Naim Streamers. Educate me!

I guess you mean is it OK to use wireless.
Not done it myself but others have, so I guess it’s OK
I suggest you hold off until another wireless Mac user chips in with their input.

Exactly. Using wireless with my macbook instead of ethernet since it lacks this port.

If your WiFi is stable, it’ll be fine. I’ve done plenty of streamer updates with a MacBook over WiFi in the past.
Alternatively you can buy a USB to Ethernet adapter for a few quid.

Ok thanks! What’s the latest in going from 4.4 to 4.7? Should I do it or hold off? Seen some complaints about 4.7 being worse than 4.4 in terms of sound quality.

I have no complaints about sound quality with 4.7. If you save the downloads on your computer, you can reload them at any time if you prefer an older version.

Me too, like ChrisSU, no complaints with 4.7.
When I was beta testing the streamer firmware we frequently had mixed opinions about SQ changes, it seemed to me most times it was the NDS owners who were most divided, NDX mostly agreed. Most of the testing was for features rather than sound, and the SQ changes over time did improve but it has to be said the changes were subtle at best, but what we have with 4.7 is about as good as it got. ( IMO = :wink: )

I’m using the DIN analogue output now but want to evaluate my RCA. But if I have DIN and RCA connected and both activated in the ND5XS I still get only sound from the DIN output and not RCA. Do I need to remove the DIN cable to make it work or? I thought I’d AB test DIN and RCA in a simple way.

Running them into my SN1 Tuner (DIN) and Tape (RCA) inputs.

EDIT: Seems like my ports in the SN is routed strange. Need to overlook it.

Hi… the internet is a public network… cloud is the current generalised term used to describe hosted service capability accessed by the internet…(as opposed to private cloud, which is accessed with private networks… typically non internet).
So services like Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz are cloud based services, and as such accessed via the public internet.
Your Naim streamer can currently consume Spotify and a Tidal cloud services out of the box via your internet connection , as well as locally home served media using UPnP.

With the later streamers, they can work with more third party application running on a separate computer or sometimes NAS, which can collate cloud based and even local based services together and present them to your streamer for consumption. Roon and Chromecast as well as Apple Airplay are examples of these… each with their specific pros and cons.

Is there any way controlling my ND5XS from my computer (Macbook) in terms of Tidal? Spotify Connect is no problem.

Other:
I’ve used the ND5XS now for a couple of days. Compared to the SN1 DAC it goes deeper, is more well defined and much more PRaT in the lower frequencies which sounds great. The SN1 DAC sounds really bad in comparison. The output from the ND5XS is also very high/hot so I cannot play above 8 in my SN1 now compared to 9-10 with the SN1 DAC. However in the mids and highs I tend to find the ND5XS at bit cold and too much on some recordings. It’s more of a gamble now in what sounds awesome and not good at all. Less forgiving. I guess this is what happens climbing up the HIFI latter… Not sure if this is the route I want to go though. My Harbeths SHL5s is staying for sure but I might want a more neutral sound that is a bit more forgiving without sacrifising the good stuff of the ND5XS. Possible? :upside_down_face:

There’s no simple way to control a Naim streamer from a computer. It’s really intended to use iOS control.
The 2V output of a Naim streamer is not unusual for a digital source, most CD players, DACs and streamers have it. Some are even 3V. With my NDX, it made volume control quite difficult. The solution for me was to stick a Chord Hugo between them, and adjust the variable volume control to the optimum level. You can easily pick up a used Hugo for under £600 now, which makes it a rather expensive volume attenuator, but a bargain if you like the way it sounds.

Unless you control via Roon… sure you can’t switch inputs or control volume (in a standard way) but you can power up play local media, play Qobuz and Tidal and switch off… this can be done by Windows or Max OSX PC.

Indeed, but when I said simple, I meant without adding additional software and hardware, and some expense. Especially with the old models such as the OP’s ND5XS.

Indeed, the legacy streamers don’t support Roon and can only be controlled by I/R or the Naim App on iOS or Android.
Although the legacy streamers can be media push activated… so they will automatically switch to network based audio if a session is setup with it… so you can control via computer in that way with no other bits and pieces, but it is limited.

As others have said, no there isn’t.
Some alternative computor software will work with a NAS, but will not pick up the Naim enabled service options such as Tidal & iRadio, these are embedded in the Naim streamer & somewhat propriety. It was talked about a long while ago with Naim & was turned down because of the work involved & the expected number of people who wanted it especially considering the split with MS.Windows & Apple.Mac

Is there no way to control the volume on the ND5XS with the Naim app?

The ND5XS is a streamer with a fixed output, it is not a pre-amp so it’s not possible to vary the volume in that device.

If you are using the ND5XS with a Naim pre-amp, you can link them together with a 3.5mm cable, and Naim’s “System Automation” allows you then to control the volume via the app. (Unless you’re using pre-2002 amps, like my 52, which don’t have the systems automation feature.)

I have a Supernait 1 which has the 3.5mm remote jack on the back. So I connect the Supernait and the ND5XS with a standard 3.5mm jack cable and go into System Automation and then what? :slight_smile:

You can control the volume of your Supernait with the Naim app
As mentioned above, a 3.5 - 3.5mm (mono or stereo) cable linking the RC5 sockets on ND & SN
Set “System Automation” as per instructions in the manual.

From another thread a link to system automation. (As I have a 52 I’ve never done it myself.)