Naim Transformer hum (or not) to AC mains type poll

Your opinion is highly respected and your objection to the methodology duly noted.

Though I still disagree. I am trying to strike the right balance between what is useful to know and what can be reasonably expected from the average user. I strongly suspect that most UK users (for example) will select 240v. Given enough responses, even with erroneous outliers, the data can be made meaningful. At the most simple basis, we can treat low voltage (115v units) and high voltage (230v units) as separate user groups and just knowing if one specific large group has more of a problem than the other is (I think) useful. Depending on the outcome it may be worth drilling down further with a follow up poll. There are a number of other factors that are potentially useful such as frequency, measured output, radial versus ring etc. I doubt the direction will be clear until we start with some basics.

But until then, Iā€™d prefer to capture the data first. 500 responses or 30 days - whichever comes first.

Once we have those and I slice the data a bit, you can tear it to shreds and tell me itā€™s all idiotic to your heartā€™s content. Well, you can do that now, but Iā€™d ask you to hold off.

5 Likes

A built-in difficulty with this is that those with a problem, or who have had a problem, are much more likely to respond - than those who have never had a problemā€¦ :expressionless:

Also, I would think there are far more 230/240 V units out there, than any other voltage.

ā€œIn the UK, the declared voltage and tolerance for an electricity supply is 230 volts -6%, +10%. This gives an allowed voltage range of 216.2 volts to 253.0 volts .ā€

So the UK Nominal Voltage is 230V AC.

The discussion on using nominal voltage wasnā€™t there when I responded, so I enter a value of 250+, for the time when my substation was incorrectly configured (for 25 years), and the now 240+ value which is what it currently is. I get humming from both, but slightly less now. During the substation reconfigure, it was temporarily set to about 235, and the humming was nearly completely gone, however they couldnā€™t keep this setting as it would effect the houses furthest from the substation with under-voltage. Sorry if that skews your figures, as I should have answered ā€œyes-230V nominalā€, but then because I know that if I had 230V actual, then I would get a hum.

Iā€™d quite like to see a humming issue by country, as I suspect the issue is more in the UK because of this very large accepted bandwidth ( 216.2-253.0V) which we came up with purely to match Europe and our existing Infrastructure. It would be very interesting to know what the measured Voltage is at Salisbury head office, and would place a small bet that itā€™s on the lower side.

One thing at a time :wink:

Thanks for setting this up FZ. Looking forward to the analysis, particularly the breakdown by component axis deviation from magnetic north.

1 Like

No from me but yes from Mrs TT73. I say itā€™s her tinnitus she says itā€™s my hearing!

1 Like

I responded Ā« No Ā», for 230 v here in France. However in the same apartment , some other Naim ps I had were humming. I have only a 555 dr today. Most of the time itā€™s not humming, however, sometimes, rarely, itā€™s humming.
Since I upgraded my powerblock and power cord to wall 3 years ago, my 555 dr is silent most of the time. But before it was humming much more frequently.

Rated at 220 volts, but Iā€™m actually getting 215 volts to 235 volts.

My Naim boxesā€™ trannies donā€™t hum (as far as I can hear).

Iā€™m just using a simple power block with stock (built in) power cord. No filters or DC blockers whatsoever.

I have noticed this too. The humming is inconsistent. Sometimes there is hum and sometimes there is not. Iā€™m also sondering if the hum is more apparent during winter time than during summer time. Here in Sweden the consumption of electricity must be much higher during winter and perhaps the grid affects the toriodals more when under pressure.

2 Likes

I only ever have a hum when the bathroom extractors are running. I must get around to putting some suppressors on them.

I am struggling to see what the point of the exercise is, whatever the methodology.

1 Like

@feeling_zen ā€“ Good idea, this!

I live in the US and have never heard any hum from the 11 or so Naim boxes Iā€™ve had over the years.

Like you, Iā€™ve suspected that hum is mainly a UK phenomenon.

You could use a plug-in monitor (under Ā£20) that can display the actual voltage in real time, and see if there is any correlation. The other common cause is DC on the mains, often caused by some item of equipment which could be in your home, such as a ā€˜fridge or freezer, with the DC and the resultant hum happening whenever its thermostat turns the compressor on. Iā€™m not sure if there are any readily available plug-in monitors that in the same way can show when there is DC, but a simple investigative process can soon tell you if it is one or more appliances in your own home.

Interesting that so far the results show that there is no humming where nominal voltages are under 220Volts

Thank you! I have one outlet with a built in dc blocker. It doesnā€™t make any difference Iā€™ve heard.

1 Like

I have owned 19 Naim amps or power supplies. One Nap 250 olive and an XPS hummed. The others had no problem. US based.

I picked no 230v because I didnā€™t read the comments first and foolishly believed google so I apparently should have selected 240v I had no idea

Hopefully just one outlier in the statistics then

Voted both yes and no (for 230v) since I had more prominent hum before changeing to all Naim Powerlines and later used a new rack with thick glass shelves on sorbothane feet.
Now its almost inaudible. But then again, I can hear when the tv is on (on mute) too, every home and every tv Ive ever hadā€¦

Supernait 1 - hummed at listening position.

Unitilite - no hum

Supernait 3 - hum at 30cm

Nap v145 (1 channel nap250.2) hum at listening position unless placed in closed cabinet! Been serviced by Naim and new transformer still hums. Tested a dealers - still hums. still it does sound great for movies.

ND5 xs2 - hums at 30cm

Cdx2 - no hum

1 Like