Naim system with log burners

What have you done?

The right thing, lost out financially, and happy to have done so.

With respect, whatever it is may not be practical or affordable for everyone.

Electric cars are completely impractical for me currently as are heat-pumps, if they’d been remotely on the radar 5-6 years ago perhaps an option but expensive work around that time now makes them completely impractical and unaffordable in the short term.

Ok, spending 4-5k on a separate recently is comparatively extravagant but a fraction of the cost of other works.

I noticed the other day that our electric supply is capped at 60A, whereas much higher is needed for supplies for e-vehicles even assuming we could install a connection safely.

Can’t find it currently but there was an article recently on the beeb where someone would have had to spend 25-30k simply to upgrade their electricity supply to be suitable to run an e-vehicle charger - a pipedream for most.

1 Like

To get back on track, one observation with log burners is that unlike other heating devices they are comparatively noisy.

All very well sitting down with a nice glass of something and the flickering glow of a fire, but the air intake and crackles of fuel burning can cause audible effects you probably don’t get otherwise - so if a low noise floor is ideal, you may lose it with a log burner!

1 Like

Electric? There’s a lot of nuclear generation in France and therefore it’s largely green energy, just like gas, as long as it’s European gas. :grin:

Thread drift but around here windmills are springing up all over the place, and my log burner uses only logs cut locally by the subsistence farmer in our hamlet. Employing local people and going green. Smug, I am. :rofl:

1 Like

A modern fire place using properly dry wood is fine for the environment and better than fossil fuel generated heating, be it gas, or power generated from non renewable. So I wouldn’t worry on that regard. Dust has never been an issue for us, but always dust the fire box before the first fire of the season.

4 Likes

HH, we have the exact same fire.
Lovely in winter.

I’ll have to do the ‘blue’ test - never noticed before, but I wasn’t looking for it.

The only downside I’ve seen in various articles is that the simple act of opening the door to refuel leads to huge amounts of PM2.5 particulates entering the room even if we’re unaware of them.

Does anyone who burns wood etc use any kind of internal monitor as you would for smoke or CO?

Yes. I have a co monitor and the usual smoke monitors.

You open the flume on the fire box before opening the door. This will create an updraft to avoid smoke or particles entering the room.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant in addition - there are monitors for unhealthy fine particulate matter available now - many air purifier solutions incorporate them too.

Ah. No.

Great tip - often do that tbh, and I suspect many ‘studies’ don’t consider such good practice.

1 Like

Here’s mine, kicks out a lot of heat so need to leave the door open if it’s mild out.

1 Like

The cat is surely in charge ? :wink:

I moved into my cottage in 2006; then, I just had 1950’s style open fires so my system shared the room. When I renovated the cottage I opened up the fire places so that they could take log burners. The log burners produce less dust, but there is still a lot coming in from the road, and farm traffic. I’ve now moved the boxes into a stairwell, but they still collect dust.

Funnily enough the place I’m buying has a log burner in the lounge but the current owner said he hasn’t used it in years and advised to get the chimney swept if we were going to.

I have spent a fair few weeks and weekends in a teepee with a fire going in the middle in my 20s. Sometimes the smoke level got quite low before we got the hang of setting the wind flaps. It was half size, just about portable on a motorcycle if there was no pillion and and someone else carried the fireplace (the sawn off bottom of an oil drum with legs to keep it off the ground). It slept six and was great for winter bike rallies.
On one holiday in Devon we even had a generator along (brought by car) and ran a tape based music system in it but I don’t have any photos.

2 Likes

Log burner or electric fire or gas fire, or no fire:- it has absolutely ZERO impact on the performance of your NAIM audio system.

3 Likes

I’ve had a few different woodburners over the years, and the only time they have made any noise was when the air vents were wide open, which they should never be unless you are lighting it. Transformer hum is more intrusive.

5 Likes