Naim the future. Anyone have a crystal ball?

I don’t think Naim will be to worried what’s best for current owners but I’m sure there would be a bit of a over lap to allow users to order missing boxes.
If you think about it a Nova with a matching power amp would be very appealing to many, or 2 in a mono configuration.
No need for the 200 series at all so the 5 series is pretty much gone now ( effectively replaced by the Uniti series ) so it’s just what gets done to the 282 / 252.
Maybe the 500 series gets left alone for the time being.

1 Like

my guess for their their next step:

• reduce the PSU options (maybe one or two lines for all products source, pre-amp etc)
  • new Pre-amps
    My wish:
  • a 555 NAS/HDX/melco thing :wink: with modular options (w/o DAC, etc)

I’m still “in” with the Statement format. If they could do a one-box pre and one-box power of that calibre, they can repeat it on a smaller scale.

1 Like

@HiFiFoFum

So the 272 replacement adds an 80w power amp? As you suggested, if they have solved the problem of PSU In the box it’s going to have a ready made fan base.

272 is done … it won’t be replaced just doesn’t make sense unless it comes back as a Nova with out the amp.
And yes there will be a new fan base just like with the change over from “ Olive “ to “Reference” happened, if Naim had not done that back in the early 2000’s I don’t think they would of been around today.
Change is good and it’s going to happen and “ The New Fan “ base will be already to buy, not to mention the used market needs more supply as well

1 Like

I tend to agree with you on this. I waited for the magical 272 replacement, but I’m now perfectly happy(for now) with a SN3.
New updated faceplates for the pre-amps is needed IMHO as I’m part of “The New Fan” base.

@marcusman

To mix metaphors I would include myself as a Naim baby learning how it’s all set up nowadays and a dinosaur on the kit I want to own.

I come from the flat earth generation that only wanted separates and the only separates worth listening too were 32/Hicap/250. Consequently its difficult to see Naim moving away from there original range of separates completely.

But dinosaurs will be extinct one day so maybe Naim have to move on.

1 Like

That’d be a “SuperNova.”

1 Like

@HiFiFoFum

I jumped from CB to DR in 2015 so missed the Olive range but wasn’t it largely cosmetic?

Regardless, I honor the elders in the Naim community. I’ve learned so much and I’m still learning. I still want a path forward for separates, I just want the faceplates updated. I don’t have and doubt that tape recorders will make a comeback… Just my opinion.

That’s pretty much it! Pretty much what we discussed just yesterday

2 Likes

Sorry guys, I broke my crystal ball this morning … interesting thread however!

1 Like

If I may be so bold, I would suggest they have most definitely strayed from the ethos of JV in ways big and small.

That is not to say there aren’t many current products that their customers enjoy.

All this talk of new faceplates - what’s wrong with the current classic series? The Uniti range is a nasty plasticised blip and the sooner the look is scrapped the better. Only a few people own Statement and to design the whole range around it would really be the tail wagging the dog.

14 Likes

I agree

The cosmetics of the Classic range still look good to me

8 Likes

Going to have to disagree with you there. IMO the new Uniti range is beautifully designed and finished The Classic range looks exactly like something from the 90’s to be used in room with leather sofas and black ash furniture. It’s time the rest of the range was brought in to the present ( or future, god forbid). Fully expecting to have opprobrium heaped on me for this. Chacun a son gout

9 Likes

I’ve got a Nova which I think looks lovely, I’m also really fond of the look of my ND555 and my Olive amps.

4 Likes

A very diplomatic response

I think the classic range looks gert lush on a black ash full fat Fraim.

2 Likes

I am another one who dislikes the look of the uniti range. I think the classic range looks as current and as fresh as the day it was conceived.

I am still amazed they changed the logo for white. Green = Naim.

10 Likes