Naim Superline and AirPlugs

I got my Proteus December 2015, it took me a while to narrow down the loading using my existing plugs, sometimes in pairs, to somewhere between 100R and around 133R. I’d heard Naim were supplying Z foils so ordered a 120R Z foil. After a while I decided 120 was too much so took the 120 plug back to the dealer to be sent back to Naim for a resistor change to 100R. This would have been the summer of 16. We opened it up before sending it to find it didn’t have Z foils in it but the blue cylindrical resistors. Off it went and when it came back Z foils were now in place and the right value too. I don’t think I was charged for the resistor change but that may be because they put the wrong type in in the first place.

Hi Kuma, It a great cartridge that benefits from the Aura to show what it can do. Loved the Aura first time but second I had issues elsewhere hopefully now sorted. First time with 252/300 it produced an exceptional soundstage the day it had to be returned. The Aria is PDG also especially with 552/500. Just liking streaming at the moment.

Phil

Yeti,

In the US side, I always ordered Z-foil Airplug from AV Option but last enquired earlier this year all Airplug not should be ordered from Cymbiosis. But AV Options still supply TX2575 is what I was told.
How it worked was that I ordered a standard Airplug from NAIM and then they take everything out and put the new resistors back in.

It appears that any thing out side of standard values, it’s getting harder to get one made. ( hope someone can correct me on this )

What were the issues?
How does it sound compared to the Superline?

That might be why the 120R came with cylinders and the 100R with foil but I still wasn’t charged the second time.

First time the Aura sounded fantastic but second time there was a nasty hum. Rega checked it but said there was no poor connection on the RCA out. I got rid of it by adjusting the cable. Since then I completely rejigged my racks into three with room behind and Naim glass, cups and balls. Comes down to cable dressing etc. Changed to preloved 552/500 serviced but not DRed. Much better than 252/300 DR. Expect to be blown away by Aura, so not demoing it!

Peter rates the Aura particularly for top Rega etc. Why not demo and tell us your findings.

Phil

ah… those pesky noise problem. Rather common. My Superline overnight developed a motor boarding problem after 12 years of service. Completely out of blue. Checked all the cables and they were fine. The only way to stop the noise is to use a cap plug. ( which I am not at all happy )

I am more curious about Aphelion. Noone really talks about it and would like to know how it fairs with usual other suspects. Past Rega carts were sort of like meh but I think they’ve gotten a much better now.

Yeti,

You must be very special. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

No that’s Naim.

I’ve just checked the box that my Airplug came in from Naim and it definitely say 576R Airplug-Z, Resistive.

Geko are you in the US?

Kuma, last night I opened up my 100R Airplug and it looks like Z foils are inside.

Kuma,

No the UK.

Is there a specific reason?

As mentioned, my airplugs are from Cymbiosis. Just opened and there are Z-foil resistors in.

Oops. my bad. it should have read::woozy_face:
all Airplug should be ordered from Cymbiosis.

Peter told me that AV Option still supplies the TX2575 if one wants anything outside of the normal range ( 453R,470R,560R,576R ) then he gets the parts from AV Options. It’s actually a 3 step process as Naim do not supply blanks. So first you order a regular one from Naim then take everything out from the plug and put the proper resistors back in if one wants a Z plug in the US. That’s how I got to hear the difference between the Z plug and standard one.

But it’s kind of ridiculous. :roll_eyes:

Yours looks much neater than Richards’. But good to know one can still order Z plug directly from NAUK. I was not aware of that.

Naim should just make Airplug a standard. Improvements are significant compared to the stock plugs.

1 Like

My AirPlugs were made by Naim to special order and only a few day turnaround.

Douglas.

I’m back from walking the south west coastal path near St Ives. I believe @Richard.Dane is a big fan of the RP10/Aphelion. He uses Superline. Given Roy Gandi’s obsession with vinyl I doubt you would be disappointed. My first demo of the Aura with mine was breathtaking on the final day when I had to return in. It showed the importance of getting everything matched.

Phil

Phil, I’m still using the Apheta 2. I thought it would be a good intro and then I might move up to the Aphelion or maybe something else. However, the Apheta 2 is much better than I expected and I’m really enjoying it, so I’m in no rush to change. Once it’s worn out, I’ll take a view…

2 Likes

How long do you think it will be before you need it retipped? My understanding is Rega charge about half the new price.

@kuma My System is sounding particularly good this morning presumably less crud on the incoming mains. So after Malia’s Convergence on streaming, which @NigelB described as atmospheric and I would go on to say was sounding electrically charged this morning, I am playing Tina Turner’s Private Dancer on vinyl with the modest Aria. It’s sounding pretty electric also, and I can only guess the Aura would be amazing. What I noticed with the Aura was the soundstage, which brought out all the individual components so well including the backing singers. It brought many of the improvements that come with the 552/500 with a 252/300 DR, which was just too polite with the Aria.

So I think Rega have a good set of MC cartridges and would recommend you try a full Rega setup. Maybe the P10 neo will turn up soon. I do have Superlumina RCA to DIN also.

Phil

I was also very impressed with Apheta 2 as well as their entry level MC Ania for the money. Rega got really good at making cartridges. Apheta 2 might be the sweet spot in their range.