Naim Stageline N versions

I-Supply powering the headline sounds very good in my Naim system. Flatcap or hicap better still but much more expensive.

1 Like

So my flatcap2x is 13 years old. I have noticed a slight mechanical hum from the box.
I don’t think this hum is transferring to the stageline’s signal.
As you say that the FCap should be a step or two up (I felt the difference was only marginal), is my FC in need of a service?

Apologies if I am a little off topic, but seems relevant to ask here whilst we are discussing the relative merits of different power supplies with the Stageline, particularly older power supplies.

If it’s in need of a service (and at 13 years old, that’s a definite possibility) then performance will definitely suffer.

Thank you Richard, I’ll ask about a service then. :slight_smile:

Agreed, but Naim kit works at its best when powered from a separate power supply, which I suppose you could argue the pre-amp is separate but the Flat/Hi Cap is dedicated just for that.

Noticeable improvement over what?

Powering it from the 202 Aux Pwr socket.

The reason I ask is I am considering downsizing (the number of boxes). Currently have an LP12/Ekos2/Argo i and a NAC 252/SC2/NAP250.2. The Stageline is powered by the 252. If I go for an amp without a powered Aux socket, would the i-supply just be totally inappropriate in a system like this? The Stageline is probably already the weak link so would powering it with the i-supply just kill vinyl reproduction quality? I don’t particularly want to power it with a Flatcap or Hicap as that’s just more boxes(!)

Keep the supercap for the stageline, or better a superline in that case.

Don’t want another big box. Also, I wouldn’t waste a supercap on a stageline - I would sell it with the 252.

If you’re downsizing and want to minimise boxes while maintaining or even improving performance on vinyl then consider a phono stage such as a Prefix that will fit inside your LP12. Power it from a Hicap and you have just the one half-size box.

1 Like

If I downsize to a Supernait 3 how does the internal MM phono stage compare to the Stageline N?
(This would be for a future change to a MM cartridge - don’t ask!)

I haven’t heard the SN3 so couldn’t say, but others may have already done the comparison.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.