranty?

The Nova is an excellent machine on thw whole - my only real gripe has been a change in sound between early firmware and a few versions are ago - some here loved the change I didn’t, but more recent/current firmware sounds very good to me, much more like early versions (other may disagree).

I also haven’t had many issue with the software on iOS. Wireless discovery/connectivity issues have plagues all manner of devices for years and are often not due to the product itself but the user’s wi-fi. Admittedly I use the Nova wired but the app connects over wi-fi on the phone.

You may be missing out on a very good sound, and while the Nova digitises analogue inputs it did a fine job with my LP12.

The Core may have its detractors but I’ll admit I’ve wondered about getting one as my old WD NAS is pathetic and I find ripping CDs and shuffling/organising files around drives/network on my computer a real chore- others are probably better organised than me.

If you do try the Nova make a note of the firmware and take you time before updating (the current apps may not allow access to a few settings though).

The Naim app was my first experience of an iOS user interface for audio equipment. My first impressions are that it was a bit basic but that it worked for me most of the time. Having experienced the software 'packaged ’ with a few other High end audio products I can see that the Naim offering is far from the worse but still not in keeping with the brand identity with quality.

Given that the tablet or phone app is the user interface with their ‘High End kit’ I cannot understand why all of these manufacturers offer up their products with such feeble interfaces.

Why don’t they employ some people who know what they are doing?

Hi Simon,

Mike_S has the same with his NDX2. I don’t think my ND5 XS 2 faulty, it sounds terrific and once up and running it runs faultless It’s the app and the buggy wireless command like most things wireless, it’s temperamental.

Hi - yes factory defaults will put loop detection in - which delays the port becoming activated on wake up if the port has timed out

If you know how to configure Cisco devices then you need to enable Fastport. If not - temporarily swap the switch out for a standard unmanaged Netgear or similar that has no such protection and see if the Streamer behaves better upon wakeup

1 Like

No particular reason - I guess I had hoped that they would come good. I even bought a Samsung 4tb ssd for the Core … still packaged …

It may be time to face up to the issue :thinking: