Naim SuperUniti Opiniona

I think you’d benefit from spending around £100 on some mesh wifi. I bought the Tenda Nova MW3 mesh router wifi nodes. With this you’re able to connect to your Superuniti via network cable which is loads more reliable than WiFi and should give you an upgrade on streaming sound quality.

You use zen mini for CD/storage or there was/is a problem with Tidal on superuniti ?

While there is no problem using Tidal natively via the Naim app with the SuperUniti. I found that the sound quality improved when using the Zen.

However, you then need to use iPeng app to control your music and either use digital co-ax or LMS-to-UPnP bridge plugin to connect to the SuperUniti.

At ex dem (roughly half) price I was more than pleased with a Powerline on my SU. It’s now improving my Nova.

1 Like

Another very happy SU user, but I’d echo the comments on using wired Ethernet if at all possible. Mine is driving Harbeth P3ESRs mostly on internet radio, Spotify and doing sound for my projector.

Good to hear :slight_smile: im still thinking what to pick up naim superuniti or dedicated amplifier + maybe raspberry + dac etc etc.

I’ve had a SuperUniti since they were released, and it’s been really good. In that time it’s been supplied with music from a NAS uPNP server, UnitiServe and Uniti Core, and has been connected wired (at first I had a WiFi bridge in the corner of the lounge to connect to the rest of the house, and then wired after a house renovation.

I’ve recently upgraded to an NDX 2, and added a 250DR, so the SuperUniti is working as a pre-amp. I’ll replace it with a dedicated pre at some point, but have probably spent enough on the stereo this year :wink:

I went down a similar upgrade path a while ago, one box at a time, moving from SU to NDX/282/200DR. The final stage of adding the 282 gave by far the biggest upgrade to sound quality.

1 Like

That’s what I’m hoping - I’ll need to keep an eye out for a well-priced 282 (or 252, if I can find one) over the next year.

Yes, and a rack with enough shelves too. The cost adds up!

Its always the same :wink: neverending story :slight_smile:

I’ve got a line on that one - my local dealer has a good option on a Fraim plus an additional shelf. That way, if I wall mount the TV and Sonos soundbar, everything will fit on the rack with the NDX 2 on the top.

Not a brain/brawn split rack, but I’m not going to get that sort of floorspace past the auditors :wink:

Sounds like a plan! You might be able to lose the soundbar if you connect your TV to the NDX2 optical input.

Thanks all for help and suggestions but i just get info that my work time has been reduced to 50% and also salary to 50% so i have to wait for the better times :slight_smile: hope i will get naim sooner or later :wink:

cheers!

In ways it’s one of the most versatile boxes Naim has made, personally I don’t think the nova matches it for usability. Even as a preamp with a NAP I think it fits a lot of use cases.

A couple of minor drawbacks: no line out (bizarre as old Uniti(2) does), no phono power for stageline (even though Uniti does too), no inbuilt phono stage (understandable given when SU was designed). Also would be nice to have a delay parameter on digital inputs to ease integration with AV setups. Personally I’d love if the speaker config (Int/ext/both amps) could be set from the app.

Yes, as others have said, the Superuniti is a super piece of kit. I really can’t believe how good mine sounds, and I’ve had some very high quality gear in the past. The SU just simplified the entire music situation for me. Highly recommended.

Dave

3 Likes

I use a ND5XS streamer into a Supernait 2 with rebuilt (like totally) Ditton 44’s. To my ears (and those of my missus) we think it sounds superb. We use Tidal…£20/month subscription and it’s streamed over our WiFi no problems at all. We do have a Google mesh WiFi which is totally brilliant but not cheap. We have three ‘pods’ around the house which cost £300, so not the cheapest but definitely one of the best solutions for wireless streaming out there. As I said…no issues at all (listening to a jazz playlist on tidal as I type this).

1 Like

Since my last post I too now have a Superuniti in my (our… I do have a missus) bedroom set-up.
I’m using a pair of (what has to be one of my favourite ever speakers) Acoustic Energy AE1’s.
I’ve got them supported on early AE1 stands (predates the fluted version) and I have to say the soundstage in front of us is incredible. That’s using (just) Tidal’s 44.1Khz/16 bit CD quality not high resolution files over WiFi.
So I would urge you to flush out some second hand anywhere between £300 to £500 should find you a decent pair…

And they have to be in black!

3 Likes

I’m happy to hear that your SN2 and ND5 XS setup sounds so good. I just got a SN2 that I’m running my Superuniti thru (SU pre to SN2 amp), and it sounds pretty good, but I’m planning on getting an NDX2 to go with the SN2. If I happen upon a good deal on an ND5 XS in the meantime, maybe I’ll give it a try …

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.